The Student Room Group

Primary teaching degree?

Do you need work experience? I want to do it, I've had work experience but only when I was younger.
I have helped out at my local nursery about four years ago, and I've also helped out at a primary school about five years ago... so no recent work experience.

If I do need work experience, is there any way of getting out of it? I've heard I could do a course after a degree for a year.
Can someone explain? I'm so confused"
Why do you want to get out of it...? Just ask a local primary school if you can volunteer there for an afternoon a week or something. You can't really expect to do a degree like that without any recent experience of working with kids :dontknow:
yes you normally need work experience, you should try and get some in a local school or nursery. You can do a degree and then do a PGCE which takes a year and is a qualification to allow you to teach and you will need to have work experience to get accepted onto that,
Reply 3
yeah, you need work experience to apply for a primary school teaching degree. Check course details for more information.

Alternative is to do a PGCE after you graduate from a first degree, though you still need experience for that (but you can gain it during the holidays whilst an undergraduate) - a one year course.

Latest

Trending

Trending