The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
GeorginaSabrina
I've got offers from UCL and York for MA in English, but now I'm panicking about what to do about funding! I've already said I want to apply for AHRC but now there're are application forms to send off to the individual universities to try and get nominated for AHRC. The problem is, if I apply to both am I going to have to pull out if I get funding from the other place? I'm also still waiting to hear from Oxford and what if they offer me funding at the last second? It kind of seems like I'll have to choose which place to go to before I have all the information..Is anyone else in a similar situation?
Sorry I think that's kind of incoherent, but to be honest that's how the whole funding issue seems to me right now!

with York you will hear very soon, in fact. They claim that they will nominate people for AHRC by 15th March and then you in turn need to accept or decline the nomination by 1st April, way earlier than in most cases.
Reply 181
apotoftea
You still need to indicate where you're getting your funding from (if any). So if you want to be included as a research council applicant, then make sure you tick the box.

The universities' only choose who they want to fund (if they have money to give etc) so it's up to you and you only to make sure they know what you want to be considered.

In that case I'll be sure to put myself down as requiring funding and mentioning that I meet the requirements on the ESPRC website for funding. Thanks for the help.

I've written to a couple of professors and many of them seem to think that it'll be difficult to get funding from the research council for a MSc, which is a shame as there's no way I can fund myself without getting into obscene amounts of debt. It'd be so much easier if you could get a student loan on Masters courses!
Reply 182
mikejpb
In that case I'll be sure to put myself down as requiring funding and mentioning that I meet the requirements on the ESPRC website for funding. Thanks for the help. I've written to a couple of professors and many of them seem to think that it'll be difficult to get funding from the research council for a MSc, which is a shame as there's no way I can fund myself without getting into obscene amounts of debt.

No worries. Just double check the course you're applying for actually have funding available. Pointless ticking the RC box when there isn't any to give!

It'd be so much easier if you could get a student loan on Masters courses!

But then you'd get the world and its wife doing postgrad courses...
Is anyone else getting as stressed out and anxious waiting to hear if your university is going to put you forward for funding as I am? Going slightly insane waiting and I'm not going to find out for ages yet...I want to be able to start planning things like accomodation and stuff but don't want to get ahead of myself.
happydinosaur
Is anyone else getting as stressed out and anxious waiting to hear if your university is going to put you forward for funding as I am? Going slightly insane waiting and I'm not going to find out for ages yet...I want to be able to start planning things like accomodation and stuff but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Snap. My current housemate who is doing a four-year undergrad course wants to live with me next year, which is making things tricky for me as I try to explain that I can't really commit until I know the funding situation...
King_Duncan
Snap. My current housemate who is doing a four-year undergrad course wants to live with me next year, which is making things tricky for me as I try to explain that I can't really commit until I know the funding situation...

The closing date for Sheffield's funding requests was 15th Jan but my future department got an extension so more people could put in the forms, so it hasn't even closed yet :frown:

I'm hoping they will let me know if they are going to put me forward in early March and then I'm just going to hope I've got a good chance...luckily my departments funding is a bit different to others and there is only 1 phd studentship and 9 masters
studentships and apparently last year 8 of those went to people doing my course.

I just get so worried about the job situation and being stuck with a bank loan I can't repay:eek:
Reply 186
Hi, I was wondering if it was the usual practice to apply for departmental funding (i.e do nothing in my case as I will be automatically considered if I get an offer) and nothing else -- I ticked boxes for university funding on the application form but that's all I did...
More simply I'm worrying because I don't have any separate application to send (or I think I don't) whereas many people here do... Does that seem unusual? Thanks :smile:
Which university?
Reply 188
Oxford & UCL... (cf. my signature)
I cant see signatures sorry. Most unis do have separate forms, but UCL and Oxford both have threads in this forum, so it might be worth posting there and asking them?
Reply 190
Sooz2471
Hi, I was wondering if it was the usual practice to apply for departmental funding (i.e do nothing in my case as I will be automatically considered if I get an offer) and nothing else -- I ticked boxes for university funding on the application form but that's all I did...
More simply I'm worrying because I don't have any separate application to send (or I think I don't) whereas many people here do... Does that seem unusual? Thanks :smile:

Probably doesn't help but I know for UCL's History department, they ask for a written letter to the head of the department or someone similar stating that you're intending to apply for funding. Not entirely sure if they have a separate form or not.

Oxford AFAIK is just the application form.
Hi

I am an undergraduate student from India wishing to pursue a M.Sc. in Statistics. I am currently in the final year of my B.Sc. course (University of Mumbai). I have made applications to the following universities:-
Oxford
Warwick
Bristol (accepted)
Leeds(accepted)
Nottingham

I shall be grateful if you could answer my queries:-

1) I have made applications for a taught M.Sc. course. I intend to pursue Ph.D on completion of my masters. Should I have opted for a research degree instead of a taught degree to aid my Ph.D study? Have I created a big disadvantage for myself?

2) What is the general level of scholarships available for a Ph.D? Is it full or partial? In my case, where should i expect to get a better scholarship- Bristol or Warwick?

3) Is it necessary to have some kind of work experience for pursuing a Ph.D degree in the UK?

4) What are the current job scenario for Statistics postgraduates in the UK?

Thanks
I've just found out that I have been unsucessful in applying for departmental funding (e.g. scholarships). Is it still possible to apply to the ARHC?
Reply 193
PerkinWarbeck
I've just found out that I have been unsucessful in applying for departmental funding (e.g. scholarships). Is it possible to apply to the ARHC still?

Depends on which university you're talking, whether they've got AHRC funding for MA courses to give and the application deadline.
apotoftea
Depends on which university you're talking, whether they've got AHRC funding for MA courses to give and the application deadline.

University of Bristol. They do indeed have AHRC funding, however, I was warned at my interview that institutional funding had been cut back.
I'm yet to accept my offer - partially owing to the following;

The acceptance letter asks me to confirm sections on funding (either: myself, my employer, UK Research Council, Family, Govt. Scholarship or Other). Considering that i'm currently unsure as to where I could obtaining funding i'm not in a position to return the form.
Reply 195
PerkinWarbeck
University of Bristol. They do indeed have AHRC funding, however, I was warned at my interview that institutional funding had been cut back.
I'm yet to accept my offer - partially owing to the following;

The acceptance letter asks me to confirm sections on funding (either: myself, my employer, UK Research Council, Family, Govt. Scholarship or Other). Considering that i'm currently unsure as to where I could obtaining funding i'm not in a position to return the form.

Hmm the big question you need to find out is whether the MPhil counts under the 'Research Preparation Master's' scheme. And they've only got 1 quota for MA funding anyway.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/scholarships/bgp.html
apotoftea
Hmm the big question you need to find out is whether the MPhil counts under the 'Research Preparation Master's' scheme. And they've only got 1 quota for MA funding anyway.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/scholarships/bgp.html

Doesn't look promising. Hmmm.
And they only have one doctoral AHRC scholarship as well... makes Oxford's 18 seem enormous!
Reply 198
King_Duncan
And they only have one doctoral AHRC scholarship as well... makes Oxford's 18 seem enormous!

Outside Oxford and Cambridge, no-one's got anymore than 4 or 5 a year. It's done on their previous success rates at getting funding for students the old way.
King_Duncan
And they only have one doctoral AHRC scholarship as well

And I heard that the money from that is going to be siphoned by Stephen Howe, and put towards purchasing a massive bouncy castle. That he won't even let anyone else use!! Dude is ice cold! Look at that face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending