The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by lizzyweb123
I was looking to do cognitive behaviour therapy or cog and neuro science.

Yes, a masters would be essential for that. Also seeing how incredibly generic undergraduate degrees are in the UK, I think it's awful that it's so difficult to get funding. :frown:
Reply 781
I don't know if anyone here is waiting for LSE PhD funding, but decisions will be out on Friday. Good luck to everyone that is waiting!
Hello!!

i have a problem! Help!

i have been offered a particularly coveted place at the Institute of Psychiatry (Clinical Forensic Psych MSc) yet I am poor and need fuuuuuunding!!

I have been frantically researching funding options since I got the offer on Monday and I think I am going to have to sell some heirlooms.

Is it cheeky to ask what exactly are these research councils and how do you qualify for them?! I would think that a Clinical Forensic MSc research project is worth funding right? What are the requirements exactly to get funding from these councils?

Also I am only living in London 2 years (from Ireland) come August so my credit rating is like a teenagers, also the PCDL is out for me :frown:

I am at a loss, seems so unfair.
Original post by ellemarybrown
Hello!!

i have a problem! Help!

i have been offered a particularly coveted place at the Institute of Psychiatry (Clinical Forensic Psych MSc) yet I am poor and need fuuuuuunding!!

I have been frantically researching funding options since I got the offer on Monday and I think I am going to have to sell some heirlooms.

Is it cheeky to ask what exactly are these research councils and how do you qualify for them?! I would think that a Clinical Forensic MSc research project is worth funding right? What are the requirements exactly to get funding from these councils?

Also I am only living in London 2 years (from Ireland) come August so my credit rating is like a teenagers, also the PCDL is out for me :frown:

The Research Councils are just councils that fund research (as the name implies :tongue: ). In order to qualify for a full award (fees + maintenance) you need to be either a British citizen or an EU citizen who has lived in the UK for 3 years PRIOR to the application. If you are an EU citizen who does not meet the residency requirement above, you can only qualify for a fees only award. In any case, you are automatically considered for these awards from your faculty if you apply for a specific deadline (normally this is either January, February or in some rare cases March). In other words, if you have not been offered an award then either you did not apply in time and you weren't even considered or you were considered and did not win. It is too late now to 'apply' for a RC award.
Hello!!

i have a problem! Help!

Sell the heirlooms, most people have let go of stuff they wanted to keep for the sake of fees but no other way unfortunately. Also as you're doing an MSc you may have problems but if you did an MRes you may be in a better position? No courses you could do which are on this path?
Thanks for advice guys. :smile:

Yea this is actually the course I really want. I applied to 4 (in London as I don't really have the means to move again) and got them all, but my first choice is twice the price as the others. I'm going with it though because its caused me a lot of heartache and stress to get to this point!! I didn't think I'd even get my first choice and now that I have I feel like I just have to do whatever it takes to pay the fees!

Heirlooms will have to go I guess! And everything else I own probably! :s-smilie:
Reply 786
Thanks for advice guys. :smile:

Yea this is actually the course I really want. I applied to 4 (in London as I don't really have the means to move again) and got them all, but my first choice is twice the price as the others. I'm going with it though because its caused me a lot of heartache and stress to get to this point!! I didn't think I'd even get my first choice and now that I have I feel like I just have to do whatever it takes to pay the fees!

Heirlooms will have to go I guess! And everything else I own probably! :s-smilie:

Could you go part time and work alongside it?
Yes it is something I thought about when I stared applying in January but I am 28 in August and feel like I don't wanna drag this process out any longer than it has to be but now that you mention it maybe changing to part time would be more practical finance-wise.

I just feel strongly that I want it completed sooner, so I can do my PhD sooner...considering my other life goals ( like having a family hopefully before risk sets in due to prospectve shrivelled up ovaries!!)

i will be working alongside my MSc regardless anyway, it will be tough but necessary!

With selling the heirlooms and getting a loan I'll survive a year!
Hey!

Has anyone here applied for the funded places offered by the Scottish Funding Council? I applied and was notified in June that I am a reserve candidate so in the event that someone drops out or declines their offer, I can get my tuition fees paid. Sitting here crossing my fingers hoping someone might decline theirs but can't see it happening! Any one been in a similar position?
I went for the Career Development Loan option - not ideal, but it'll get me through my MA! Just had a text from the Co-op to say they received my application and will let me know within 15 days.

Plan B is to apply to Barclays.

I'm worrying I might need a Plan C - I applied to as many of the Alternative Funding Guide sources as I could and so far haven't been successful with any (~40 letters/applications sent in Dec/Jan, only about 6 replies so far).

Going part time and working alongside uni seems a good choice, but I've got long-term health problems and worry that I'll get worse and either fall behind with uni or lose my job - that's if I can find a suitable job to do alongside studying!
hi,

im (hoping) to do a straight phd or masters & phd in immunology or molecular cell biology. I've completed year 2 with 66% (not great i know, but there is a load of extenuating circumstances which seem to be getting better & im predicted a 1st overall :smile: )

and i was looking at canada to do a masters. am i right in thinking that a supervisor finds the money for your stipend to fund your study? i found this but its just so confusing/lack of sleep makes it confusing

thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 791
Original post by good morning
hi,

im (hoping) to do a straight phd or masters & phd in immunology or molecular cell biology. I've completed year 2 with 66% (not great i know, but there is a load of extenuating circumstances which seem to be getting better & im predicted a 1st overall :smile: )

and i was looking at canada to do a masters. am i right in thinking that a supervisor finds the money for your stipend to fund your study? i found this but its just so confusing/lack of sleep makes it confusing

Only thing I'd suggest is checking the residency requirements for US and Canadian funding. It's not usually open to just anyone... Although Canada probably isn't as tight as the US is with residency issues maybe?
hi,

In science, often your lab/supervisor often has a chunk of funding and then they allocate it as they see fit. For Master's level, though - it might work more like is does in the humanities where it's done on a departmental level. In any case - Canada is definitely the place to look for Master's funding - there is a lot available, unlike in the US.

For PhD, it's a bit more complicated as some Canadian universities impose limits on the numbers of international students they fund (Toronto is one); it's a lot better in the sciences than the humanities, though - but it's something to be aware of. In the US, as a science student, you'll be fine for funding pretty much anywhere at the PhD level.

Edit: looks like that department has a comprehensive funding system in place - so everyone admitted basically gets the same funding.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by madamemerle
In science, often your lab/supervisor often has a chunk of funding and then they allocate it as they see fit. For Master's level, though - it might work more like is does in the humanities where it's done on a departmental level. In any case - Canada is definitely the place to look for Master's funding - there is a lot available, unlike in the US.

For PhD, it's a bit more complicated as some Canadian universities impose limits on the numbers of international students they fund (Toronto is one); it's a lot better in the sciences than the humanities, though - but it's something to be aware of. In the US, as a science student, you'll be fine for funding pretty much anywhere at the PhD level.

Edit: looks like that department has a comprehensive funding system in place - so everyone admitted basically gets the same funding.

Thank you so much for a good reply! So if I were to do a master's in canada and a PhD in USA is (hopefully) get it funded? Best renew my passport!
Thank you so much for a good reply! So if I were to do a master's in canada and a PhD in USA is (hopefully) get it funded? Best renew my passport!

If you know you want to do a PhD, then you could just apply straight to the US as most US programs don't require a Master's degree (it's earned en route, or sometimes not at all). You'd need an exceptional research plan and to have a lot of research experience, though, which I know is a lot harder to get in the UK as an undergraduate than it is in the US.
Hello all!

I have a place on a masters course, and am having SERIOUS funding issues.

I am confident that I can save 7k inbetween now and the start of the course in September 2014, however I am not eligible for almost any grant out there, and as I work abroad for approx 300 days a year, I am classed as an expat in the eyes of all lenders, so there are no loans available.

I have spoken to almost every possible bank/lender, the student finance office and earth sciences department at uni, various national government officials, and city + county council members, whom all have said the same: I am not eligible for funding or a loan.

With grants, family support, and loans ruled out, could anyone suggest any alternative funding sources?

Thanks in advance!
only in the very early stages of THINKING about funding for the postgraduate course I want to do after I finish my finals this year (currently studying history at Oxford, have my heart set on the MPhil in archaeology at Cambridge) but reading this thread has made me so scared! :eek: Also didn't realise how much more likely I was to get AHRC funding if I get a first...eep. Motivation to work hard this year!
Reply 797
Hi, I am applying to UK universities from the US for a PhD. I've heard that funding is pretty limited, so I'm trying to apply to a lot of places to up my chances of getting funded. Are there places that notoriously do not fund international students? I'm currently only applying to universities that have supervisors that have shown an interest in my ideas, which has narrowed it down to 6. I'm just not sure if I have a better chance of being funded at one place over another. Any thoughts?
Reply 798
Original post by flywithemma
only in the very early stages of THINKING about funding for the postgraduate course I want to do after I finish my finals this year (currently studying history at Oxford, have my heart set on the MPhil in archaeology at Cambridge) but reading this thread has made me so scared! :eek: Also didn't realise how much more likely I was to get AHRC funding if I get a first...eep. Motivation to work hard this year!

Just remember that even with a first, the chances are still low. Funding in the Arts is very limited and not all departments/courses have funding...

Original post by katiegud
Hi, I am applying to UK universities from the US for a PhD. I've heard that funding is pretty limited, so I'm trying to apply to a lot of places to up my chances of getting funded. Are there places that notoriously do not fund international students? I'm currently only applying to universities that have supervisors that have shown an interest in my ideas, which has narrowed it down to 6. I'm just not sure if I have a better chance of being funded at one place over another. Any thoughts?

What subject? As that'll have a huge impact. You won't qualify for the research councils because of residency/nationality requirements so look for universities that offer their own funding.
Reply 799
Original post by apotoftea

What subject? As that'll have a huge impact. You won't qualify for the research councils because of residency/nationality requirements so look for universities that offer their own funding.

I'm in social sciences. My topic falls under politics or sociology depending on the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending