The Student Room Group

Death

So you know that even if the manner of your death is arbitrary, your mortality is inescapable?

Depressing? Maybe the interahamwe will get you, maybe you'll die in the next civil war with the EZLN, maybe you'll be hit by a car, maybe you'll get cancer, maybe you'll be executed in China or Texas.
Maybe you'll have cardiac arrest, your brain will get a tumour, your feet will fail, your lungs will stop and your heart will end. Perhaps Hamas will kill you, perhaps Hezbollah. Maybe you'll linger like Gilad Shalit, maybe you won't. Your parents will die, your lover, your sister, brother, friend, the girl across the street, your dog, the insignificant ants we step on... everything. We're tied to all organisms because inspite of it all, we all have the same fate.
It's black - your future is black. What is there beyond death but infinite nothingness. Do you believe in a soul? In an omniscient God? An all knowing, loving, compassionate, caring, protective God? An Abrahamic God? A Hindu God? Your own God?
You're going to die, I'm going to die, we're all going to die. Our descendants won't remember us (what's your paternal great, great grandmothers name?)
And what then? People say death is the next step, but they're wrong. Death is the end - your body will rot, the eyes that read this will end, the hands that type this will fail, one day I'll be old. My body will end, hands, feet, liver, kidney, lungs... all decrepid. All finite.
All we have to remind you of ourselves is the tangible things we leave you.
Shakespeare had it:

Or I shall live your epitaph to make,
Or you survive when I in earth am rotten;
From hence your memory death cannot take,
Although in me each part will be forgotten.
Your name from hence immortal life shall have,
Though I, once gone, to all the world must die:
The earth can yield me but a common grave,
When you entombed in men's eyes shall lie.
Your monument shall be my gentle verse,
Which eyes not yet created shall o'er-read,
And tongues to be your being shall rehearse
When all the breathers of this world are dead;
You still shall live--such virtue hath my pen--
Where breath most breathes, even in the mouths of men.

Do you have any thoughts about your death?

Scroll to see replies

i cant die til i've shagged bubbles de mile :teeth:
Clubber Lang

Who is this Bubbles de Mile you speak of?
Reply 3
Only thoughts I've had is hoping it's a long time away and its quick.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Who is this Bubbles de Mile?

your long-lost male twin maybe?
It's going to be a heroic death as I defend millions of human slaves against giant robots in a one man effort.
Reply 6
Bubbles*de*Milo
Who is this Bubbles de Mile you speak of?

Have a wild guess.
Reply 7
Bubbles*de*Milo
So you know that even if the manner of your death is arbitrary, your mortality is inescapable?

Depressing? Maybe the interahamwe will get you, maybe you'll die in the next civil war with the EZLN, maybe you'll be hit by a car, maybe you'll get cancer, maybe you'll be executed in China or Texas.
Maybe you'll have cardiac arrest, your brain will get a tumour, your feet will fail, your lungs will stop and your heart will end. Perhaps Hamas will kill you, perhaps Hezbollah. Maybe you'll linger like Gilad Shalit, maybe you won't. Your parents will die, your lover, your sister, brother, friend, the girl across the street, your dog, the insignificant ants we step on... everything. We're tied to all organisms because inspite of it all, we all have the same fate.
It's black - your future is black. What is there beyond death but infinite nothingness. Do you believe in a soul? In an omniscient God? An all knowing, loving, compassionate, caring, protective God? An Abrahamic God? A Hindu God? Your own God?
You're going to die, I'm going to die, we're all going to die. Our descendants won't remember us (what's your paternal great, great grandmothers name?)
And what then? People say death is the next step, but they're wrong. Death is the end - your body will rot, the eyes that read this will end, the hands that type this will fail, one day I'll be old. My body will end, hands, feet, liver, kidney, lungs... all decrepid. All finite.
All we have to remind you of ourselves is the tangible things we leave you.
Shakespeare had it:

Or I shall live your epitaph to make,
Or you survive when I in earth am rotten;
From hence your memory death cannot take,
Although in me each part will be forgotten.
Your name from hence immortal life shall have,
Though I, once gone, to all the world must die:
The earth can yield me but a common grave,
When you entombed in men's eyes shall lie.
Your monument shall be my gentle verse,
Which eyes not yet created shall o'er-read,
And tongues to be your being shall rehearse
When all the breathers of this world are dead;
You still shall live--such virtue hath my pen--
Where breath most breathes, even in the mouths of men.

Do you have any thoughts about your death?

..... well we still know Shakespeare's name? So I guess everyone can at least hope for eternal fame?

Anyway I have decided: I am going to have any money left when I die spent on a really ornate and expensive coffin and be buried in a chamber with loads of jewelery etc and maybe a sword and I'm gonna have my name inscribed on the coffin and be buried under a mound. Then in a few hundred years peeps will dig me up (probably archeologists) and 'know' that I was extremely important but wont be entirely sure why and so I will become a mystery and go on display in a museum :smile: so its not all bad :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm immortal.

(However, I still enjoy Mortal Kombat)
Reply 9
Reply 10
Wow, controversial. You're tackling the big taboos of modern society head on! You go, girl!
Reply 11
As Albus Dumbledore once said, "Death is but the next great adventure"
Reply 12
Clubber Lang

Haha! Repped, cheer up Bubbles stop being so angsty

Crude humour ftw
punktopia
Wow, controversial. You're tackling the big taboos of modern society head on! You go, girl!

POW MOTHER ******!
Reply 14
Bubbles*de*Milo
POW MOTHER ******!

Prisoner of war?
Reply 15
I once had a dream that when i died i went to this place that was before heaven where I had to play this game on an old games console that involved big yellow chickens. If you lost you didn't get chance to go back and say goodbye to people. I lost. That was pretty sad actually.

As for real death then i'm not going to know its happened so don't see how it can affect me really, apart from the obvious fact of being dead. As long as i don't have a long drawn out and painful death, or have to play that bloody chicken game, i'm ok with it.
a_t
Haha! Repped, cheer up Bubbles stop being so angsty

Crude humour ftw

It's so hard not to be angsty.

Ohhh so hard.

Brb, g2g slit my wrists.

YAY!
Reply 17
well duh.
no point in thinking about it, most likely most people are not going to die tomorrow, if you do, you can't really stop it.

i just hope i don't suffer or any of my family suffer to the lead of their death.
nothing is forever.
Reply 18
Deyn_08
well duh.
no point in thinking about it, most likely most people are not going to die tomorrow, if you do, you can't really stop it.

i just hope i don't suffer or any of my family suffer to the lead of their death.
nothing is forever.

yo deyn.

you can't create or destroy mass/energy, so i believe some things are forever.

word, 7.
Sometimes I'm like, bring it on :jiggy:

But sometimes I'm like, I don't wanna die :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending