The Student Room Group

Uni work is really hard

It is my second week and I started my lectures yesterday, I feel like I am not going to cope with work at Uni due to the nature of teaching style and self study involved, I find it so hard to get to grips with sitting through a lecture where the lecturer just talks for ages, then expects me to go and do a **** load of study, assignments and then expects me to email him the work. It is too machine like, I much prefer the teaching style when the teacher knows you on a personal basis and can give you help and feedback in a more understandable way.
Got 3 years of Uni left how will I cope, anyone else feel the same.
I am doing dual honors maths and chemistry
That's why you have tutorials.

You, uh, do have tutorials, right? :confused:
Reply 2
What do you expect us to do?

Pull you're finger out, stand up straight and work dam it! Either you put in the effort (or lack of in first year), spend thousands of pounds and come out with the shiny piece of paper or really re-think you're options before you spend two years in the same old rut and end up wasting time and money. Seriously though, it's not that difficult, just manage your time a bit better and then enjoy yourself. If you don't enjoy yourself then you'll begrudge the whole experience. University it a gay ole time to quote the Flintstones, you just have to make something of it instead of waiting on others.

Adios!
Reply 3
Yeah, that's what tutorials are supposed to be for.
Reply 4
That style of teaching is sort of the point of university. You're not there to be spoonfed. Though, of course, you can and will get to know the lecturers more personally - if you're struggling, just go up to the lecturer and ask questions at the end.
It might get better when you get more used to it and into a routine. As above, tutorials help if you're stuck and they're more one-to-one... ok, not literally but more personal! Maybe see if others are having the same problems, if you've made friedns on the course? You could meet up and go over it sometime.
Reply 6
NeedsaLife
It is my second week and I started my lectures yesterday, I feel like I am not going to cope with work at Uni due to the nature of teaching style and self study involved, I find it so hard to get to grips with sitting through a lecture where the lecturer just talks for ages, then expects me to go and do a **** load of study, assignments and then expects me to email him the work. It is too machine like, I much prefer the teaching style when the teacher knows you on a personal basis and can give you help and feedback in a more understandable way.

Do you not get assigned a tutor when you enrolled? do they not do some modules which contain study skills? have they not set up tutorial groups?

I ask these questions because my uni provides all fo these. One of our modules is based around study skills, it is also tighed into biomedical science too which is what im doing as a joint degree with human biology.

We have tutorials for almost all fo the modules which are great because they are in smaller groups than the lectures and offer extra help with understanding the lectures. We are also assigned a tutor who we have to meet up with at least 3 times throughout the academic year, this gives us a chance to air some concerns privately and maybe get some extra help if needed. The lecturers and other tutors here also offer extra help through email or on a 1 to 1 basis if we were to book an appointment with them.

We also have an online system called WOLF where the tutors/lecturers put the powerpoint presentations, tutorial notes, test exam questions etc on to so we can read and study. The resources we are given are almost endless, it makes learning a little easier and takes a lot of the strain off us.

Stick with it, this is your first week of lectures, they may introduce some of these elements to you over the next few weeks. I am on my 3rd week of lectures and we only just set off into our little tutorial groups.

Don't give up, you will settle down into a new kind of teaching/learning style. give it a few months because you will only regret it if you decide to drop out. Uni is hard, its not supposed to be easy, i bet there are hundreds of other students in thinking the same thing as you, talk to them because if anything, knowing someone else can relate will make you feel a little better, you won't feel alone.

good luck
Reply 7
I'm thinking the same as you though the thing that disappoints me most about this style is the method of giving in work. I just prefer the simple system of school and 6th form where you know the teacher and you can submit an essay so easily. Whereas, here there seems to be so many channels and methods you need to go down. It's just annoying me.
Reply 8
Change to an arts course.
Reply 9
Maker
Change to an arts course.

How will that be any different?
Things are likely to become easier as the course progresses. You're only two weeks in and you're still finding your feet. If you talk to other people, you may be surprised at how many people feel the same as you :smile:
I'm finding the workload abit much and the nature of teaching new, meh architecture course, but slowly getting used to it. I think you just have to stick it out for abit longer to see how it goes. Tutorials..
NeedsaLife

If you can't adjust to the different ways of learning at university, you'll struggle big time. That sounds like quite a demanding course also.

It may just be a shock to the system, you may find yourself get used to it as time goes on. Just work your ass of boy!
Reply 13
cpj1987
That style of teaching is sort of the point of university. You're not there to be spoonfed

What does this actually mean exactly :smile:
newman24x
What does this actually mean exactly :smile:
Instead of the material being delivered in small, managable chunks (like at school), where the teacher would be on your back every 5 mins to see if you're ok with it, the material at university is basically thrown at you like a big bucket of *****. You have to sift through it yourself, piece it together and understand it yourself.
Reply 15
It'll be easier once you get used to. Unfortunately that is exactly what university education is all about - sometimes I felt like I was paying for a glorified library card.
Reply 16
Arts degrees require less work than science ones and they are much less intellectually challenging as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending