The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colabottles
I'm still not sure what Nottingham's admission policy is... but if it's any help I think they like high UKCAT/A*s possibly. So I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea or not for you...

thanks, i guess its not a good idea to apply to nottingham then :frown: would you say St Andrews is relatively easy to get into? thanks
Reply 1781
Original post by sortedguy
hi, what does UAE stand for? thanks

UAE = United Arab Emirates
UEA = University of East Anglia. :tongue:
Reply 1782
Nottingham score your GCCEs and although you did well at GCSE you're lack of A*s won't score highly. (I applied with A*AAAAAAAB and scored low).
Original post by MJHERBZ
Nottingham score your GCCEs and although you did well at GCSE you're lack of A*s won't score highly. (I applied with A*AAAAAAAB and scored low).

did you get an interview? what was your ukcat score? thanks
Reply 1784
Leicester might be a bit risky. They've changed to a points system, detailed here (hope that link works, never linked before):

http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/docs/application%20scoring%20A100_2012.pdf

Many people will have more A*s at GCSE and so score higher in that area. I would advise that you apply to universities which don't take much notice of GCSEs. Maybe Southampton? Your UKCAT score is certainly high enough to apply there, but your personal statement will have to be very good.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
No, not really. All medical schools are extremely difficult to get into. Aberdeen place less emphasis on grades and UKCAT, but place an awful lot on your PS and interview performance so perhaps it is somewhere you should look at.

thanks for that :smile: however, dont scottish students get priority over english therefore its very hard to get an offer? thanks
thanks for that :smile: however, dont scottish students get priority over english therefore its very hard to get an offer? thanks

That is a complete load of gash.

Sorry but it is utter nonsense. Every applicant is considered on merit, regardless of which part of the UK they are from.
Original post by Anna2392
Leicester might be a bit risky. They've changed to a points system, detailed here (hope that link works, never linked before):

http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/docs/application%20scoring%20A100_2012.pdf

Many people will have more A*s at GCSE and so score higher in that area. I would advise that you apply to universities which don't take much notice of GCSEs. Maybe Southampton? Your UKCAT score is certainly high enough to apply there, but your personal statement will have to be very good.

hi, thanks for that. i was looking at Southampton but i was unsure when i saw the figures for 2010/2011 entry : 2727 applicants, 419 interviews and 209 offers compared with Nottingham : 2138 applicant, 840 interviews and 506 offers
That is a complete load of gash.

Sorry but it is utter nonsense. Every applicant is considered on merit, regardless of which part of the UK they are from.

ahh, okay thanks for that. i think ill probably replace aberdeen with leicester. just unsure about the 4th choice now :frown:
Original post by Joseppea
Depends... how much do you like the BMAT medical schools compared to the UKCAT ones? :smile:

well, i love love love King's, yet i also love Oxford :s-smilie:

i also have done 6 weeks of medical research which i want to use to appeal to the more sciency research heavy med schools, ie; bmat unis.
Is it wise to apply to any of the following: (I want to play to my strengths)
Cardiff/Leeds/Nottingham/KCL/Manchester/Newcastle/Leicester

GCSEs: 7A*s 4As
A2 levels achieved: A*AA (maths, chem and bio)
UKCAT: 700 average

I'm applying on a gap year, I don't care where I go but I'm desperate for a place I don't want two gap years. I've never applied before for medicine though.
Original post by laurie:)
well, i love love love King's, yet i also love Oxford :s-smilie:

i also have done 6 weeks of medical research which i want to use to appeal to the more sciency research heavy med schools, ie; bmat unis.

Well you've got a really good UKCAT, so maybe do 3 UKCAT and 1 BMAT? :confused: If you really love Oxford, then apply there and work reallly hard at getting a good BMAT :smile:
thanks for the info, so should i avoid leicester? as i calculated my points for the first stage of my application and i would get 48/60( top 6 gcses + total ukcat).
how about nottingham? is it a competitive university to apply to?
thanks

Hello there! Leicester only use the academic score (yours being 48/60) to filter 10% of their applicants for interviews, so it may be worth applying? I know this as i am also applying this year and was unsure whether i would get through the first stage :smile:

PS i'd say nottingham is more competitive than leicester.. i think?
Reply 1793
did you get an interview? what was your ukcat score? thanks

Nope. & my UKCAT sucked last year, 620 avg.
Original post by xgoldenx
Hello there! Leicester only use the academic score (yours being 48/60) to filter 10% of their applicants for interviews, so it may be worth applying? I know this as i am also applying this year and was unsure whether i would get through the first stage :smile:

PS i'd say nottingham is more competitive than leicester.. i think?

haha, so what is your academic score then? :tongue: did leicester university tell you that it was only 10%? so the other 90% is by reference and ps then?

yee, it is. more competitive as Nottingham has quite a good night life!
I'm a gap year applicant for 2012 UCAS cycle for medicine and Aberdeen have just told me they are unable to consider my application because I've had to resit an A2 module. Although all my exams were taken in the 2 year time period and I came out with AAA, I have had to resit BIO4 module in June 2011 because when I took it in January, I failed it!
Does anyone else know if other medical schools would also not consider me for this same reason or if other people are in similar situations please quote me.
Thanks
Original post by MJHERBZ
Nope. & my UKCAT sucked last year, 620 avg.

ahh i see, have you taken UKCAT again this year?

would you say Glasgow is more of a PS or a GCCES + UKCAT uni? thanks
No, not really. All medical schools are extremely difficult to get into. Aberdeen place less emphasis on grades and UKCAT, but place an awful lot on your PS and interview performance so perhaps it is somewhere you should look at.

That's not entirely true I know someone who had AAABB with extenuating circumstances then got BB at Ah an A at h in 6th year and was told she couldn't re- apply. True they don't bother too much about the ukcat though.
Original post by Anterior view
That's not entirely true I know someone who had AAABB with extenuating circumstances then got BB at Ah an A at h in 6th year and was told she couldn't re- apply. True they don't bother too much about the ukcat though.

The word I used were 'less emphasis on grades', relative to to say Edinburgh. There are people in my year with AAABB and AABBB but they did have to meet very high Advanced Higher Conditions.

Regarding the original question, Aberdeen is a sensible choice :smile:
Reply 1799
Ok, so I have my full A-Level results: AAA in Biology, English Literature and Maths, and a B in Chemistry. I was thinking of applying for those universities that do not require Chemistry (SGUL, KCL, Cardiff, UEA) rather than resitting. Do you honestly think I stand a chance? If it's of any use to you, the Chemistry is about 2 marks below an A because of the world's biggest cock-up in Unit 5. Thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending