The Student Room Group

visiting boyfriend and staying in halls?

Hey, was just wondering - i'm going to go and visit my boyfriend at his uni next month (he's at Nottingham University) and i want to stay over night. Will I have to get a visitors permit or something to stay, or are you allowed to stay overnight as a guest in halls? I couldn't find any information on the nottingham website about it, is there like a general etiquette you're supposed to follow or can you just show up and stay?
Why don't you ask him. As he would be knowing about it!:smile: :smile:
He should ask someone at uni, if he has a hall manager or student assistant or something. I stayed at my boyfriend's loads of times last year though and we didn't have to tell anyone, we just checked his flatmates didn't mind.
Get him to go and ask at the reception of his halls.
I know when I go and visit my boyfriend I'm allowed to stay for 3 nights providing I sign myself in at reception.
If he comes to visit me he doesn't need to sign in.
Its different everywhere!
Reply 4
He's in the middle of freshers right now and he's afraid to ask people :biggrin:
otherwise though that sounds okay, he's in a single room so it wouldn't be bothering anybody else, I was more wondering about how some unis have those scan cards to get in, to stop people coming in and stealing stuff...
Reply 5
They say you need visitors passes etc but no one really bothers or cares (unless you make lot of noise).
Aww that's cute. He has to do it at some point though, freshers is a good time because they're used to getting asked millions of questions.

My boyfriend has a fob to scan in to get into the building, a key for the flat and a key for the room. It's been okay though because we're always together so he just lets me in. If you do get locked out, you can ring the bell and someone'll let you in, don't worry.
Reply 7
Oh great, that sounds fine then, i'll just have to bully him into asking at the hall reception or something, he has to get over the freshers-shyness thing... :smile:
Reply 8
My friend has just moved into Hall (but not at nottingham, so I don't know if it will be different), but anyway, she had her boyfriend over the other night without a pass or anything. I also stayed at a mates flat in hall, with my boyfriend and we just went straight to the room with him. Luckily, he lived just above the door, so when we went out, we shouted to him and he dropped the keys down to us lol. People saw us there and no one bothered, so I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
Reply 9
Which halls does he live in? 99% of the time is fine unless you're bringing a car and I know for Raleigh Park you'll need a visitors permit so you can park in car park.
About the scan cards...
At my boyfriends halls, I sign in in the daytime and then we go out at night. Coming in later on he needs to swipe to get in. There is a security guard on the other side of the door and he checks your name against the guest list to make sure you're signed in. If not you're not allowed in.
Reply 11
Iceman, i'm not sure but it's definitely catered halls on the university park campus. And I'm not driving there, getting a coach instead. If worst comes to worst and I'm not allowed to go into his halls then I'll book a youth hostel, but kind of defeats the point...
edithwashere
Iceman, i'm not sure but it's definitely catered halls on the university park campus. And I'm not driving there, getting a coach instead. If worst comes to worst and I'm not allowed to go into his halls then I'll book a youth hostel, but kind of defeats the point...

I know you say your boyfriend is shy and doesn't want to ask... but its not as if he has to ask one of his new friends who he is trying to make a good impression on. Its a lady/man at reception. I really think you should get him to ask, it would only take a few minutes.
Failing that, post in the Nottingham thread as I'm sure someone there will have stayed in his halls and had an experience of bringing guests :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending