The Student Room Group

C3/4 differentiation help- rep pts offer!

Hi,

i cant get my head around how to find out if a stationary point is a max, min or pt of inflexion

eg

y= (2x-3)^6

dy/dx = 12(2x-3)^5

x= 3/2, therefore y= 0, but is it a max or is it a min, or pt of inflexion and how do you know ?

help would really be appreciated =]]]

rep will be given to the person who submits the most delicious answer
Reply 1
To work out Max or min you differentiate again and put your x value in. If it comes out positive it is min if it comes out negative it is maximum. 0 is pt on inflection.
Reply 2
MaccyG
To work out Max or min you differentiate again and put your x value in. If it comes out positive it is min if it comes out negative it is maximum. 0 is pt on inflection.

i tried that b4, but im afraid it cant be right, as answers say (1.5,0) on curve is a min =[[
MaccyG
To work out Max or min you differentiate again and put your x value in. If it comes out positive it is min if it comes out negative it is maximum. 0 is pt of inflection.

Not always.
Reply 4
Mr M
Not always.

PLEASE HELP ME NOBLE MATHEMAGICIAN
Reply 5
Tommy Jay

Tommy Jay

Using:
dydx=12(2x3)5\frac{dy}{dx}=12(2x-3)^5

When x=3/2 you get 0, so pick 2 values either side.. i.e. 3/2+0.1 and 3/2-0.1 or something and see what the gradients are at these points. Then you can judge what kind of turning point it is.

Using the above suggested values you can see that the gradient is positive either side of the turning point therefore the function is increasing either side of the point. i.e. its a minimum
Reply 6
sheligalo
Using:
dydx=12(2x3)5\frac{dy}{dx}=12(2x-3)^5

When x=3/2 you get 0, so pick 2 values either side.. i.e. 3/2+0.1 and 3/2-0.1 or something and see what the gradients are at these points. Then you can judge what kind of turning point it is.

Using the above suggested values you can see that the gradient is positive either side of the turning point therefore the function is increasing either side of the point. i.e. its a minimum

thanks =],

but is there no other quicker way? i like my maths short and sexy
Reply 7
Tommy Jay
thanks =],

No :smile: If d2ydx2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 0 That's the only way of checking :smile:
Reply 8
Tommy Jay
thanks =],

A sufficient condition for a point of inflection is that the lowest-order non-zero derivative is of odd order.

Latest