The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
35mm_
I didn't say you, I'm talking about the admissions people.

"Pillock".
okey lets say for a minute that all scottish people, including those on admisions comittees and whatever care. half of them arents even from scotland. i just started at glasgow and my advisor of studies is from like india.
its still a load of crap, and i knew what you meant.
Reply 21
35mm_
If the Scottish Government can do it, then I really don't see why Westminster can't for us either. And yes, I agree, it's not your fault (and I agree with the principle).

Jealousy on my behalf, I guess.

Okay, sorry i snapped.
Just annoys me when people make it out to be our governments fault, when in fact, theyr doing the right thing, and westminster are the ones who are stuck in the past.
markg611
Okay, sorry i snapped.
Just annoys me when people make it out to be our governments fault, when in fact, theyr doing the right thing, and westminster are the ones who are stuck in the past.

Why can't the Scottish government let everybody go to their universities for free in the UK?

I might be being naive, somebody explain?
Liquidglass
Yes, Scottish universities offer free tuition to all citizens from EU member states, EXCEPT the rest of the UK. Ok, so that includes Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England, but the reality is we all know this is aimed at the English, because the Welsh and Northern Irish get reduced fees anyway, it is the English it most effects.

No, please learn about the system before ranting about it. If a Scottish student wants to go to university in France for example then there will be no fees paid, but if they want to go somewhere else in the UK then they will pay fees. It's a reciprocal agreement between Scotland and other EU countries, and the rest of the UK hasn't joined it. Scottish universities already have lower (roughly half) tuition fees than elsewhere in the UK and they won't pay for the fourth year's fees because that is covered by the Scottish government.
Reply 24
35mm_
Why can't the Scottish government let everybody go to their universities for free in the UK?

I might be being naive, somebody explain?

Right
This is riciulous.
EVERYBODY LISTEN UP.
It isnt the scottish universities.
Its a government organisation called SAAS. They pay the university the fees that other students would have to pay. It isnt the universities. They still get the cash.
Its a government thing. Everybody scottish and everyone who has lived in scotland for the past 5 years or something, gets tuition fees payed for them. But they are still payed. it isnt the uni's, and it isnt the scottish. its a problem with england, and westminster, and maybe other british countries as well, that you dont get tuition fees payed. Id like to also note that its only your first course that gets payed. post grad students pay fees like everyone else.
Liquidglass
http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/eu_students/2001_or_later/financial_support.htm

Says quite clearly the Scottish government will pay for the tuition fees of any non-UK EU citizen. Whole thing reeks of a "evil Sassenach" mentality to me.

Please learn about the system before simply going off on one. A Scottish student will need to pay fees to go to an English university, whereas if they go to a French university they will not.

Also, the government pay for this out of their budget given to them by Westminster. So other public services have to be squeezed in order to fund this.
Reply 26
markg611
its not, because its a load of crap.
international students get grants or bursaries, and its not all of them, just a select few.
scottish students get in free because our government gives us it free, because we should be entitled to it. its not our fault its unfair, its westminster.

No it is true, if you are from any EU country other than the rest of the Uk there are no course fees. Westminster don't decide that

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Education/UniversitiesColleges/16640/financial-help

(bottom right box) I think it's crap and unfair
Reply 27
TheOneWho
No, please learn about the system before ranting about it. If a Scottish student wants to go to university in France for example then there will be no fees paid, but if they want to go somewhere else in the UK then they will pay fees. It's a reciprocal agreement between Scotland and other EU countries, and the rest of the UK hasn't joined it. Scottish universities already have lower (roughly half) tuition fees than elsewhere in the UK and they won't pay for the fourth year's fees because that is covered by the Scottish government.

Everyone refer to this post, no one else seems to know what they're talking about.

In response to the OP: I've never felt that universities in Scotland discriminate against English applicants. I live in Edinburgh but attend university elsewhere, and from my experience both places are full of English students. I wouldn't let it get in the way of your application - if your grades are good enough and you want to attend a Scottish uni then apply! Don't be put off by unfounded rumours.
I don't think that's true at all.

I got offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews (Chose to accept St Andrews)

Plenty of my friends got offers from both, and there are quite a large percentage of english/ european/ north american students at both uni's. :smile:
Higgy90
yes they do, but why shouldn't they? scottish students don't get to resit their exams untill they all have straight As :rolleyes:
edinburgh in particular prefer scottish students. i dont know anybody who got rejected from my school (people with 4Bs etc), however one of my friends at cambridge knows people there who did get rejected.

That's not our fault. In a similiar way to your exemption from fees isn't controlled by Scottish students.
Not just English students, welsh and Northern Irish applicants as well. They often prefer International students to those in other parts of the UK.
Reply 31
Who knows, but my biology teacher tried to convince me that they would discriminate, and that I may be risking it by applying to 2 Scottish universities (Dundee and Glasgow). I got offers from both, so.. maybe not.
Reply 32
Liquidglass
Yes, Scottish universities offer free tuition to all citizens from EU member states, EXCEPT the rest of the UK. Ok, so that includes Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England, but the reality is we all know this is aimed at the English, because the Welsh and Northern Irish get reduced fees anyway, it is the English it most effects.

Fail. That has nothing to do with the university - they charge students resident in Scotland tuition fees too. The fees, however, are paid for by a government agency on the students' behalf. It has nothing to do with the universities.

Free tuition is given to non-UK (minus Scotland) EU citizens because, by law, it has to be and, moreover, students resident in Scotland get free tuition in other EU member-states.

Henry JW
Say you're from Liverpool and you apply to Manchester, you could be rejected because the tutor has a seething hatred of Scousers.

Doesn't everyone?
Reply 33
Edinburgh didn't ******* let me in
Reply 34
markg611
Its a government thing. Everybody scottish and everyone who has lived in scotland for the past 5 years or something, gets tuition fees payed for them.

There's no legal status of being 'Scottish', it is only done on the basis of ordinary residence.

But they are still payed. it isnt the uni's, and it isnt the scottish. its a problem with england, and westminster, and maybe other british countries as well, that you dont get tuition fees payed.

It's not a problem, it's just a sensible approach that students should have to contribute some of the massive expense of their tuition.

Plus, of course, it is only possible in Scotland because the Scottish Parliament gets overfunded.

Weesy_Peesy
Not just English students, welsh and Northern Irish applicants as well. They often prefer International students to those in other parts of the UK.

They prefer international students to Scottish students too, you know. For the bloody obvious reason that they can get more money out of them.
TheOneWho

This girl knows her stuff :smile:
Unlike some other people on this board.
I go to Glasgow Uni and I've met a fair few English people, tho as my course is Scots Law there's an understandably lower number doing that.
Reply 36
Pandabär
I don't think that's true at all.

I got offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews (Chose to accept St Andrews)

Plenty of my friends got offers from both, and there are quite a large percentage of english/ european/ north american students at both uni's. :smile:

You say that you got an offer from St Andrews. Please may you tell me what your GCSEs were like and what the course that you are doing is. Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending