The Student Room Group

I don't know how to write a dissertation and i really need help!

Hi, I am on the dissertation level of my course and i know what my topic is but i don't know my question for the dissertation and how to write it.

Any help would be very much grateful.
Reply 1
Well, you need to give us a bit more info if we are to help you with this. What subject are you studying, for example.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
Well, you need to give us a bit more info if we are to help you with this. What subject are you studying, for example.

I am Studying Media/Film Studies and my subject for my dissertation is The History of the Protagonist in Action Movies
Reply 3
OK so it's a traditional humanties style dissertation.

The History of the Protagonist in Action Movies is not a question (as you clearly already know) and so formatulating a question or questions is the first step forward.

The danger with this kind of subject is that you end up doing a descriptive history of the genre. So a good incisive research queston is key to drive the research and reading.

Some things to think about:
- what research has already been done, what questions have already been asked?
- are there any niche areas, eg female protagonists, protagonists in particular sub-genres?
- what is your area of interest - this will help to motivate you
- any particular trends you have noticed that no one has studied yet?

I wuld imagine this is a pretty well-researched field. Do a Google Scholar search to see what comes up.

Come back to us when you have some ideas! Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
OK so it's a traditional humanties style dissertation.

The History of the Protagonist in Action Movies is not a question (as you clearly already know) and so formatulating a question or questions is the first step forward.

The danger with this kind of subject is that you end up doing a descriptive history of the genre. So a good incisive research queston is key to drive the research and reading.

Some things to think about:
- what research has already been done, what questions have already been asked?
- are there any niche areas, eg female protagonists, protagonists in particular sub-genres?
- what is your area of interest - this will help to motivate you
- any particular trends you have noticed that no one has studied yet?

I wuld imagine this is a pretty well-researched field. Do a Google Scholar search to see what comes up.

Come back to us when you have some ideas! Good Luck!

Thank you for the help! I don't suppose you could help me come up with a research question. I was thinking of How has the role of the protagonist changed in Action Movies? Not sure if that would be a good enough question though.
Reply 5
How has the role of the protagonist changed in Action Movies? is a big broad question, so you need to start narrowing down the field. Then you can redraft your question.

What will count as an action movie in your research?
Are there specific sub-genres of the action movie umbrella category?
What timeframe are we talking about?
Are there particular directors who you could case-study, compare & contrast?
Are there any protagonists who could be case-studied?
Reply 6
Original post by cheadle
How has the role of the protagonist changed in Action Movies? is a big broad question, so you need to start narrowing down the field. Then you can redraft your question.

What will count as an action movie in your research?
Are there specific sub-genres of the action movie umbrella category?
What timeframe are we talking about?
Are there particular directors who you could case-study, compare & contrast?
Are there any protagonists who could be case-studied?

Thank you for the info i have come up with an idea that being the How has the portrayal of the protagonist in the action genre evolved over time. But over say 70 years. there is no sub genres either

Do you think that is a better question or still to broad
Reply 7
70 years a quite a long period to cover. My concern would be that you end up doing a blow by blow chronological description of what happened in, say, each decade. WHich is not the best kind of dissertation.
However, it's a start - so...

- what 70 year period are we talking about?
- can we book end it with a classic action movie at either end, each being representative of the movies being made at that time
- how will you break the 70 years down? rather than go withd decades, - can you identify aset of films that represent a new developments or paradigm shifts with protagonists within the genre across that seventy years- so one at either end and maybe another 2 or 3 in between?

Can you see where I'm going with this?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by cheadle
70 years a quite a long period to cover. My concern would be that you end up doing a blow by blow chronological description of what happened in, say, each decade. WHich is not the best kind of dissertation.
However, it's a start - so...

- what 70 year period are we talking about?
- can we book end it with a classic action movie at either end, each being representative of the movies being made at that time
- how will you break the 70 years down? rather than go withd decades, - can you identify aset of films that represent a new developments or paradigm shifts with protagonists within the genre across that seventy years- so one at either end and maybe another 2 or 3 in between?

Can you see where I'm going with this?

yes i understand you. I just feel like i have shot myself in the foot picking the wrong topic that is going to be too descriptive
Reply 9
There is nothing wrong with your topic. Honestly. What we're exploring here is your approach to it.

A different question for you then.
What do you expect to discover from your research into how the action movie protagonist has developed over the past, say, 70 years?

If you watch lots of action movies, you should have some thoughts about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending