The Student Room Group

what paths to take?

OK gonna put this here because it is relevant to uni.
I want to go to uni but dont know the paths I can take. I failed at AS and dont have the motivation to actually go and retake them.
But I desparately want to get into uni and study law... What routes could I take or would I have to do the Alevels. How much would it cost me (curently unemployed dont have 5 gcse's and 20 :frown:
any help provided would be very very beneficial
Thanks
Vienna
Reply 1
In order to study law at degree level you have to meet a university's entry requirements; most of these include A-level grades and very few would admit a student without the pre-requisite 5 GCSEs grades A-C. You really should sit these academic qualifications not just to get into university but also because it's a requirement for most employers too; especially in a sector as competitive as law.

Having said that, there are a few options and the most obvious would be to apply to BPP for their LLB degree; they're the only university in the country who don't have formal entry requirements and who claim to base their decision solely upon the performance of the candidate at interview. There is also the ILEX course; the completion of which allows you to practise as a legal executive. A lot of people enter the profession in this way and work their way up to the solicitor ranks but it does not involve studying law at degree level.
Reply 2
Reply 3
doG1

I agree with what you said but I also imagine that having to resit exams which you once failed would be quite disheartening. The OP's post portrays quite clearly the fact that she really wants to study law and I suspect that if given the chance she would have enough motivation and drive to go on and do well. Sometimes failing can be the very boost which somebody needs. :yep:
Reply 4
doG1
If you don't have the motivation to take your exams and get qualifications then you can forget ever getting anywhere near a law degree.

You need a reality check, start studying. Honestly meant in the nicest possible way.

I lack the motivation to go back due to comments i received from lecturers there. whilst at college I had 100% focus was having everything done and even got predicted BBBB at least (if i could improve my english... curses dyspraxia and dyslexia) But once getting results and going in to see what path to take about redoing... lecturers said don't bother coming back you aren't worth the time and effort.
So surely you would have had a very big confidence knock if you got told something like that... wouldn't you?

If I could find a path without having to go through the as/a2 levels that gives me the chance to go further with this I would put more than 100% in because Studying law and getting into law would mean everything to me. It has been something that I have wanted to get into for a very very long time.
Mr_Deeds
Are there no other colleges near you? If you went to a different one I'm sure you could have a much more positive experience and really enjoy getting your qualifications.
Reply 6
green_triangle
Are there no other colleges near you? If you went to a different one I'm sure you could have a much more positive experience and really enjoy getting your qualifications.

I'm completely thrown back from it. because of one bad experiance at one college has led me to believe that all are the same. so I have tried applyiing to the open university hoping for that to succeed but that turned to epic fail because I didn't receive my application pack for student financing and to apply for the course until after the application close date.
The easiest way in will probably be through A-levels though, and seriously not all colleges are the same, how about you see when some others near you are having open days, they should be pretty soon I think and you can at least go along and check it out without making any commitments to go there. You could even talk to someone there about your past experiences and get some assurance that won't be like that again and that people there do care about you.
Reply 8
green_triangle
The easiest way in will probably be through A-levels though, and seriously not all colleges are the same, how about you see when some others near you are having open days, they should be pretty soon I think and you can at least go along and check it out without making any commitments to go there. You could even talk to someone there about your past experiences and get some assurance that won't be like that again and that people there do care about you.

very true ... I just dont know what colleges are nearby and I certainly want to go to the one i went to the last time\
Maybe just try googling "colleges in (your area)". I defo recommend open days/nights though, you can actually talk to the tutors who would be teaching you so you can see what they are like. I hope it works out for you!
green_triangle
Maybe just try googling "colleges in (your area)". I defo recommend open days/nights though, you can actually talk to the tutors who would be teaching you so you can see what they are like. I hope it works out for you!

thank you for advice :smile:
will check that out

Latest

Trending

Trending