The Student Room Group

Reality hit...

I had 5 conditional offers by June 09 for computing, but cancelled my UCAS app and accepted a job working for 1 year as a teaching assistant in a school.

I decided that on the year out, I'd work out exactly what it is I want from life. I realised I want to work with kids who need help, whether it be disabled or special needs pupils (I myself have a disability), and just to do a job that makes a difference.

I looked into Psychology and it seemed perfect. I spent a few months doing my Psychology UCAS app and sent it off on the 8th September. I realised I could do either educational psychology (with 3 year degree, 3 year masters and a lot of work experience) or even become a teacher with the degree.

The last week, it's dawned on me that i may have made a HUGE mistake. I've never studied Psychology (Double ICT and Media at A Level) and that as I have very little knowledge of it, I'm unlikely to get as good of a degree as I would if I did computing at University.

I know I want a career working with disadvantaged children (and possibly adults), but I'm not sure exactly what. I always said no to becoming a teacher, but working in the school as a TA since June has made me consider becoming an ICT teacher....

I'm so confused. My UCAS application is already sent off, I'm on a gap year working in a school and thinking have I made a huge mistake....

Please give me some advice/help/support, as I'm really worrying about this now!
Reply 1
Sounds to me like you made the right decision. I have no experience of psychology, but your passion is definitely there - you have an ideal career planned out and you should not give up on it now.
Reply 2
nexttime
Sounds to me like you made the right decision. I have no experience of psychology, but your passion is definitely there - you have an ideal career planned out and you should not give up on it now.

Thanks.

What I'm regretting doing really is applying for a computing degree, then a PGCE and becoming a ICT teacher.

I've got a lot better chance passing a computing degree then a Psychology degree and it would still allow me to go down the route I want to, however it limits any other sort of career, as working as an ICT technician doesn't appeal much to me.
Reply 3
EastEffect
Thanks.

What I'm regretting doing really is applying for a computing degree, then a PGCE and becoming a ICT teacher.

I've got a lot better chance passing a computing degree then a Psychology degree and it would still allow me to go down the route I want to, however it limits any other sort of career, as working as an ICT technician doesn't appeal much to me.

Might be a good idea to research what the courses will involve - get a textbook or something?

It sounds like psychology will open up far more opportunities for you though.
You have a year left till uni, plenty of time to do the A-level. I know a person who revised two weeks solid for all the exam modules in Psycology because he failed them quite miserably. Yet he got high A's in the modules in the end. If you have a good memory then you'll be good at Psycology A-level.
Reply 5
Lots of people do psychology at degree level without doing it at a level as some schools still don't offer it. Looking at my course for the first year (i just got my syllabus) a lot of the stuff is new to me, and some may be building on what I learnt at a level but it's nothing you couldn't understand without a bit of background reading.

I'm really passionate about the subject, and even if you decide to change your career, then it will open up lost of options for you.

Your only issue is, I'm supprised the unis didn't ask for at least one science/maths subject, as when I was applying nearly everywhere did.
You do NOT have to have studied psychology before to study it at degree level.

I study BSc psychology and I can 100% assure you that you need NO prior knowledge.
In first year you draw a little on concepts covered at As and A-level, but not to a significant enough level for it to effect your learning or understanding of the rest of your work. You will not be at a disadvantage to anyone else.

Do not take advice about trying to cram the A-level or even the As level into a year, you do not need it and it will be a waste of your time. Courses will be fairly similar everywhere due to them having to be accreddited by the BPS, but make sure wherever you choose to study that the course is an accreddited course. Also look at last year option modules, some places (Bangor for example I think) offer option modules in Psychology and disability.
Reply 7
lorietta
Lots of people do psychology at degree level without doing it at a level as some schools still don't offer it. Looking at my course for the first year (i just got my syllabus) a lot of the stuff is new to me, and some may be building on what I learnt at a level but it's nothing you couldn't understand without a bit of background reading.

I'm really passionate about the subject, and even if you decide to change your career, then it will open up lost of options for you.

Your only issue is, I'm supprised the unis didn't ask for at least one science/maths subject, as when I was applying nearly everywhere did.

I have no offers yet, so I may get declined by all the Universities. I've applied for Winchester, Worcester, Bournemouth and Hertfordshire (None require a science subject) and Portsmouth (Requires a science subject).

I might not even have a chance to do Psychology if I get declined. I just worry a lot. Can you still become an ICT teacher with a Psychology Degree and PGCE?
EastEffect
I have no offers yet, so I may get declined by all the Universities. I've applied for Winchester, Worcester, Bournemouth and Hertfordshire (None require a science subject) and Portsmouth (Requires a science subject).

I might not even have a chance to do Psychology if I get declined. I just worry a lot. Can you still become an ICT teacher with a Psychology Degree and PGCE?

Yes you can. ICT teachers are in short supply and you will be able to do a booster course when you graduate if you choose to make that transition.

You will be fine and im sure you will get offers. Generally only top top unis ask for a maths and/or science subject for their psychology courses. Most others just ask for a C or above in maths and science GCSE.
Reply 9
What a lot of people find with their chosen degree is that, even if they took the same (or simillar subject) at A-Level, what they learned in 2 years on A-Level will be covered within the first few weeks of the university course, or won't even be relevant. Law has this problem too. Some universities see it as a disadvantage if the student has studied Law at A-Level before wanting to do it as a degree.

Seriously, you made a great choice, and you will be no worse off than anyone else on that course. There will be people in the same situation as you, or mature students with even less experience. There is nothing lectures 'expect' you to already know. They're prefer you to approah with fresh perceptions if anything, not half-baked ideas fed by A-Level teachers...
Reply 10
Don't worry EastEffect. Go with what you've already done for now, research both Psychology and Computer Science degrees some more, and if you conclude you shouldn't have applied for Psychology you can always decline any offers you get and apply for something else when Extra opens in February. You're not committed to anything yet.
Reply 11
aren't there courses out there that offer psychology and computing?
Reply 12
timetokill
You do NOT have to have studied psychology before to study it at degree level.

I study BSc psychology and I can 100% assure you that you need NO prior knowledge.
In first year you draw a little on concepts covered at As and A-level, but not to a significant enough level for it to effect your learning or understanding of the rest of your work. You will not be at a disadvantage to anyone else.

Do not take advice about trying to cram the A-level or even the As level into a year, you do not need it and it will be a waste of your time. Courses will be fairly similar everywhere due to them having to be accreddited by the BPS, but make sure wherever you choose to study that the course is an accreddited course. Also look at last year option modules, some places (Bangor for example I think) offer option modules in Psychology and disability.

This^

I know plenty of people who have not studied psychology at A-level. The courses will take this into account and give you the grounding you need before going deeper into the subject.
Reply 13
If you want to work directly with children with disabilities or difficult situations ever thought about Social Work? child and family / CAMHT type things may suit you? Teaching isn't exactly a helping people job, not in practice anyway. You teach people for their education, but that doesn't mean you neccesarily help them to the degree you could do as an educational psychologist / SW.
And you can do Psychology without doing it before, few people on my course (applied social sciences) havn't studied it, and I havn't studied Sociology but thats my first module, Its more to make sure you like it. Just bear in mind Psychology is very much an essay based subject, you need to remember alot of names and statistics and the theories to go with them
You seem to have the determination to do it though, and thats what really counts.
Reply 14
psychology and computing is a course at loads of unis. just looked it up and wrote them down, but realised there's so many places offering it.

i think education and computing may be offered as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending