The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you're just jealous...
Reply 2
I give music 7/10.
Yeah I hardly listen to it...
But obviously I know all of the current hits etc because I go out clubbing quite a lot but I dont listen to it outside of that.
In which case, you're listening to the wrong music. One of these days, you'll hear some crud that really makes you feel something
Reply 5
i think different people appeal to different arts - some like music, others like literature or art. some don't actually need creative outlets at all... i'm one of those people who isn't bothered by visual art in any way.

so basically it doesn't make you strange, and don't worry! :smile:
Reply 6
Revolution is my Name
In which case, you're listening to the wrong music. One of these days, you'll hear some crud that really makes you feel something

Feel what? What does music do which is so lauded by everyone? Sure, Bach sound good, but what does it mean? What does 'Stairway to Haven' mean if you remove the (fantastic) lyrics?
Reply 7
... :erm: Surely there's at least one song you find yourself humming, or got stuck in your head, or you hear it on the tv/ in a club whatever and tap your foot or bop your head? It's like an instinct. There are hundreds of different styles and genres out there. I really doubt it's possible not to like at least one song.

And if you're going to be going down that route, what's the point of anything at all?
I know truly tone deaf people don't get the same pleasure out of it as others do.
Reply 9
Jelephant
... :erm: Surely there's at least one song you find yourself humming, or got stuck in your head, or you hear it on the tv/ in a club whatever and tap your foot or bop your head? It's like an instinct. There are hundreds of different styles and genres out there. I really doubt it's possible not to like at least one song.

And if you're going to be going down that route, what's the point of anything at all?

Sure there are some stuff that sound good, but isn't it ultimately pointless. I find literature, conversly, to have meaning, something which a buch of sounds don't.
magicsharkman
Feel what? What does music do which is so lauded by everyone? Sure, Bach sound good, but what does it mean? What does 'Stairway to Haven' mean if you remove the (fantastic) lyrics?

It's hard to explain exactly, but, when you find the right song, at the right time, then you'll know exactly what I mean
magicsharkman
Sure there are some stuff that sound good, but isn't it ultimately pointless. I find literature, conversly, to have meaning, something which a buch of sounds don't.

Literature is just a bunch of squiggles on a page.
magicsharkman

Then what's the difference? Why is writing in the form of a book more meaningful than writing in the form of lyrics, or music?
explosions hurt
Literature is just a bunch of squiggles on a page.

Which has meaning which can be decyphired and related to the human condition.
Is it possible for someone not like to music? who has the ability to hear... I've never met anyone who didn't like music, it would be like meeting a dead OR deaf person.
Jelephant
Then what's the difference? Why is writing in the form of a book more meaningful than writing in the form of lyrics, or music?

Perhaps the question I'm sking is, how does music reflect our lives?
I'm not a big fan of music to be honest. I listen to it in my car, but my collection is limited (White Stripes and Eminem. Strange I know). I'm more into literature, whereas some people hate that. I guess it is seen as more 'cool' to be into lots of music these days.
magicsharkman
Which has meaning which can be decyphired and related to the human condition.

So can music :dontknow:

magicsharkman
Perhaps the question I'm sking is, how does music reflect our lives?

A lot of music can relect life :confused: Plenty of people write music about how they're feeling, not just silly things like the Fast food song or whatever. People write music about love and pain and happiness and betrayal just the same as any novelist does.
Reply 18
shyopstv
I give music 7/10.

Nah, it's a 6.8 now at best.
Everyone likes music but u

Latest

Trending

Trending