The Student Room Group

My dissertation topic has just been destroyed, need some help with ideas!

Hey guys,

I've just gone into my final year of an Event Management degree. I came up with my dissertation topic back in May, spoke to one of the lecturers and she OKed it and said it would be good. I was going to look at the impacts of the Olympics on its host cities, then making future recommendations for London 2012. Anyway, all summer I'm been gathering reading on it, and in the past couple of weeks have been working hard to get my proposal together which is due on the 22nd. And now the dissertation module leader and my year leader have both said that I shouldn't do the topic and that even if I narrow it down it's just too difficult so I should stay away from it. So now I'm stuck without a topic and have to do a 3000 word proposal by the 22nd!

My main interest was the Olympics. But other than that, live music events really interests me. I just can't seem to come up with a topic though, any suggestions? I can't even look at past ones at my uni because I'll be the first year to graduate on this course. Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully appreciated!!

Caroline
Reply 1
hey, im jus wondering did u end up getting a topic? im quite stuck as well looking for a topic in same programme
Reply 2
I went for music festival evaluation. I think my final title was..

The effectiveness of evaluation methods used by UK Music Festivals : A Glastonbury Case Study
Reply 3
Can't you just isolate and focus on one aspect? I mean there will be a billion variables out there, but couldn't you narrow down the research area to uncover something smaller in greater depth? Why should you have to start from scratch? Seems a bit ridiculous.
Reply 4
I did have to start from scratch because I was told that the Olympics is far too broad, too many variables, too hard to measure. No matter how much I narrowed it down, they said no. So I changed it, was happy with my new topic anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending