The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, just read through the thread, yall sound pretty cool.
Im stressed out, Leeds is my firm and sheffield my insurance but I think i really wanna go to sheffield now. Ive missed my offer for leeds by one distinction (mature student access course) but they may still take me. If they do, ill be going to leeds because I live in leeds and financially its easier for me.
However if they dont take me i have to go to sheffield, its not a bad thing at all but I dont know whether to move or commute ugh! thing is im pretty low on cash even with student finance.
What do guys think about commuting?
anyone wanna let me sofa surf? lol only joking :smile:
maybe I could commute just for the first year?
Everyone is raving about sheffield and it makes me really wanna join yall there.
At leeds my offer is for Japanese and International Relations but sheffield is just japanese, I dont mind just doing the language though.
Its all gonna be a last minute crazy hellish deal and that worries the heck out of me :frown:

I havent even visited sheffield uni!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 181
KillingBeautifully

What do guys think about commuting?
anyone wanna let me sofa surf? lol only joking :smile:
maybe I could commute just for the first year?
Everyone is raving about sheffield and it makes me really wanna join yall there.
At leeds my offer is for Japanese and International Relations but sheffield is just japanese, I dont mind just doing the language though.
Its all gonna be a last minute crazy hellish deal and that worries the heck out of me :frown:

I havent even visited sheffield uni!

Hey,
Commuting from Leeds would be almost as expensive as just living in Sheffield wouldn't it? I live in Leeds and it costs about £10 return to Sheffield, if you had to do that a few times a week... wouldn't be cheap.
But before thinking about stuff like that, I'd really reccomend (hmm sure I spelt that wrong) just having a look at the uni in Sheffield. True, it won't have all the departments open at the moment to look in but at least it gives you an idea of what it's like just to be around the buildings and uni area. Before I went to Sheffield it was just a maybe for me, but the open day did really change my mind completely. I went to the Chemistry department which was alright, but what I loved was the friendly atmosphere, good student resources/ services, city (so many parks!) and generally just felt that I'd be happy living there for the next few years of my life.

If you're serious about Sheffield you can probably speak to the Japanese staff too, the East Asian department was great at helping when I wanted to change to their course so try and contact them for advise.

Sorry this message is getting a bit long now, but when will you know if you've got into Leeds or not? If it's going to be late August then it's worth trying to speak to both places now just so you know either way that you'd be able to afford it/ like it enough whichever way the decision went.

Finally, sorry I can't offer a house, I know you're joking but still if you come to Sheffield (it's awesome! *cough* I mean, I'll try to stay impartial) then personally I'd consider it worth at least looking around for any cheap housing deals. And if you're really stuck ever, say you did come to Sheffield and missed the last train home one evening, I'm sure the other guy and the girls in my house wouldn't mind anyone staying a night. As long as they can put up with five second year scientists who already make lighthearted jokes about me being both a fresher and on an arts course.

Hope you whichever course you get onto,
Toby.
Reply 182
hachiko
I'll be doing Japanese studies this fall ^^ I just can't wait! I'm flying on 18th September to London and from there by train to Sheffield - I'll be in Crescent Flats and wow, can I get more excited :biggrin: Just can't wait for the lectures to start! I think I'm hyperventilating, so I'll stop now x)

Hey,
So you're definitely on the course? Do you have your results already or did they give you an unconditional offer? Either way, hope to see you on the course!
I knew some people in Crescent Flats in Endcliffe and their was a really good communal feel in their flat, I think the same group who were living together there stayed together for second year as well.
The lectures are going to be awesome! And apparently there are calligraphy classes every so often too, don't know if they're compulsory or optional though. Sounds cool.
Toby
Reply 183
If you guys haven't already, join the Japanese Studies group on facebook! :yep:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=246152960275&ref=search
Tobbit
Hey,
Commuting from Leeds would be almost as expensive as just living in Sheffield wouldn't it? I live in Leeds and it costs about £10 return to Sheffield, if you had to do that a few times a week... wouldn't be cheap.
But before thinking about stuff like that, I'd really reccomend (hmm sure I spelt that wrong) just having a look at the uni in Sheffield. True, it won't have all the departments open at the moment to look in but at least it gives you an idea of what it's like just to be around the buildings and uni area. Before I went to Sheffield it was just a maybe for me, but the open day did really change my mind completely. I went to the Chemistry department which was alright, but what I loved was the friendly atmosphere, good student resources/ services, city (so many parks!) and generally just felt that I'd be happy living there for the next few years of my life.

If you're serious about Sheffield you can probably speak to the Japanese staff too, the East Asian department was great at helping when I wanted to change to their course so try and contact them for advise.

Sorry this message is getting a bit long now, but when will you know if you've got into Leeds or not? If it's going to be late August then it's worth trying to speak to both places now just so you know either way that you'd be able to afford it/ like it enough whichever way the decision went.

Finally, sorry I can't offer a house, I know you're joking but still if you come to Sheffield (it's awesome! *cough* I mean, I'll try to stay impartial) then personally I'd consider it worth at least looking around for any cheap housing deals. And if you're really stuck ever, say you did come to Sheffield and missed the last train home one evening, I'm sure the other guy and the girls in my house wouldn't mind anyone staying a night. As long as they can put up with five second year scientists who already make lighthearted jokes about me being both a fresher and on an arts course.

Hope you whichever course you get onto,
Toby.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I looked at train passes, but sheffield is south yorkshire so that didnt really help. I think I will end up moving but I know its gonna be difficult finding a place!
Id apply for uni accom, though I think im too late there too, but I wont be able to pay the first upfront rent payment :confused:

It will be late august when I find out if I have been accepted to leeds yes. Im not even sure of the proceedure when it comes to taking up your insurance offer, though im sure ill be able to find out.
Im just really scared about finding somewhere to live ect, and ill have to find a job in sheffield aswell.
Thanks so much for your reply though, its reassuring that people are willing to offer advise :p:
Im gonna take a campus tour one wednesday and also and have a look around sheffield itself.
If leeds accept me, whether id prefer sheffield or not its just the easier option financially and for accom... we shall see.

Thanks again for replying
take care
:smile:
Reply 185
KillingBeautifully
Hey, thanks for the reply! I looked at train passes, but sheffield is south yorkshire so that didnt really help. I think I will end up moving but I know its gonna be difficult finding a place!
Id apply for uni accom, though I think im too late there too, but I wont be able to pay the first upfront rent payment :confused:

It will be late august when I find out if I have been accepted to leeds yes. Im not even sure of the proceedure when it comes to taking up your insurance offer, though im sure ill be able to find out.
Im just really scared about finding somewhere to live ect, and ill have to find a job in sheffield aswell.
Thanks so much for your reply though, its reassuring that people are willing to offer advise :p:
Im gonna take a campus tour one wednesday and also and have a look around sheffield itself.
If leeds accept me, whether id prefer sheffield or not its just the easier option financially and for accom... we shall see.

Thanks again for replying
take care
:smile:

No problem, I was in a similar situation in December. I didn't know whether to continue with my Chemistry course or start again. Finance was an issue, I'll be doing four more years now after already spending half last year at Sheffield too. It would have made more sense to continue with my course, because it would have saved money and I still would have gone to Japan, but in the end I just took my friend's advise to do what felt right. Chemistry didn't. I guess I was lucky because after that I managed to get straight into a job in January, and since then I've worked for my friend's dad as a sushi chef (sounds much cooler than the reality). I managed to make up for the money I used first year, so I'm now back to step one.

It's good that you've got open days, it might even end up easier if you see Sheffield and realise you don't actually like it.

This might be a bad idea, and I wouldn't want to choose it myself, but have you thought about not going for either this year and trying to get a job and save up for 2011? This only really applies if you find out you love Sheffield, but it would mean you get to do what you want and have a little bit less financial pressure. Also you said the situation with accomodation was kind of messed up so you could sort out that. As I said, it wouldn't be a fun option, but....

All that I say is kind of biased to the Sheffield side, but someone from my school applied to two other universities and didn't get into either. Through clearing she found a course place free at Sheffield for Engineering of some sort. It was late August but they still managed to get a standard accomodation room for her at one of the student villages. Yeah, it's expensive, but some uni's are prepared for late arrivals.

Hope I'm not overloading you with useless comments, :s-smilie:
Toby
Tobbit
No problem, I was in a similar situation in December. I didn't know whether to continue with my Chemistry course or start again. Finance was an issue, I'll be doing four more years now after already spending half last year at Sheffield too. It would have made more sense to continue with my course, because it would have saved money and I still would have gone to Japan, but in the end I just took my friend's advise to do what felt right. Chemistry didn't. I guess I was lucky because after that I managed to get straight into a job in January, and since then I've worked for my friend's dad as a sushi chef (sounds much cooler than the reality). I managed to make up for the money I used first year, so I'm now back to step one.

It's good that you've got open days, it might even end up easier if you see Sheffield and realise you don't actually like it.

This might be a bad idea, and I wouldn't want to choose it myself, but have you thought about not going for either this year and trying to get a job and save up for 2011? This only really applies if you find out you love Sheffield, but it would mean you get to do what you want and have a little bit less financial pressure. Also you said the situation with accomodation was kind of messed up so you could sort out that. As I said, it wouldn't be a fun option, but....

All that I say is kind of biased to the Sheffield side, but someone from my school applied to two other universities and didn't get into either. Through clearing she found a course place free at Sheffield for Engineering of some sort. It was late August but they still managed to get a standard accomodation room for her at one of the student villages. Yeah, it's expensive, but some uni's are prepared for late arrivals.

Hope I'm not overloading you with useless comments, :s-smilie:
Toby

Of course you're not overloading me! any advice is something to consider at this stage :smile:
Id rather not apply next year, kinda feel like im waiting for my life to start and Im really looking forward to studying (I know how geeky I sound hehe). I think decision time will be august 19-20... Im actually going on holiday to florida on the 21st so Ill be trying to sort things in two days in order to know what ill be doing uni-wise when i get back to the uk :P
If I choose sheffield im not gonna worry too much about accom, Ill commute until I can find a room in a shared house to rent thats within my price range.
Im a mature student (only 21 though) but I feel like ive wasted loads of time as it is, im one of those annoying planner people, you know the ones that actually enjoy knowing where they'll be in five years haha!
Im totally crazy when it comes to planning!
If I dont come to sheffield for whatever reason it will be a shame considered how cool some of the people ive spoken too have been.
Also I REALLY wanna have a pop at Korean, really into the language and culture and Leeds Uni dont offer it!!!
DAMN THEM TO HADES! :p:

Again thanks for taking the time to advise me
Reply 187
Tobbit
Hey,
So you're definitely on the course? Do you have your results already or did they give you an unconditional offer? Either way, hope to see you on the course!
I knew some people in Crescent Flats in Endcliffe and their was a really good communal feel in their flat, I think the same group who were living together there stayed together for second year as well.
The lectures are going to be awesome! And apparently there are calligraphy classes every so often too, don't know if they're compulsory or optional though. Sounds cool.
Toby

I am absolutely definitely on the course - my offer was conditional at first, but my high school diploma was ready in July and as soon as I sent it it became unconditional ^^
Reply 188
KillingBeautifully

Id rather not apply next year, kinda feel like im waiting for my life to start and Im really looking forward to studying (I know how geeky I sound hehe). I think decision time will be august 19-20... Im actually going on holiday to florida on the 21st so Ill be trying to sort things in two days in order to know what ill be doing uni-wise when i get back to the uk :P
If I choose sheffield im not gonna worry too much about accom, Ill commute until I can find a room in a shared house to rent thats within my price range.
Im a mature student (only 21 though) but I feel like ive wasted loads of time as it is, im one of those annoying planner people, you know the ones that actually enjoy knowing where they'll be in five years haha!
Im totally crazy when it comes to planning!
If I dont come to sheffield for whatever reason it will be a shame considered how cool some of the people ive spoken too have been.
Also I REALLY wanna have a pop at Korean, really into the language and culture and Leeds Uni dont offer it!!!
DAMN THEM TO HADES! :p:

Again thanks for taking the time to advise me

I think I know what you mean about the whole "waiting for life to start" feeling. When I left home last year for uni it opened up this whole new world, then having to leave through my own choice after three months was awfull. It's probably the same with a lot of people that uni is where they start to really think about their future and dealing without family.
That's quite a tight time for sorting things out but...well I guess it's kind of down to fate now. Would it be wrong to say good luck if you half-want to not get the grades to get into Leeds?
At first I was worried that having had a year out I'd be the odd one out, a year older than other people on the course, but now it seems I'm actually part of quite a big group of people who aren't 18 when starting. It's oddly comforting. Needing to plan things out is probably only sensible for a course that will influence the rest of your life, and I'm happy knowing where I and future coursemates will be for the next four years, but I'm too shortsighted to think seriously about after I've left university. It's still a long way off though, which is a good thing.
Korean is something a lot of people want to combine with Japanese...for reasons I don't get...so I'm sure there are options for at least a small module in it at Leeds, or maybe extra curricular programmes. At Sheffield I was tempted by a five week Chinese course, you fitted it around timetable lectures and got some kind of mini diploma. Hopefully all unis have similar schemes if you don't end up in Sheffield.
Well I've got to get to Germany early tomorrow, so should probably finish packing.
Toby
Offer changed from conditional to uncondtional. :smile:
Endless Wanderer
Offer changed from conditional to uncondtional. :smile:

Have you got your results yet? if not it may be an error, it says on UCAS that an error has caused some people's offers to change.
Im_a_cyborg
Have you got your results yet? if not it may be an error, it says on UCAS that an error has caused some people's offers to change.

I was doing a BTEC National Diploma so I had already gotten my results. I simply got in contact with the admissions department and they told me I could send a scan of my results to them. After that I was informed that my offer had been changed to unconditional. I was also told that I should see a update on UCAS track within 24 hours, which I did.
Reply 192
Endless Wanderer
I was doing a BTEC National Diploma so I had already gotten my results. I simply got in contact with the admissions department and they told me I could send a scan of my results to them. After that I was informed that my offer had been changed to unconditional. I was also told that I should see a update on UCAS track within 24 hours, which I did.

Yep! You're 100% in then! Well done! :yep:
Endless Wanderer

awesome well done :smile: I was just saying what i saw on UCAS just in case :rolleyes:
Reply 194
Hi everyone :smile: I've applied for Sheffield Japanese Studies 2010.
Haven't got my results yet though - 10 days time :s-smilie: Hope I'll get in and be able to meet you all in September!
0w3n-69
Yep! You're 100% in then! Well done! :yep:

Im_a_cyborg
awesome well done :smile: I was just saying what i saw on UCAS just in case :rolleyes:

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 196
Hey =) I don't think the question has already been asked (I couldn't find the answer anyway), but I was wondering how many classes a week there are (well actually, not only classes, but everything included -laboratory, seminars, tutorials or whatever we have-) in a typical first year schedule...

I'll be doing Japanese Studies with Spanish, so I suppose it will be slightly different than a straight Japanese Studies degree, but I want to know anyway, since it should be close enough to what I'll get... And also, how many hours should be spent on homework (typically), all things considered?

Thank to whoever can answer me =)
I'm 22 and am beginning my 2nd year at college doing Travel & Tourism BTEC National Diploma.

I really want to get into Sheffield Uni next year to study Japanese,as it's been a major interest for the last 5 or so years. Other uni Jap courses don't seem as concentrated on the Japanese language and culture so I decided that I will put my application in, and if I get rejected (though I have no idea what the odds are - would love to know) then I will persue a career in travel/tourism as I'm already a rather mature student (I'll be 23 and a half when beginning my first year at uni).

So those of you who are already 20+ and worried about the age gap, I have nothing to worry about so I don't think you should have either! I'm already studying amoungst 17 years olds in college and we all get along fine like there's no difference... you'll only stick out if you make it a big deal!!

Latest

Trending

Trending