The Student Room Group

Unpacking and parents

So this could be a slight problem when I go to university in about two weeks time :s-smilie:

My dad is going to drive me to university for the first time and my mum might come too. He's going to help me unpack as well. But this is where the problem lies - I get kind of embarrassed when my parents are around my friends (I can't act relaxed and like my normal self). I'm sure I'll meet people unpacking their stuff in my halls of residence, and I'm sure also that I'll say hello and strike up conversation with them. But my dad (and mum maybe) will be there and it'll all seem awkward. I don't want to mess it up and give off the wrong impression, and I can't give the excuse "oh, my dad is here, I act better without him around" :s-smilie:

How did people deal with this situation (if they got their parents to take them) when they first started university?
Move in a day before everyone else?
Reply 2
sil3nt_cha0s
So this could be a slight problem when I go to university in about two weeks time :s-smilie:

My dad is going to drive me to university for the first time and my mum might come too. He's going to help me unpack as well. But this is where the problem lies - I get kind of embarrassed when my parents are around my friends (I can't act relaxed and like my normal self). I'm sure I'll meet people unpacking their stuff in my halls of residence, and I'm sure also that I'll say hello and strike up conversation with them. But my dad (and mum maybe) will be there and it'll all seem awkward. I don't want to mess it up and give off the wrong impression, and I can't give the excuse "oh, my dad is here, I act better without him around" :s-smilie:

How did people deal with this situation (if they got their parents to take them) when they first started university?

I thought you had to already be at university to be a PS helper?
Reply 3
Sh4w
I thought you had to already be at university to be a PS helper?

They were short on helpers for my subject so I showed them proof of my offer and they let me be one.
Reply 4
Everyone will be nervous on the first day, so don't worry about it - once they've left in the evening you can start to relax and get to know your flatmates :smile:
Reply 5
sil3nt_cha0s
They were short on helpers for my subject so I showed them proof of my offer and they let me be one.

What are the perks?
leave your parents in the room unpacking and you go talk to people.
Yeah I'm awkward with my parents around. I've told them I'll unpack myself!
Reply 8
sil3nt_cha0s

Oh right, cool.

On topic, your parents won't hang around for long will they?
Reply 9
londonboym
What are the perks?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library

Now answer my thread question :rolleyes:
Sh4w
Oh right, cool.

On topic, your parents won't hang around for long will they?

They're gonna hang around when I'm unpacking everything, which could be a while...
Reply 11
Dude, Your parents are there to help you, not to embarrass you, people wont even care about them.
I moved myself in for this reason. OP my flat mates just spent an hour or so with their rooms doors closed before their parents left.
i plan to get to my hall, drop my stuff off, maybe hang around a bit, then go shopping with parents for fresh food.

it could be the last time they pay for my food:p:
Reply 14
alexsheppard11
i plan to get to my hall, drop my stuff off, maybe hang around a bit, then go shopping with parents for fresh food.

it could be the last time they pay for my food:p:

That's true, you don't want to take those precious family moments for granted :biggrin:
Most people are awkward on move in day, and most people have the weird thing where you don't want to chuck your parents out, but also want to get to know people.

You're not the only one. Deal with it, wave your parents goodbye (but not before they've bestowed a Tesco shop on you), then get on and enjoy your evening. It's one afternoon of freshers week, let alone the whole of uni. It'll be forgotten soon, and I'm sure you won't make half as bad an impression as you fear.
Just tell your ma & pa to shove it once they've hoisted all your stuff up to your room. That's what I'm going to do! I don't think I could stand being in halls with my parents for any more time than was absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't be worried about it - most people at university will be coming from far and wide with a lot of crap, and will have their parents along to help. It's normal.
Remember your parents will only be there in your flat for a matter of minutes.

You've got an entire year to get to know your flatmates, don't worry about it, stay positive, everyone will be nervous aswell.

Stay cool and relaxed and just be yourself :smile:
Reply 18
My parents went up to the kitchen where everyone was...explored every inch of the halls and stayed for about 3 hours sorting out internet/packing/supplies etc...

Noone will care.

Latest

Trending

Trending