The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apply to wherever you want to go.
Reply 2
i'd always reccomend people to go to the place they think they will be happier. you're going to be there 3 years, being happy may not seem important at first, and prestige might seem the most important element. but 2/3 years down the line being miserable will be horrible.
You can live at home for the first year, meet some cool people, then move out of your parents and live with cool people for years two and three? Save your cash on the first year..then spending spee the later years, best of both worlds.
hh
Err, OK?

So what do you want us to do about all this?
Reply 6
go for the city.
BritPakistaniMuslimah
I dunno - money isn't an issue if I go to Keele. But trust me it's a BORING place to be living in. But it makes sense to become financially stable too, right? I'm going to need 320 pts to get into Keele

Whats your priority? Fun or education... getting a degree at either will lead into the same job prospects, so really if you know, take the jump.
Reply 8
Go for the one you like the most.
BritPakistaniMuslimah
I live about 30 minutes away from Keele university (yes I know I shouldn't post my location on the internet but it is relevant). I'm applying to uni to study Biology and Psychology as a joint honours and having asian parents means there's absolutely no guilt in staying with them while I'm at uni. Keele is so close to home, has a pretty good rep - with a brilliant science department and cheap food/living/transport costs. In effect if I went to Keele, I'd only have to pay for transport and my course fees.

However, the city I live in is atrociously boring with NOTHING to do. Since it's so boring here and since I'd like to have a little independance, I want to apply to Manchester Met, Manchester University and Salford as well as a few other places so I can have some fun at uni as well as there's a lot to do in Manchester, and I can meet loads of new people. But the reputations and quality of Salford and Man Met are both nowhere near as good as Keele, plus course fees have hiked up this year so I'd have to hold down quite a few jobs.

Would I be a complete idiot NOT to go to Keele? I feel like an idiot :s-smilie: coz Keele is a pretty prestigious university. At the same time, if I did go to Keele, I'd be living with my parents, so wouldn't exactly get to meet and make friends with a lot of people. But the benefits of Keele are many.

On the other hand though I'd be able to enjoy myself in Manchester more.

(Btw I know someone studying Biomed sciences in Man Met who had Keele as her 5th choice even though she lives minutes away from Keele. She's loving living in Manchester (coz it's a great city))

Your motivation will directly affect your work performance. Do what you want to do :smile:
surely you'd want to go to Manchester Uni- considering that's got a pretty good rep, and is in manchester...
Reply 11
Depends if you're going for the reputation or the experience. You've already said you think your town is boring and you want freedom. So..think about which is more important. :\
darkeneddreams
Whats your priority? Fun or education... getting a degree at either will lead into the same job prospects, so really if you know, take the jump.

True. Cheers
Reply 13
Mate, Keele isn't that bad. Well if you're not gonna move onto campus then it might be boring but campus life is so laid back and different to living in the 'real world'. Seriously, Keele is like living in a bubble. There's always things to do and the night life is brilliant to say we're a University on top of a hill in the countryside. Stoke is a bit bob, I know what you mean. When i'm at Keele I only go off campus to go shopping because for me it caters to what I want from University (a good working environment and a good night life for when I want to go out).

It really depends on what you want.

You spoke of Manchester, I'm from the Manchester area, it's my local city but I upped sticks and moved to Keele.

Do what is best for you. Decide what you want from University and go with that. Don't feel pressured to go to Keele just because it's local :smile:
Reply 14
Which one is better, Keele or Manchester by the way? Forgive my ignorance:p: .

And is Manchester still good? If its a decent uni then by god, move out and grab that freedom like mel gibson from braveheart would!

Plus after uni you can tell your parents that you've found a good job and not have to move home if you dnt want to.
personally i think there's a lot to be said for leaving home.

I was in a similar situation recently and I chose a course that I think would be much harder than the one I would have done had I of stayed at home.

I'm so glad I did uni at Manchester because uni is soooo much more than studying.

Apply to the unis both near and far from home and make the decision when you know what your options are more fully
Go where your heart says.

I've not known to live in a boring town but if I did, i'd definitely go to a uni out of town! Peronsally, thats only if money isn't much of an issue.
Reply 17
Also OP as I said in the Keele bit, I know what you mean about the local area being boring, I hated living off campus. But I think to fully appreciate Keele you have to live on campus.

Good luck with your decision though x
hh
hh

Latest

Trending

Trending