The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
joecolly
Go to https://resnet.lancs.ac.uk/ and login using your resnet account details. Then go to the "Help & Support" page and click the link under the Anti-Virus section - you should be able to find the downloads on that page :smile:

or that would work... :P

have not lived on campus in a while. :frown:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
thank you very much guys
would you know how to get messeger to work?
Mine wont because of the proxy or something? And i need internet explorer apparently to connect onto the internet but it wont...
Reply 22
melodic-verse
thank you very much guys
would you know how to get messeger to work?
Mine wont because of the proxy or something? And i need internet explorer apparently to connect onto the internet but it wont...

You mean MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger right?
Setting the proxy in Internet Explorer should be enough to get MSN working correctly.

Go to Tools > Options > Connections > LAN Settings

Then tick the "Use a proxy server for your LAN.." checkbox, and put wwwcache.lancs.ac.uk as the address and 8080 as the port number.

I've attached a picture to help you out - let us know if it doesn't solve your problem :smile:
well ive never used windows explorer on this laptop
always been on firefox
so when i open up internet explorer it doesnt connect onto the internet
so how do i do that first?
Reply 24
melodic-verse
well ive never used windows explorer on this laptop
always been on firefox
so when i open up internet explorer it doesnt connect onto the internet
so how do i do that first?

Change the proxy settings in Internet Explorer (as I outlined in my post above) and that will get both Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger to work on ResNet :smile:
Reply 25
this is the main issue with the webcache it has to be set for every programe, and alot dont take it from thew IE settings... [its what most will take it from if they do...]
Reply 26
symantec is crap, i deleted mcafee but now I got a trojan which it can't seem to find and some guy keeps taking the piss writing stuff on my keyboard when i dont want him to you are all bellends
Reply 27
Stefan1991
symantec is crap, i deleted mcafee but now I got a trojan which it can't seem to find and some guy keeps taking the piss writing stuff on my keyboard when i dont want him to you are all bellends

hahaha

oh wow
Reply 28
honestly it was like some battle, computer got hijacked and im trying to beat him running anti virus software while he closes windows

+ resnet sux
Reply 29
Well here's a tip then mate. Keep hitting F8 while your computer is starting up (right from the beginning, it has to be caught after the BIOS POST) and boot into Safe Mode with Networking. From there, run the online Kaspersky scanner or something and clean the faeces from your hard drive platters, and you'll be good to go.
Reply 30
from the sounds of it you should just format and reinstall...

symantec may be a system hog, but it is good at what it does...
i would recomend it after AVG evvery time... however.. only the corporate version the uni has..
Never go near norton with a barge pole.. its worse than mcafee

Latest

Trending

Trending