The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

zanzapan
Heeeyyyy peoples, I still havent got my NHS bursary letter, should I be worrying?

I still haven't got mine either. I sent the NHS Bursary people an email asking how they organise things so I can make a guess at when my number will come, but as I only sent it this afternoon I don't have a reply yet.

My cut off point is the middle of June, and if I haven't received my number by then, I'll ring up and get it.

I'm getting on and filling in the form, so when I do get my number I can just send it off straight away. :smile:
zanzapan
Heeeyyyy peoples, I still havent got my NHS bursary letter, should I be worrying?

(Sorry to quote you again!) I just received my NHS number this morning! Any luck yourself?
travel_allaround
Ah. Thanks for the tip! :smile: I'm going to Uni of Reading this Sept.

I have just completed my first year at Reading, and you will need from 0-5 years by Mary Sheridan and ideally a book by Laura Berk called Child Development would be more than useful for the child development assignment that you do all year. Sheridans is only a thin book but contains alot of key developmental milestones. You will also be required to purchase lecumberri and maidment English Transcription Course in the spring term but you start doing phonetics in October. I wish I had been told these books previously- and I would strongly suggest getting a heads up on phonetics over the summer and you will fly through that! (That is the English transcription course book) And practice transcription as much as possible. They will give you a list but for the first year these are the most important, ad a disovering statistics for spss by Field you will have to buy as it is required for the statistics open book exam you will have- providing they still use this book. I think that is all i can remember off the top of my head. Child Psychology by Vasta the 1998 edition is very useful as well.
Reply 1183
PhoenixFortune
(Sorry to quote you again!) I just received my NHS number this morning! Any luck yourself?

Ohhhh good for you :smile:, no mine hasnt arrived, I am getting really worried now! Also... once I have it, what do I need to do then? Please can you send me a link to that form so I could start filling it out now aswell so when I do get the number I can just pop in on the form and send it on its merry way! haha!
zanzapan
Ohhhh good for you :smile:, no mine hasnt arrived, I am getting really worried now! Also... once I have it, what do I need to do then? Please can you send me a link to that form so I could start filling it out now aswell so when I do get the number I can just pop in on the form and send it on its merry way! haha!

This is the form you have to fill in. :smile:
Dumpling
Just to clear things up for everyone - I've just rang up the NHS bursary helpline to ask about the tenancy agreement. The lady on the phone told me to put in the box about the rent an estimate of what you expect to be paying, with a note saying that you haven't received the tenancy agreement yet. She said to forward it on to them once we receive it.

Do you have to put in an estimate? Surely, by the time you get your tenancy agreement to send, you will have already received your award notification?

Will you actually get more money if your rent is higher than average?
hiya i thought i'd just let everyone know that don't worry if you haven't received the number yet cause the date by which the form has to be returned (11th June) is only to help them because they wanted a form that my dad doesn't get until the end of June, so we rang up and they said we can send it whenever and that date is only to help them do things easier :smile:
bumblebee111191
hiya i thought i'd just let everyone know that don't worry if you haven't received the number yet cause the date by which the form has to be returned (11th June) is only to help them because they wanted a form that my dad doesn't get until the end of June, so we rang up and they said we can send it whenever and that date is only to help them do things easier :smile:

The date on my letter was 25th June, not 11th. Maybe because I've only just received my letter they've staggered the return dates.
Reply 1188
PhoenixFortune
This is the form you have to fill in. :smile:

ohkey dokes... O have started to fill out that form, it is such a BEAST! oh my god! hahaha!

I am just wondering what that number is I need to ring for the number? I think I will do it next Tuesday! If I dont get it on Monday or Tuesday! I am sorry to keep asking you questions but I am completely clueless about this sorta stuff!
zanzapan
ohkey dokes... O have started to fill out that form, it is such a BEAST! oh my god! hahaha!

I am just wondering what that number is I need to ring for the number? I think I will do it next Tuesday! If I dont get it on Monday or Tuesday! I am sorry to keep asking you questions but I am completely clueless about this sorta stuff!

I presume you ring the General Enquiries number on this page, as they don't give any other contact number.
Reply 1190
PhoenixFortune
I presume you ring the General Enquiries number on this page, as they don't give any other contact number.

Oh thank you, fabulous!

And this may sound really stupid but ....I am a little confused... in section 7A it says if you are a single student you should go to section 8... but then in section 8 it wants details of people who are dependent i.e. have children...

I am a single student... so where do I put my parents income details?
I'm a tad confused and wondered if anyone could shed some light on this for me....i recieved my confimration from BCU today asking me to fill out a CRB and Health form etc as the next stage. However, on the letter it also says this....

"NHS Bursary....we have completed a Notification of Offer of a NHS Funded Place form on your behalf and will forward this to the NHS Students Grants UUnit in Blackpool. The GRants Unit will then forward you the main bursary application package. In addition, you may also be considered to recieve a maintenance grant from the Department of Health. Additionally, if you wish to apply for a student loan, you should contact your Local Authority who process Student Loan apllications."

but then it goes on to say this, which confuses me....

"As you know, universities must now charge fees as a contribution towards the costs of providing courses. The tuition fee for this full-time course in 2010/2011 will be £3290. For subsequent years of study, this fee will be increased in line with inflation."

So, does this mean that i personally have to pay this £3290 as part of my tuition fees (even though it says it is an NHS funded course)?!!! I thought the NHS paid for all the tuition fees on an NHS funded course?!! If this is true, i cannot afford to do the course, as this would be my second degree! I am so confused and worried!! Can anyone eher help me??

Thanks
zanzapan
Oh thank you, fabulous!

And this may sound really stupid but ....I am a little confused... in section 7A it says if you are a single student you should go to section 8... but then in section 8 it wants details of people who are dependent i.e. have children...

I am a single student... so where do I put my parents income details?

Have you been financially independent from your parents for 3 years? That's what classifies you as an independent student (i.e. single). In that case, you would go on to section 8.

If you are a dependent student, still living with your parents and not earning your own income, then you must complete the whole of section 7 (where applicable).
Reply 1193
PhoenixFortune
Have you been financially independent from your parents for 3 years? That's what classifies you as an independent student (i.e. single). In that case, you would go on to section 8.

If you are a dependent student, still living with your parents and not earning your own income, then you must complete the whole of section 7 (where applicable).

ohh hahahaha think I got a bit confused... sooo... I should be filling out the dependant section then I guess!
zanzapan
ohh hahahaha think I got a bit confused... sooo... I should be filling out the dependant section then I guess!

Yes, that's right. :smile:
Beatrix Potter
I have just completed my first year at Reading, and you will need from 0-5 years by Mary Sheridan and ideally a book by Laura Berk called Child Development would be more than useful for the child development assignment that you do all year. Sheridans is only a thin book but contains alot of key developmental milestones. You will also be required to purchase lecumberri and maidment English Transcription Course in the spring term but you start doing phonetics in October. I wish I had been told these books previously- and I would strongly suggest getting a heads up on phonetics over the summer and you will fly through that! (That is the English transcription course book) And practice transcription as much as possible. They will give you a list but for the first year these are the most important, ad a disovering statistics for spss by Field you will have to buy as it is required for the statistics open book exam you will have- providing they still use this book. I think that is all i can remember off the top of my head. Child Psychology by Vasta the 1998 edition is very useful as well.

Thanks for the reply Beatrix Potter! Appreciate your help :smile: I'm pretty excited to start the course now. Can't wait!
Reply 1196
Beatrix Potter

I second the Mary Sheridan book. I brought it in my first year and it was the best £10 I ever spent as you will always refer to it
Reply 1197
Hi is anyone studying the foundation degree in rehabilitation work at bcu in visual impairment. I would like to know what happens on the day they call you for an interview as it says you have alot of activites to do and an interview to be selected. Scared and confused plz help
MUMof2
Hi is anyone studying the foundation degree in rehabilitation work at bcu in visual impairment. I would like to know what happens on the day they call you for an interview as it says you have alot of activites to do and an interview to be selected. Scared and confused plz help

Maybe you should start a new thread for this, as this is the SLT thread. Also you can post a thread on the BCU sub-forum here.
Bethaniee
Hey, I'm a first year SLT at UCP Marjon, also now a student ambassador :smile: If you have any questions about the course, uni, city, or anything, don't hesitate to ask! I absolutely love it here! x

Hi there :smile:

I'm going to Marjon this september and I've been searching on Facebook for a freshers page but there doesn't seem to be one so I created one myself at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131825113509909&v=photos#!/group.php?gid=131825113509909&v=wall

Is there any way of advertising it and getting it out there to other freshers? As obviously I don't know any so it is rather difficult in terms of getting people to join!

Latest