The Student Room Group

Teaching degree

I wanted to do a Primary education teaching degree at University. One of the universities I want to go to offers a foundation year, should I take on the foundation year?
I am currently doing a BTEC level 3 Travel and tourism. Unless I change my course to Health and social care in September? Would that prepare me better for the teaching degree??
Original post by Syed998
I wanted to do a Primary education teaching degree at University. One of the universities I want to go to offers a foundation year, should I take on the foundation year?
I am currently doing a BTEC level 3 Travel and tourism. Unless I change my course to Health and social care in September? Would that prepare me better for the teaching degree??

Hi @Syed998

Although I studied an Art and Design Foundation and not Primary Education, I would recommend a Foundation year to anyone, especially if you want to ease yourself into your university degree. It’s not essential to do a foundation year, and it doesn’t mean you won’t do as well in the degree if you choose to study a foundation year.

I found it made me confident in my subject and was a step up from my previous school studies, but not quite to same level of work as my degree. As you’re not currently studying Primary Education you might find the Foundation useful to start looking into your subject and learn about it before starting your degree.

It’s good preparation but remember you don’t have to do a foundation. Some questions you can think about are “will I enjoy the foundation/ is the content what I’m interested in?”, “do I want some more time to ease into my degree or do I feel ready to start straight away?”.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Syed998

Although I studied an Art and Design Foundation and not Primary Education, I would recommend a Foundation year to anyone, especially if you want to ease yourself into your university degree. It’s not essential to do a foundation year, and it doesn’t mean you won’t do as well in the degree if you choose to study a foundation year.

I found it made me confident in my subject and was a step up from my previous school studies, but not quite to same level of work as my degree. As you’re not currently studying Primary Education you might find the Foundation useful to start looking into your subject and learn about it before starting your degree.

It’s good preparation but remember you don’t have to do a foundation. Some questions you can think about are “will I enjoy the foundation/ is the content what I’m interested in?”, “do I want some more time to ease into my degree or do I feel ready to start straight away?”.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thank u so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending