The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i think it's just the uni's way of doing things, and each uni emphasises different aspects so at Reading you might see alot of cleft lip, whereas at Sheffield you might only briefly touch upon the subject. i think Sheffield/Newcastle are more medical because they have hospitals nearby and have medical students, whereas Reading doesn't offer medicine so they can't have joint lectures, and Newcastle because they can offer joint lectures with med students can also offer face/neck dissection :smile: i'm not sure about UCL or city though sorry!
krjohnson
heyy have most people heard from newcastle now? im still waiting to hear from them..

i sent mine off at the beginning of November and haven't heard anything from them :frown:
Reply 782
bumblebee111191
i think it's just the uni's way of doing things, and each uni emphasises different aspects so at Reading you might see alot of cleft lip, whereas at Sheffield you might only briefly touch upon the subject. i think Sheffield/Newcastle are more medical because they have hospitals nearby and have medical students, whereas Reading doesn't offer medicine so they can't have joint lectures, and Newcastle because they can offer joint lectures with med students can also offer face/neck dissection :smile: i'm not sure about UCL or city though sorry!

o ok cool........ so besides, UCL and City, do you know which unis are multicultural,,,,,,,,, like those 2 r cos they are in multicultural areas.......
Reply 783
also is BCU still doing there SLT course, coz i couldn't find the page about it one their website, it sed no longer available?
krjohnson
heyy have most people heard from newcastle now? im still waiting to hear from them..

Same boat :frown:
Reply 785
Dumpling
Thankyou, you too :smile: mines unconditional, what about yours? I know, it's so scary!

yeah unconditional so i'll definetly be there in Septmber :smile:
Reply 786
Hi there,

Sorry I'm new on here and didnt realise you had replied! Thanks for the info i'm really nervous as I have an interview for city in April, its the day after I come back from holiday and im gonna be jetlagged i imagine!
So you are deferring?? Is that because you have just realised its going tot cost more than expected?? Its not as if you can have a part time job with this course due to the intensity of it.

To be honest i havnt looked into funding, i have kind of presumed that it will be provided for but i think ive been a bit nieve, I didnt realise that about Edinburgh, doubt i'll be going there then!! How did you get on with UCL? I missed the deadline for applying there. I keep meaning to apply to essex but havent got round to it, shouldnt keep putting it off!

Yeah a friend of mine is at reading this year, she is one of those perfect all rounder types, im not surprised she was accepted lucky thing! So what made you want to be a slt? Is it related to a job you are doing now?:smile:

Flicker
No I had no idea it was really funny because my boyfriend said the night before it would be weird if she was there! There were 4 people interviewing though and I hadn't heard of the others.

The questions were really standard... Why Speech Therapy, what will be hard for you, what are you looking forward to, what do you know about challenges facing an SLT. She didn't ask that much specifically about my work exp I just brought it up into every question to demonstrate knowledge and give examples etc. I got the impression she wanted to know I really understood what's involved and what I'm getting into - so be honest about anything that scares you, i think I mentioned being a bit worried about getting upset if adults had had bad accidents and things.

Then at the end she asked why City and I pretty much reproduced the talk they'd given - City pride themselves on giving their students more than the minimum advised placement time and having emphasis and support in place there so I harped on about that. She probably talked about as much as I did it was more like a chat!

Everyone at my interview was going on about how hard Reading is to get into - isn't there only 6 places or something?! I only applied to City and UCL as I want to stay in London. I'm excited but going to have to defer to save up enough pennies to survive through the course! BTW you know you don't get fees paid in Edinburgh? As I was thinking of applying to there but someone told me that and I was like...uh oh!
Reply 787
Hi there,

I'm afraid I havent had any interviews for either (I have applied to Greenwich and am planning on applying to Essex) but as yet havent heard from them other than a letter saying they had received my application. I did an undergrad at essex and loved it, it has a really nice friendly campus feel, I have spoken to someone who is on the slt course about their interview at essex and they said it was much more relaxed than the other interviews they'd had, apparently they had to watch a video and talk about communication etc and applicants were paired up for interviews, although not in the sense that they were competing against each other, more in th way that they could bounce of each other. I have an interview for city tho, when is your interview?x

Cassie01
Hi, i'm going for the Post Grad courses at Essex, City and Greenwich, and i've been invited to interviews in March and April. Has anyone been to those ones yet? I'm really scared! What questions do they ask???? help!!!!!!!!
Hey,

Just had my letter from Birmingham City offering me an interview on 3rd March!! Eeeeek!! It's a written one!
Has anyone had this interview? can you spread ome light as to what they ask you?

thanks alot x
Reply 789
krjohnson

same! I think they're waiting on my january module exam results - well, either that or they've forgotten about me!

but i'd love to go there though. Is it one of your top choices?
Reply 790
Lulu100
Hi there,

Sorry I'm new on here and didnt realise you had replied! Thanks for the info i'm really nervous as I have an interview for city in April, its the day after I come back from holiday and im gonna be jetlagged i imagine!
So you are deferring?? Is that because you have just realised its going tot cost more than expected?? Its not as if you can have a part time job with this course due to the intensity of it.

To be honest i havnt looked into funding, i have kind of presumed that it will be provided for but i think ive been a bit nieve, I didnt realise that about Edinburgh, doubt i'll be going there then!! How did you get on with UCL? I missed the deadline for applying there. I keep meaning to apply to essex but havent got round to it, shouldnt keep putting it off!

Yeah a friend of mine is at reading this year, she is one of those perfect all rounder types, im not surprised she was accepted lucky thing! So what made you want to be a slt? Is it related to a job you are doing now?:smile:

NHS pays fees for the course if you go to a uni in England, and there is a means tested bursary available but it will be done on your parents income unless you've been living away from home for 3 years not including university!

I had always thought I would defer as I only graduated last summer and need some time to pay off overdraft/save up, but I think there was also a glimmer of hope I might be able to go this September, you know if I won the lottery or something! I didn't want to say I was deferring at interview though in case it affected my chances but they were fine after I'd had the offer. And exactly you need to have all the money there in savings because you can't work at all in those two year!

I didn't even get an interview at UCL! But I actually really preferred the course and atmosphere at City anyway so I'm happy. I only applied to those two as I want to stay in London, but I'm from Essex originally actually! What was your undergrad in?

I just really liked all the developmental and linguistics parts of my undergrad and I love working with people and children so it seems like a perfect combination of interaction and the potential for research :smile: I work in a children's tuition centre at the moment so it is kind of relevant but it's much more salesy/marketing focussed than I like. What about you?
Reply 791
09Rachel
same! I think they're waiting on my january module exam results - well, either that or they've forgotten about me!

but i'd love to go there though. Is it one of your top choices?

i really hope they dont wait for january module results.. i dont think they went too well for me!

yeah manchester and newcastle are my top atm i think, but i havent looked round sheffield yet so when i go for my interview im going to have a good look round:smile: is newcastle one of your top choices then?
anitaE
also is BCU still doing there SLT course, coz i couldn't find the page about it one their website, it sed no longer available?

Don't you mean this?

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/speech-and-language-therapy
daisychain813
Hi
did you study post grad or under grad??

Im thinking of going BCU to study speech and language therapy undergrad and got an interview on wednesday ... and its written so don't really know what to expect.... any tips??

also whats it like studying at BCU? do you get both adult and child placements? how many people are there per year?/

Hey, how did your interview go at BCU? What did they ask you? x
Reply 794
PhoenixFortune

How did it go at Marjon yesterday? I didn't go but I've received a letter today inviting me to the visit day next week so am just trying to find the best possible deal on a hotel room! Think I will need to stay overnight on the Tuesday and then drive home after the day finishes on the Wednesday!
I just got a call from the occupational health nurse at Marjon about the health screen questionnaire I'd filled in. She said because I had asthma and an allergy to animal dander I might not be fit to do the course, because I'd been to hospital because of it. And I haven't ever been to hospital, let alone for asthma or allergies! I put her straight though, and now she's going to tell them I'm fit to study.

Close call though! I don't know where she got that idea from. At least I've definitely passed the medical. :smile:
what's everyone's predicted grades, and what did u guys get for GCSE's like in Maths, Eng, Science, has this created any problems with u applyiing anywhere?? just interested
Reply 797
krjohnson
i really hope they dont wait for january module results.. i dont think they went too well for me!

yeah manchester and newcastle are my top atm i think, but i havent looked round sheffield yet so when i go for my interview im going to have a good look round:smile: is newcastle one of your top choices then?

yeah I loved newcastle when I went to visit - I just hope I get in now!
and me too - I just hope I didn't do as bad as I think in my exams(not likely!)

have you applied anywhere else?
Hi
I was reseaching for some interviews I have and came across this thread and came to find that I had an account on here from a while back. :smile: I've also applied for SLT this year. This is what i've got so far:
City - Interview
UCL - Interview
Manchester Met - Questionnaire
Newcastle - Conditional
Reading - No response what so ever

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for interviews at City or UCL? Very scared at the moment!!

Thanks
xx
Reply 799
Got an email today from Reading saying I have been shortlisted for the questionnaire stage :biggrin: (ironic really, as have started leaning towards a PGCert instead of the BSc or MSc). The questions are quite ambiguous! Good interview prep though in case I get an interview at Sheffield or UCL.

Anyone else completed their Reading questionnaire - how did you find it, did you angst over it much?

Latest