The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I also got four B's at AS. :frown:
We definitely need to be predicted 3A's minimum, but my chemistry teacher is refusing to talk about predictions, they're not allowed to talk about them. So, I think she's most likely predicted me a B. She didn't even let me explain my situation about medicine etc. Damn.
Smiles_m
Thanks :smile: I'll see what I'm predicted and give it a shot. I haven't got anything to lose. Hopefully I'll be predicted an A for maths. I'm not opposed to taking a gap year though.

Be careful though because taking a gap year is not as an interesting option as it looks - next year there will probably be no AAB universities, and the competition will likely continue to rise.
Reply 782
jimbob_
I also got four B's at AS. :frown:
We definitely need to be predicted 3A's minimum, but my chemistry teacher is refusing to talk about predictions, they're not allowed to talk about them. So, I think she's most likely predicted me a B. She didn't even let me explain my situation about medicine etc. Damn.

Don't worry about that, bully her into predicting you an A and explain yourself to her. Teachers have hearts too... it worked for me :biggrin:
Reply 783
lolman87
Don't worry about that, bully her into predicting you an A and explain yourself to her. Teachers have hearts too... it worked for me :biggrin:

Lol, yes! I'll try that on Monday since I have a lesson with her. That's good, that's good, you got your prediction! :biggrin: Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how far were you off an A in your subjects?

For me, I was 1 mark off an A in economics and biology but 10 marks for chemistry and maths. So, quite a few marks. :frown:

So, I'm going to retake chemistry unit 2, but have to get a really high mark in the top 80s/90s to get a high A overall.

But it's good to hear you got your prediction! I hope I get mine too.
Reply 784
Hey I did my UKCAT today and was sooo nervous!!! :o: : So I only managed 635 and I really wanted something higher. Is this good enough to study Medicine at Kings College London?? There are applicants with amazing scores (like 700+ :woo:), do I stand a chance?

Oh yeah I got alright GCSE's (10A* 3A 2B 1C) and 4 a's at AS Level.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 785
King's combines your UKCAT score with the number of A*s you have at GCSE. As I was told on the open day. So, I think you still stand a very good chance. :smile:
jimbob_
Lol, yes! I'll try that on Monday since I have a lesson with her. That's good, that's good, you got your prediction! :biggrin: Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how far were you off an A in your subjects?

For me, I was 1 mark off an A in economics and biology but 10 marks for chemistry and maths. So, quite a few marks. :frown:

So, I'm going to retake chemistry unit 2, but have to get a really high mark in the top 80s/90s to get a high A overall.

10 marks? That's only half way between isn't it? All you need is 2 85s at A2 to make up for that

Persuading teachers isn't that hard as long as you have a persuasive argument, I wanted to add another subject to what I was studying last week, I spoke to my maths and economics teachers, told them what I wanted to study for my degree(maths), argued that another A level(English) I was taking wouldnt add to my application and also since I'd have to split my time between classes due to a clash I wouldnt get a high grade in all likelihood in English but the new one(chemistry) would help my app and that I was also good at sciences(got BB for my double award science GCSE - could've got AA as well), not forgetting I subtly showed my determination and they agreed with me, my English teacher did too when I checked with him.
Reply 787
alexs2602
10 marks? That's only half way between isn't it? All you need is 2 85s at A2 to make up for that

Persuading teachers isn't that hard as long as you have a persuasive argument, I wanted to add another subject to what I was studying last week, I spoke to my maths and economics teachers, told them what I wanted to study for my degree(maths), argued that another A level(English) I was taking wouldnt add to my application and also since I'd have to split my time between classes due to a clash I wouldnt get a high grade in all likelihood in English but the new one(chemistry) would help my app and that I was also good at sciences(got BB for my double award science GCSE - could've got AA as well), not forgetting I subtly showed my determination and they agreed with me, my English teacher did too when I checked with him.

So, is it two 85s without retaking? Ahh, thanks for the inspiring story :biggrin: I'll definitely talk to her on Monday, she already knows I want to do medicine because when I applied for head girl, I had my interview with her and the director of sixth form. So, in that interview I did mention medicine quite a lot. So, hopefully she'll agree. :smile:
Reply 788
indie_couture
I would think about applying to Sheffield and Manchester, Sheffield I know for sure have a higher cut off than your score. Manchester I have a feeling you may be at a disadvantage with your score again though I would try and find this out from last years applicants.
Off the top of my head you should look at Bristol (dont use UKCAT), BSMS, maybe Southampton?, Keele..Maybe look in the wiki for how specific unis use the UKCAT or ring them up and ask if they have a cut off for interview. Oh depending on what your lowest UKCAT score is maybe leicester? But dont if you got one low as they rank using the lowest or give points.
Hope i have been of some help xxx

xconfetti
I wouldn't apply for Manchester, sorry :frown: I got rejected from there with 635 average last year due to UKCAT and the cutoff is likely to rise again this year. Liverpool don't use the UKCAT so you're fine there :smile: And I'm fairly sure Sheffield also have a high UKCAT cutoff usually as well.. If I remember correctly it was 685 last year but you might want to check this. Not sure about Leeds, sorry.

Apparently Keele don't place a lot of emphasis on UKCAT, it's more about PS, and Cardiff use a points system whereby you gain points for GCSEs (can't remember details sorry)... but I do remember people last year getting interviews at Cardiff with UKCATs in the 620s :smile:

People correct me if I'm wrong ^^

thanks.. yeah i don't think i'll be applying to sheffield.. manchester said they interview within a range of 1900 and above so do you think i can still be considered for interview? or is there no point at all in applying?? i live in manchester and ideally i would love to stay near home.. so bristol and cardiff aren't really good choices for me.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thank you xx
Reply 789
Just sat the UKCAT today in Kingston so was coming question where would I be suited with my academics. General Certificate of Secondary Education 8A* and 4A. Advanced Subsidary Levels: 4A (including: bio/chem/aqa maths/english lit). Predicted:3A (bio/chem/maths) UKCAT=630 average.
ATM, I am thinking of applying to 3 UKCAT and 1 BMAT but I would like to know what everyone else thinks especially if you too have a similar record. I know that Sheffield/Newcastle is out of the question, but I am looking at some others in particular: Brighton and Sussex/BARTS/St Georges/Nottingham/Kings/Brimingham/Bristol/Southampton.
Cheers
dude simples. obviously apply this year but it's unlikely you'll get any offers.

Just get really impressive A2 (easier said than done, but it's possible 8-) )and then take a gap year and go to a good place
jimbob_
So, is it two 85s without retaking? Ahh, thanks for the inspiring story :biggrin: I'll definitely talk to her on Monday, she already knows I want to do medicine because when I applied for head girl, I had my interview with her and the director of sixth form. So, in that interview I did mention medicine quite a lot. So, hopefully she'll agree. :smile:

And these were teachers who were against me taking chem when I first started talking to them, to quote my Maths teacher, "No no, don't take chemistry, continue with English, they prefer A2s to AS levels"(in an Irish accent), not forgetting he was saying I shouldnt do further maths to A2 in the space of a year as well. I've only sat one further maths unit so far.

What you might do is take a resit anyway like you said to fall back on and go for the 85UMS+(or better still 90 because it's better to aim high) in the next 2 A2 exams. If you have any weak areas(like my essay writing isn't great) then mention that you're going to do your best to improve them too working in your own time, so basically you want to show to your best ability that you're willing to put in the effort to get these grades.
Gcse- 4A*, 8A's
A levels
Maths- 289/300(A)
Biology- 286/300(A)
Chemistry- 276/300(A)
Physics- 282/300 (A)

UKCAT- on 11th, brickin it
Extracurriculars- music, rugby cricket volunteering, job as teaching assistant,blah blah.
i wanted to apply cambridge, are my grades enough??
im applyin UCL- good idea?
if i get a good UKCAT, Newcastle + Sheffield, Barts good idea?
and if i dont, Lancaster+ UEA+ which otherdo you think

Thanks for the help!
Reply 793
OK people i really need some help deciding where to apply for medicine.
I am applying for two BMAT unis. First i was advised to apply Cambridge but then one of my teachers suggested Oxford instead due to a less boring course....then also i am torn of UCL and Imperial as to which one to choose or whether i should apply to both and then not apply oxbridge....finally my other two options. I was considering Kings as a third choice but am not too keen on the area and finally I need a back up and names such as nottingham, sheffield, birmingham have been tossed around.

I know what ive written is all jumbled up but pleasse help my deadline is next week for uni choices :woo: :woo: :woo:
bahadur1
Just sat the UKCAT today in Kingston so was coming question where would I be suited with my academics. General Certificate of Secondary Education 8A* and 4A. Advanced Subsidary Levels: 4A (including: bio/chem/aqa maths/english lit). Predicted:3A (bio/chem/maths) UKCAT=630 average.
ATM, I am thinking of applying to 3 UKCAT and 1 BMAT but I would like to know what everyone else thinks especially if you too have a similar record. I know that Sheffield/Newcastle is out of the question, but I am looking at some others in particular: Brighton and Sussex/BARTS/St Georges/Nottingham/Kings/Brimingham/Bristol/Southampton.
Cheers

Liverpool, Bristol, Georges out of the 'UKCAT' and don't know anything about BMAT so cannot help there :smile:
also think about which one you would prefer... consider things like location, course type, type of uni, etc etc. youre gonna be spending at least 5 yrs of ya life there so make sure you like it :smile:

you have a good enough app that you have alot of choice (apart from ukcat) and so make sure your PS is top notch,
Reply 796
alexs2602
And these were teachers who were against me taking chem when I first started talking to them, to quote my Maths teacher, "No no, don't take chemistry, continue with English, they prefer A2s to AS levels"(in an Irish accent), not forgetting he was saying I shouldnt do further maths to A2 in the space of a year as well. I've only sat one further maths unit so far.

What you might do is take a resit anyway like you said to fall back on and go for the 85UMS+(or better still 90 because it's better to aim high) in the next 2 A2 exams. If you have any weak areas(like my essay writing isn't great) then mention that you're going to do your best to improve them too working in your own time, so basically you want to show to your best ability that you're willing to put in the effort to get these grades.

Ahh okay, so you're in year 13 too, now? Lol at the Irish accent. :p: It's great though, everything worked out for you. :smile:
Yep, I'm definitely retaking to get a high A at AS. Okay, cool, I'll definitely aim for that! The thing is, I don't know what my weak areas are, I think it was my exam technique because I got my exam script back for chemistry unit 2. I got majority of the questions correct, it was that I just messed up on little 1 mark questions which obviously had a great impact. Also, I remember sleeping quite late the night before the exam. This year didn't go very well for me, I had family problems etc which took up a lot of my time. Yep, I dropped economics now, so I have more free periods in which I revise for my resits. I messed up in my maths C2 exam because I didn't eat anything that afternoon and I had a really bad brain freeze in the exam, so my mind went blank.

So it was stupid things like these that brought me down. Otherwise, I don't think I have any particular weak areas. But, thanks a lot for the advice, it's time to work work work. I mean the worst that can happen is I get rejected this year and will have to reapply next year, but as long as I have those A's by the end of this year, I should be fine. I have UKCAT on sept 30th. :smile:
jimbob_
Ahh okay, so you're in year 13 too, now? Lol at the Irish accent. :p: It's great though, everything worked out for you. :smile:
Yep, I'm definitely retaking to get a high A at AS. Okay, cool, I'll definitely aim for that! The thing is, I don't know what my weak areas are, I think it was my exam technique because I got my exam script back for chemistry unit 2. I got majority of the questions correct, it was that I just messed up on little 1 mark questions which obviously had a great impact. Also, I remember sleeping quite late the night before the exam. This year didn't go very well for me, I had family problems etc which took up a lot of my time. Yep, I dropped economics now, so I have more free periods in which I revise for my resits. I messed up in my maths C2 exam because I didn't eat anything that afternoon and I had a really bad brain freeze in the exam, so my mind went blank.

So it was stupid things like these that brought me down. Otherwise, I don't think I have any particular weak areas. But, thanks a lot for the advice, it's time to work work work. I mean the worst that can happen is I get rejected this year and will have to reapply next year, but as long as I have those A's by the end of this year, I should be fine. I have UKCAT on sept 30th. :smile:

Technically... kinda... it is very complicated, point is I hope to go to university in 2011. I have to persuade two of my teachers to give me my predicted grades now too in all likelihood, shouldnt be all that bad but it's going to be my the bit I worry about most considering my GCSEs were relatively decent(not TSR standard but good enough), I won't enter my grades into my UCAS form and I'm trying to write an extremely strong PS. Have you started your PS? I started mine about 3 and a bit months ago but I've taken at least a month off

That's one(or three) thing(s) you've got to do to prepare for exams; bring plenty of chilled water(I normally freeze water and let it melt for summer), bring food or money for food and headache tablets probably wouldnt go amiss either.
Reply 798
alexs2602
Technically... kinda... it is very complicated, point is I hope to go to university in 2011. I have to persuade two of my teachers to give me my predicted grades now too in all likelihood, shouldnt be all that bad but it's going to be my the bit I worry about most considering my GCSEs were relatively decent(not TSR standard but good enough), I won't enter my grades into my UCAS form and I'm trying to write an extremely strong PS. Have you started your PS? I started mine about 3 and a bit months ago but I've taken at least a month off

That's one(or three) thing(s) you've got to do to prepare for exams; bring plenty of chilled water(I normally freeze water and let it melt for summer), bring food or money for food and headache tablets probably wouldnt go amiss either.

Yep, indeed it is very complicated. :frown: Ideally, I would also definitely love to go university this year too. But, I've learnt to accept the worst if it does happen which is I'll get rejected this year. I think I'll get predicted an A for biology this I was one mark off. But, yeah, I also have to convince my maths and chemistry teacher yet. *Sigh*, I've put myself in such a difficult situation, but the most I can do now is work unbelievably hard. I mean it is possible, lots of people don't as well in AS but do amazing at A2. I mean, I was to this guy on TSR, he got ABBB for his AS, did a few resits, worked uber hard and got A*AA for his A levels and got into medical school. Same same, my GCSEs aren't TSR standard, lol, I got 1A* 9A's, 1B...so yeah. Then on top of that, I messed up my AS.

Yep, 'course I've started my PS. :p: Just going to finish for Monday to start showing to a few people. I have an internal school deadline for 24th Sept. So, have to finish it really soon. Yep, I need to do that for January! :smile:
Reply 799
jimbob_

Umm, 10 UMS for Psychology, and around 14-16 each for Bio, Chem and Maths. Although I got a D in the chem summer exam so the retake should bring it up, the bio coursework got marked down by Edexcel because of my teachers mismarking and I got a C in the Unit 2 maths exam so a retake should be good :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending