The Student Room Group

Bankers of mass destruction

I'm fed up of hearing about bankers have to get big bonuses because the country need their talents here. But if these talented people were actually so talented, why are we bailing them out?

I think if these people did not get a bonus and went somewhere else, next time they screw up which is envitable, whichever country they are in can bail them out and I'll keep my money safe.

Maybe Iran could save themselves a lot of hassle by stopping making nuclear weapons and instead send bankers to whichever country they feel like screwing up.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Banking is a difficult job.
Reply 2
Maker
I'm fed up of hearing about bankers have to get big bonuses because the country need their talents here. But if these talented people were actually so talented, why are we bailing them out?

Cos it's a bit like gambling...it's not 100% foolproof...

Maker

I think if these people did not get a bonus and went somewhere else, next time they screw up which is envitable, whichever country they are in can bail them out and I'll keep my money safe.

The bonus they get are generally based on how much money they make so they could be making like 10X what their bonus is worth...if you see what I mean...

Maker

Maybe Iran could save themselves a lot of hassle by stopping making nuclear weapons and instead send bankers to whichever country they feel like screwing up.

Don't be silly...that would take too long!
Reply 3
Are you sure there isn't a little jealousy mixed in there?

And banks were bailed out, rather than bankers. You have to remember that northern rock and co. didn't have any of the 'bankers' you're referring to. Bailing banks out is largely to prevent economic collateral damage - I doubt you'd have the same opinion if governments had done nothing and the real possibility of 20 or 25% unemployment occurred.
Reply 4
bigmo7
The bonus they get are generally based on how much money they make so they could be making like 10X what their bonus is worth...if you see what I mean...

This is part of the problem though, isn't it? Bankers hung up on bonuses and profit margins losing all touch with reality and lending excessive amounts to people that have little hope of paying them back has led to absolute carnage.
Reply 5
Teofilo
This is part of the problem though, isn't it? Bankers hung up on bonuses and profit margins losing all touch with reality and lending excessive amounts to people that have little hope of paying them back has led to absolute carnage.

Yeah in some ways that has been the case, the bankers have lent out money knowing full well the person will not be able to repay the loan and also that they could probable shift the blame to their line manager...and their line manager until it gets to the top...
Reply 6
Meagz
Banking is a difficult job.

its not.
Reply 7
Teofilo

THIS. dick fuld was a risk-loving, arrogant prick.
Reply 8
danny111
its not.

It is...
Reply 9
bigmo7
It is...

really not. the majority (maybe even vast majority) of jobs carried out at a bank are simple. i cud have started doing them after GCSEs.

yes, some jobs are more difficult, granted, but most arent. and even the difficult ones arent exactly rocket science, are they?
Wait, didn't they get a lot of stick like...for the last year?
Reply 11
UCAS_HELP_NEEDED
Wait, didn't they get a lot of stick like...for the last year?

Yeah they got a really bad telling off! Scary stuff imo...
bigmo7
Yeah they got a really bad telling off! Scary stuff imo...

I just don't get OP's point.

What's he trying to say?
Reply 13
UCAS_HELP_NEEDED

What's he trying to say?

Bankers are evil or somewhere along the lines of that...he doesn't like them much :h:
bigmo7
Bankers are evil or somewhere along the lines of that...he doesn't like them much :h:

So a pointless rant basically?
Reply 15
UCAS_HELP_NEEDED

What's he trying to say?

things go well: they get **** loads of money

things go bad: others bail them out

he is saying its not right.
Reply 16
UCAS_HELP_NEEDED
So a pointless rant basically?

Most definitely. He doesn't really come up with a solution to what we should do with bankers...
The fault lies primarily with the Government and the Central Bank. The bankers do not expose the fraudulent nature of banking and state credit because it benefits them greatly not to. But if ever they were pissed off, they might just well tell us about the whole damn fraud, and then the Government, and the entire system, would be in big trouble...
Reply 18
The OP seems to have gone a bit crazy in suggesting they **** off elsewhere, but he does have a point. Why bankers who have essentially lost touch with reality, ignored all prudence in the interests of profit margins and got into a situation where they essentially brought the institutions that employed to the point of ruin should end up anywhere apart from jail is very hard for many to understand.
Reply 19
Bagration
The fault lies primarily with the Government and the Central Bank. The bankers do not expose the fraudulent nature of banking and state credit because it benefits them greatly not to. But if ever they were pissed off, they might just well tell us about the whole damn fraud, and then the Government, and the entire system, would be in big trouble...

Pretty much sums up the mentality of many of the bankers. To suggest that fault only lies with the government for failing to regulate properly (certainly a major failing no doubt) is disingenious IMO.

Latest

Trending

Trending