The Student Room Group

Do Scottish universities actually discriminate against English applicants?

I'm asking because I'm applying to 3 Scottish universities.

I was discussing it with my teacher yesterday and she stated she wasn't convinced that Scottish universities gave the English an equal chance in the application process. In that, they'll give preference to those from Scotland even if applicant A from England may have better grades/etc to applicant B from Scotland.

Is this true? Should I be wary in applying to 3 Scottish universities and being from England?

Scroll to see replies

35mm_
I'm asking because I'm applying to 3 Scottish universities.

I was discussing it with my teacher yesterday and she stated she wasn't convinced that Scottish universities gave the English an equal chance in the application process. In that, they'll give preference to those from Scotland even if applicant A from England may have better grades/etc to applicant B from Scotland.

Is this true? Should I be wary in applying to 3 Scottish universities and being from England?

It'd probably help you if you had a Scottish surname. :wink2:
Reply 2
Although I can't speak for certain, I see no reason why they would discriminate against a non-Scottish student.
nah shes lying, i moved into uni and three other guys are from newcastle
Reply 4
Edinburgh do give preference to those living nearby, but beyond that I can't say :dontknow:
I've heard that Scottish unis do discriminate, but as someone who's applying to Edinburgh I hope it's not true!
Reply 5
No, of course not.

Some (perhaps, all) universities give preference to students resident in a surrounding 'local area', the presumption being that they won't need quite so many halls places, and probably so they can appear to be somehow 'serving' a community.

Being Scottish or English is entirely irrelevant - indeed, there's no way a university could know this information about you; they'd only be able to find out where you happened to live.

Virtually all good Scottish universities have a pretty large proportion of students who are English; most notably Edinburgh and St Andrews.
Ah, yes, that's what I meant. Those who live in Scotland, not nationality. Sorry!
Reply 7
Say you're from Liverpool and you apply to Manchester, you could be rejected because the tutor has a seething hatred of Scousers. What I'm saying is that you have no way of knowing, the people who make the decisions could discriminate against you for any number of reasons without you ever finding out, either deliberately or not even realising it.
Reply 8
xmarilynx
Edinburgh do give preference to those living nearby, but beyond that I can't say :dontknow:
I've heard that Scottish unis do discriminate, but as someone who's applying to Edinburgh I hope it's not true!

they claimed this as one of the reasons for rejecting me. they said that many people wish to live at home and so they do give preference to those who live nearby as it might be their only chance to go to uni (stupid excuse) i can't imagine it being so bad that if you should get it you won't, it'll only effect borderline people
Reply 9
miranda13
they claimed this as one of the reasons for rejecting me. they said that many people wish to live at home and so they do give preference to those who live nearby as it might be their only chance to go to uni (stupid excuse) i can't imagine it being so bad that if you should get it you won't, it'll only effect borderline people

That is stupid! What were you applying for? I'm sure it was their loss anyway :smile:
I've heard Edinburgh make up excuses sometimes, like this girl was saying that Edinburgh told her they rejected her based on her GCSEs, which were nearly all A*s :rolleyes:
I really doubt I'll get into Edinburgh in that case. Any tales about Glasgow?
I can only speak for Edinburgh really, but I don't think Scottish unis discriminate against English applicants at all. Three of my friends got offers from St Andrews, one of them got offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews, and I got an offer from Edinburgh. I don't know about Glasgow but I think you should be fine. The hard thing with Edinburgh is the entrance requirements, because they say their offers are BBB but my friends who got offers were looking at getting AAA in A2.

Myths like these are really stupid. Another friend really wanted to apply to a Scottish uni but her dad told her not to because of 'discrimination' against English applicants. Don't let silly rumours stop you from applying to somewhere where you'll be happy.
I've sent my application off already so it's not like I could even change my choices anyway. I just have my heart set on Edinburgh and it's not looking likely :frown:
Liquidglass
Yes, Scottish universities offer free tuition to all citizens from EU member states, EXCEPT the rest of the UK. Ok, so that includes Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England, but the reality is we all know this is aimed at the English, because the Welsh and Northern Irish get reduced fees anyway, it is the English it most effects.

That's really odd. And unfair, really.
timelordess
I can only speak for Edinburgh really, but I don't think Scottish unis discriminate against English applicants at all. Three of my friends got offers from St Andrews, one of them got offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews, and I got an offer from Edinburgh. I don't know about Glasgow but I think you should be fine. The hard thing with Edinburgh is the entrance requirements, because they say their offers are BBB but my friends who got offers were looking at getting AAA in A2.

Myths like these are really stupid. Another friend really wanted to apply to a Scottish uni but her dad told her not to because of 'discrimination' against English applicants. Don't let silly rumours stop you from applying to somewhere where you'll be happy.

i was told this is because they have quite an open system in the first year where you can change courses easily they have to have the same enterence requirments for every subject even though some should be higher. that just sounds stupid to me, if that was the case it would make sense to have them all higer. anyway wish they told me that before i applied not after
Reply 15
of course they dont you pillock.
im scottish and know for a fact, that most of the time we dont care where your from, unless theres sports going on.
Reply 16
yes they do, but why shouldn't they? scottish students don't get to resit their exams untill they all have straight As :rolleyes:
edinburgh in particular prefer scottish students. i dont know anybody who got rejected from my school (people with 4Bs etc), however one of my friends at cambridge knows people there who did get rejected.
markg611
of course they dont you pillock.
im scottish and know for a fact, that most of the time we dont care where your from, unless theres sports going on.

I didn't say you, I'm talking about the admissions people.

"Pillock".
Reply 18
35mm_
That's really odd. And unfair, really.

its not, because its a load of crap.
international students get grants or bursaries, and its not all of them, just a select few.
scottish students get in free because our government gives us it free, because we should be entitled to it. its not our fault its unfair, its westminster.
markg611
its not, because its a load of crap.
international students get grants or bursaries, and its not all of them, just a select few.
scottish students get in free because our government gives us it free, because we should be entitled to it. its not our fault its unfair, its westminster.

If the Scottish Government can do it, then I really don't see why Westminster can't for us either. And yes, I agree, it's not your fault (and I agree with the principle).

Jealousy on my behalf, I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending