The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pippaaa
could somebody explain AHRC funding for PPMs to me?

i'm applying for law postgrad; there are 6 law PPM studentships available for 2013 - 2014. AHRC says that you apply to the research organisation that's part of the BGP and ask them how to apply for funding.

i'm basically really confused because the universities i'm looking at are listed by AHRC as being within the BGP scheme, but the universities only list doctoral studentships on their websites and offer no guidance on postgraduate law PPM studentships.

am i right in understanding that AHRC provides 6 law PPM studentships, and an individual applies for the postgrad course at a BGP institution, and then applies to the institution to be considered for AHRC PPM funding, and the institution then shortlists and nominates candidates, and the AHRC then issues out up to 6 PPM studentships to some of those shortlisted candidates? i.e. that the candidates can attend ANY BGP institution, and that it is not a case of 6 studentships attached to specific institutions?

My understanding is that studentships are attached to specific institutions; since a couple of years ago the universities who received BGP money have had almost total autonomy in deciding who gets their AHRC funding, rather than having to go through the Council itself. As per your question, it is entirely possible that the university(ies) that you are interested in only have doctoral studentships, as this is the case with many universities; they may only have one or two doctoral scholarships, and no Master's funding from the AHRC, as there is a lot less Master's funding overall versus at the doctoral level, meaning that universities secure a handful of PhD studentships but no Master's awards. So you might need to cast your net a bit wider in looking for AHRC Master's funding; usually a university will say explicitly if it has Master's awards to offer.
Reply 701
Hi there,

I'm currently a Cambridge undergraduate in my third year studying natural sciences and I'm starting to worry more and more about how exactly I'm going to secure funding for postgraduate studies in the future.

Here's the main reason why I'm so concerned: The results I have obtained in my first two years of study are not great at all (58% and 59%) - however, I think these percentages alone are not really representative of what I achieved in my first two years, this is because for my degree, Cambridge allocates the marks in such a way that our performances are judged relative to that of everyone in our year group so that only a set amount of students will get a certain grade e.g. 10% will get a third no matter how good there exam performances are if they are the worst 10% of students in the year group. The one positive that remains for the marking of my degree is that my third and final year is not judged like this at all, as all exams are judged on their own merit, and are not compared to the perfomance of other students, and so I hope to achieve a good 2.1 with this marking system in place.

The problem is, is that I think most of the academics evaluating my CV won't take this into account, and will just throw my application into the bin when they see how low the grades are for my first few years, even though I know that if I went to most other unis, my marks would be a lot higher. I have emailed two academic from two different Russell group institutions about this and they basically told me that they expect applicants to have a high 2.I or a first to have a chance of getting accepted for a PhD position.

I am now in the position were I think applying for funded PhD positions will primarily just be a waste of my own time, and that I should just wait to apply for PhDs next year when I have my final results in (which will hopefully be fairly decent). However, my problem is that I do not know what to do next year - I can't just doss at home for a year, but I'm not sure whether or not I will be able to get funding for a masters, and whether I should waste my time applying. My other options are to try to secure a fourth year in Cambridge studying - I could potentially do systems biology however I messed up my first year maths exam so don't meet the entry requirements for that although it is possible for me to be accepted as a 'special case'. Alternatively, Cambridge offer a fourth year management course which is supposed to be a doss subject, but I'm really not sure whether this will look good if I want to apply for a neuroscience/psychology degree in a years time.

So my question to you guys is, do you think it would at all be possible for me to secure masters funding with my low grades? If you think this will not be feasible, what would you suggest I do instead with the hope of gaining a PhD position in the following year?
soooo I recently got accepted onto UCL's MSc Language Sciences (with Neuroscience and Linguistics) and I was absolutely ecstatic for about 5 minutes, after which my mood very quickly changed to "well damn. now I need about 9 grand..."

I studied a BA in Linguistics at Newcastle Uni. In my second year, I got a mid-high first. In my third year, my grades were all over the place. I knew I wanted to do something like what this masters entails. So I decided to do my dissertation on all that lark, specifically on machine learning algorithms. Completely unfamiliar territory. I put insane hours into it, and eventually it turned out alright. But my other grades suffered. I came out with a mid-high 2:1.

I'm fairly certain I got onto this masters on the merit of my second year grades, and very kind references. The problem that then leaves me with, though, is funding. It looks like the very few funding opportunities going are kind of based on academic merit, and on paper, it doesn't look great for me. I'm pretty much resigned at this point to just getting a loan and biting the bullet. I can't see me being put forth for the 1+3 ESRC studentship. It sounds very, very competitive.

So my question, I guess, is to people who have actually gotten career development loans, or that know people who have. Specifically, the immediate aftermath. Even more specifically, for going onto a PhD afterwards. I absolutely intend to crush this degree (for 9 bloody grand, I'm getting my money's worth!) but...Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'm going to have to take a year out before doing a PhD to pay off at least some of this loan? I'd really rather not.

EDIT: I should say, also, I do plan on saving as much money as possible in the next 9 months, but I'm not as optimistic as I could be. Getting the Christmas temp job I have was a struggle (turns out a mediocre humanities degree ISN'T employability gold. who knew?) and I'm not as optimistic as I could be that I'll be employed for the rest of the time I have. If I did do so, I would still imagine that the best I could hope for is to maybe cover half of my tuition.

I also meant to mention that I live near enough to UCL that I can commute (it's not ideal, but it's workable) so covering things like rent and utilities isn't too much of an issue either!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 703
Original post by HawkAhriman
soooo I recently got accepted onto UCL's MSc Language Sciences (with Neuroscience and Linguistics) and I was absolutely ecstatic for about 5 minutes, after which my mood very quickly changed to "well damn. now I need about 9 grand..."

I studied a BA in Linguistics at Newcastle Uni. In my second year, I got a mid-high first. In my third year, my grades were all over the place. I knew I wanted to do something like what this masters entails. So I decided to do my dissertation on all that lark, specifically on machine learning algorithms. Completely unfamiliar territory. I put insane hours into it, and eventually it turned out alright. But my other grades suffered. I came out with a mid-high 2:1.

I'm fairly certain I got onto this masters on the merit of my second year grades, and very kind references. The problem that then leaves me with, though, is funding. It looks like the very few funding opportunities going are kind of based on academic merit, and on paper, it doesn't look great for me. I'm pretty much resigned at this point to just getting a loan and biting the bullet. I can't see me being put forth for the 1+3 ESRC studentship. It sounds very, very competitive.

So my question, I guess, is to people who have actually gotten career development loans, or that know people who have. Specifically, the immediate aftermath. Even more specifically, for going onto a PhD afterwards. I absolutely intend to crush this degree (for 9 bloody grand, I'm getting my money's worth!) but...Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'm going to have to take a year out before doing a PhD to pay off at least some of this loan? I'd really rather not.

EDIT: I should say, also, I do plan on saving as much money as possible in the next 9 months, but I'm not as optimistic as I could be. Getting the Christmas temp job I have was a struggle (turns out a mediocre humanities degree ISN'T employability gold. who knew?) and I'm not as optimistic as I could be that I'll be employed for the rest of the time I have. If I did do so, I would still imagine that the best I could hope for is to maybe cover half of my tuition.

I also meant to mention that I live near enough to UCL that I can commute (it's not ideal, but it's workable) so covering things like rent and utilities isn't too much of an issue either!

I took out a CDL for my masters and then went on to do a PhD - depending on if the PhD is funded you will be able to pay it off your loan while studying and not have a need to take a year out. If you on't get a funded PhD then you will have to consider your options in relation to paying the loan off. When I called up my CDL provided (The CoOp) to just see what my options were (as I'm speeding up the repayments) they actually stated that because I've got onto further education they could a) reduce my monthly repayments b) give me a "payment holiday". There are loads of options to choose from.
Original post by MGS
I took out a CDL for my masters and then went on to do a PhD - depending on if the PhD is funded you will be able to pay it off your loan while studying and not have a need to take a year out. If you on't get a funded PhD then you will have to consider your options in relation to paying the loan off. When I called up my CDL provided (The CoOp) to just see what my options were (as I'm speeding up the repayments) they actually stated that because I've got onto further education they could a) reduce my monthly repayments b) give me a "payment holiday". There are loads of options to choose from.

ahhh well that sounds very encouraging! there seems to be lots of PhD funding at UCL, in a bunch of areas that I would LOVE to go into, so I'm optimistic about finding a funded PhD! the possibility of stretching out payments via "payment holidays" or reduced repayments sounds very positive as well. thanks for the info!! I appreciate it! :biggrin:
Reply 705
Original post by Pippaaa

am i right in understanding that AHRC provides 6 law PPM studentships, and an individual applies for the postgrad course at a BGP institution, and then applies to the institution to be considered for AHRC PPM funding, and the institution then shortlists and nominates candidates, and the AHRC then issues out up to 6 PPM studentships to some of those shortlisted candidates? i.e. that the candidates can attend ANY BGP institution, and that it is not a case of 6 studentships attached to specific institutions?

It means you can only apply for the PPM studentships at the university/universities that have the funding. It is NOT an open competition where everyone applying/has an offer for a Law MA then applies to try and get one of the 6 studentships.

Master's funding is few and far between so you really need the attitude of self funding or if you really want the hassle of a CDL, a CDL.
Reply 706
I am so lost when it comes to funding. I want to do a PhD in immunology - this is only a recent decision of mine so I'm still in the process of learning the in and outs of what a postdoc entails.

I was told by a current PhD student that when a PhD program is advertised the supervisor has submitted a proposal to a funding body asking for money for a PhD student - and if successful then the PhD program is advertised, and as a result most PhD programs have funding attached to it. I wanted to know the scope of this funding, does it cover tuition fees? living costs? Where could I find this information as most unis are brief when it comes to funding.

I have found a PhD program on findaphd.com and it contains a EU funding key i.e. "Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. It is available citizens of a number of European countries (including the UK). In most cases this will include all EU nationals. However full funding may not be available to all applicants and you should read the full programme details for further information." does this mean that if a potential student got accepted into that course then all fees will be covered? Does that include a stipend?

How does MRC funding work? UCL state they that there ""Centre offers 4 year PhD programme MRC-funded "From Bench to Bedside" studentships"". Does this mean while you undertake UCL's PhD course you will have to choose rotations/projects etc. dictated by the MRC as a result of them funding you? Would this MRC programme differ much from the standard program. Is this funding automatic or must you compete against others for it; as UCL states "MRC studentship, usually 2–3 each year".

Lets say a uni does not have funding or does not offer a MRC type programme, would that mean I would have to locate and contact funding bodies and make a plea to why they should fund me? Would I do this by contacting them directly or would I have to search for the PhD studentships on Jobs.ac.uk. Other note, what do these Studentships cover: tuition fees? living allowance? stipend?

I know there is a lot of questions, but if you could give some advice that would be great.

Thanks.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/studentregistry/fees/funding/awards/index.html

Although administered by Uni of Cambridge, it looks like most of these travelling scholarships (ie. for research overseas in the middle of a UK postgrad) appear to be open to those at any other UK Uni, and some are open to Commonwealth applicants.
Original post by donatodc

Hi There!! My name is Donato Di Carlo, I' m an italian student and I would like to apply for The London School of Economics next year for a MSC . Could someone explain me how the student loans work and when do I have to apply for them ??
more precisely, my question is:

I CANNOT ATTEND THE LSE, BUT IF I AM GOING TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP OR A STUDENT LOAN I COULD DO IT, but I can' t understand what is the procedure, Do I have to apply for LSE first and wait for an offer from it and then apply for a student loan ??

thank you in advance
Peace

I have no idea how loans works in Italy. But for LSE, you can apply for their financial support schemes at the same time as applying :smile:
You know, you wonder what you need to do to get on in this country. Always has to be about money, all the time and it really really pi**es me right off!! Most post grad degree require a higher level of research regardless of whether it's taught or research based but has this government cottoned on to that? No. You still have to go to uni again to learn all the skills so you can be a useful member of the workforce, which is I assume what they want of the uk workforce in the future? However, you get next to no support to do so. I've just done the BSc in Psychology which was mostly all research based as Psychology as a science, by nature changes at a faster rate than other subjects purely because researchers keep discovering new things about the human mind and functioning. Therefore every year there are hundreds of articles and journals on repeat studies which made up practically all our reading lists. I wondered what the nature of study in Psychology would be like at post graduate level but I can see it will be as much research based as anything else. This put me off as of course you arrive at the arguments outlined in this thread about financing huge research projects. But why shouldn't you do these projects? What irritates me even more is that after studying Psychology, you know that you're just as qualified as researchers who've done a few other projects as the research questions you may design are just as valid as any they may create. You may have had an idea that no one else has and any project that is born from your idea will bring something new to the field in a way. However, as I say, people struggle with the practicalities of research so respect scientific fields suffer. Really disappointing.
Reply 710
Is Psychology not funded as part of BBSRC?
Original post by T0p Cat
Is Psychology not funded as part of BBSRC?

And ESRC and I think the MRC touch on some aspects too...
Reply 712
There definitely is funding out there for psychology PhDs, mostly from ESRC DTCs (maybe more neuro orientated topics are BBSRC). I'm not quite sure what angrygraduate is so angry about. Sure, there is strong competition to win funding but we all know that (or should know that) before applying.
Original post by Bluth.
There definitely is funding out there for psychology PhDs, mostly from ESRC DTCs (maybe more neuro orientated topics are BBSRC). I'm not quite sure what angrygraduate is so angry about. Sure, there is strong competition to win funding but we all know that (or should know that) before applying.

... and how many projects are you waiting for funding for? Yes there is strong competition which brings me to the point I was clearly making in my piece. Competition is a particular barrier in the pursuit of knowledge regarding Psychology and it should not be down to a selection panel to judge which research projects get funding and which don't. Huge areas of Psychology are still left unexplored, the effects of self-actualization on personality measurement for one which would need to be studied using 1000+ subjects in order to reach suitable validity levels. Although, some may wait until it's accepted by a panel but some may ignore all the restrictions and fund it themselves if they believe it's good enough. Incidentally some of the best pieces of research i've read about were self funded.
Reply 714
Original post by angrygraduate
... and how many projects are you waiting for funding for?

My PhD application, why?

Original post by angrygraduate
Yes there is strong competition which brings me to the point I was clearly making in my piece. Competition is a particular barrier in the pursuit of knowledge regarding Psychology and it should not be down to a selection panel to judge which research projects get funding and which don't. Huge areas of Psychology are still left unexplored, the effects of self-actualization on personality measurement for one which would need to be studied using 1000+ subjects in order to reach suitable validity levels. Although, some may wait until it's accepted by a panel but some may ignore all the restrictions and fund it themselves if they believe it's good enough. Incidentally some of the best pieces of research i've read about were self funded.

What is your proposed alternative?

Everyone has to fight for funds, at all stages of academia. If you are unable to convince people that you ideas are worth investing in then you need to either develop that skill, find a more marketable topic, or self fund.

(research doesn't have to be government funded, by the way. It is unusual, but not unheard of, to be funded by charities, companies, private benefactors or even to crowdsource. Obviously you still need the backing/permission of the institution you are carrying out the research with.)
(edited 11 years ago)
I sure that in a recession the 'let's just give everyone money and see who sinks' approach would be hugely popular.
Hello.

I am applying to the University of York to study a PhD in Medieval History under Mark Ormrod.

This isn't my first time I've tried for the AHRC, and it will be my last attempt. If I fail (again), I shall be pursuing a career in the RAF.

This is my last and best chance, as Mark took a special interest in my application for funding and helped me with my proposal. Nothing is guaranteed, of course. Mark is, however, a pretty big fish in this particular pond. Nevertheless, given that there are only 4 AHRC PhD scholarships allocated to the History department, and probably dozens... even hundreds of extremely well qualified applicants, I'm definitely not counting my chickens before they hatch! And I still have over a month to wait before I find out... going crazy!

I haven't read the previous posts (sorry). Is there anyone else in a similar situation - probably a stupid question.

Anyone else applying to York? Anyone going for a History PhD at York? Anybody else going nuts with the waiting?
Reply 717
Just got my AHRC doctoral scholarship rejection... :frown:
Original post by hatred
Just got my AHRC doctoral scholarship rejection... :frown:

Oh! I'm so sorry.

There are still lots of opportunities out there. You have many options.

Will you try again next year? Where did you apply? What in?
Reply 719
Hi! Another (sort of) Medievalist hopeful here - eventually, anyway. I'm interested in High and Late Medieval literature and culture in general, textual history in particular, and medievalism (esp. literary antiquarianism) in the long eighteenth-century.

Best of luck with your application. : ) I've applied for MA Medieval literatures at York (I have course offers from York and UCL, still waiting on Oxford and Bristol), and am on the reserve list for AHRC MA funding, although in reality I have very little hope that I will actually get it. I wish I could ask where I am on the list, or at least when I should realistically assume for certain that I don't have it... I'm not sure it would be okay to ask that, though.

I haven't heard anything at all about funding from UCL yet - they usually interview, I think - and I'm going to have to reply to their offer in the next week or so (they only give you four weeks to decide...).

Original post by Drunk In Time!
Hello.

I am applying to the University of York to study a PhD in Medieval History under Mark Ormrod.

This isn't my first time I've tried for the AHRC, and it will be my last attempt. If I fail (again), I shall be pursuing a career in the RAF.

This is my last and best chance, as Mark took a special interest in my application for funding and helped me with my proposal. Nothing is guaranteed, of course. Mark is, however, a pretty big fish in this particular pond. Nevertheless, given that there are only 4 AHRC PhD scholarships allocated to the History department, and probably dozens... even hundreds of extremely well qualified applicants, I'm definitely not counting my chickens before they hatch! And I still have over a month to wait before I find out... going crazy!

I haven't read the previous posts (sorry). Is there anyone else in a similar situation - probably a stupid question.

Anyone else applying to York? Anyone going for a History PhD at York? Anybody else going nuts with the waiting?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending