The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

apotoftea
Because there are issues about going back (on both sides, not just me :wink:) and urghh wish the temptation wasn't there as I know just how stupid it would be to ignore it. :o: :s-smilie:

I'd kinda ruled it out big time. Bah. :woo:

Given how much you miss the place though, surely it's an opportunity to at least have a backup option where you know you'd be happy? I know it's always a bit weird contemplating going back, but I can only see that the chance of applying for funding back there would be a good thing for you :dontknow:
Reply 81
IlexAquifolium
Given how much you miss the place though, surely it's an opportunity to at least have a backup option where you know you'd be happy? I know it's always a bit weird contemplating going back, but I can only see that the chance of applying for funding back there would be a good thing for you :dontknow:

I know but the negatives however much I miss and love it, outweigh the positives big time. Just an absolute bugger that the three positives are the three most important. But factor in the negatives and it all changes unfortunately.

Confused.com
What negatives are there? (sorry I dont know your background)
Reply 83
FadedJade
What negatives are there? (sorry I dont know your background)

- Would mean living at home as even with funding, rent in university city is SKY high. Wouldn't get PG accommodation either.

- Commute to sources is a pain so would have to consider staying up there (do-able but a damn sight easier from other locations)

- Don't particularly get on the person who would be second supervisor

- University doesn't really have a postgrad support network & I'd be one of the youngest PhD students there by about 20 years!

And a couple of other negatives which I'm keeping off the forum :smile:
Reply 84
Hi, I hope someone can help.

I'm currently in 2nd year genetics, living in Northern Ireland.

I wanted to do medicine as a second degree, but I was looking at a career devolpment loan and it says £10,000 is the maximum?! I'd need at least £16,000 for fees alone.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do?
Medicine is funded as a second degree by the SLC - it's exempt from the usual funding rules.
How do i apply for ESRC funding? Do i have to apply specifically or do i just tick some box on the university application form? I know all the Masters I am applying for are recognized. Thanks for any help.
Rob L
How do i apply for ESRC funding? Do i have to apply specifically or do i just tick some box on the university application form? I know all the Masters I am applying for are recognized. Thanks for any help.

Depends on the unis you're applying to - generally there's a box on the form asking how you plan to fund it and you write something in about applying to the ESRC. I'd contact the department, though, because they may ask you to submit additional material to them.
There should be a box to tick on the application form. Depending on the uni, you may need to send in a separate application form later for research council funding.
A hypothetical situation that concerns me:
i) Both Oxford and RHUL make me an offer.
ii) I choose Oxford for prestige reasons.
iii) Oxford can't provide me with any fundingzzzz.
iv) RHUL could have done so.

(Obviously I'd never actually know number four to be true, but nevertheless...)

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting people to say to this. But do similar hypotheticals bother anyone else? Is there any way to avert this situation (other than the obvious)?
Bread and Circlejerks
A hypothetical situation that concerns me:
i) Both Oxford and RHUL make me an offer.
ii) I choose Oxford for prestige reasons.
iii) Oxford can't provide me with any fundingzzzz.
iv) RHUL could have done so.

(Obviously I'd never actually know number four to be true, but nevertheless...)

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting people to say to this. But do similar hypotheticals bother anyone else? Is there any way to avert this situation (other than the obvious)?

At i), you accept both offers and wait on the funding decisions. The difficult bit comes if RHUL offers you funding and Oxford says 'nah, we're not going to tell you anything until the day before the J-eS deadline'. Then you have to decide between certain money and possible money. Most people take the former.
I can accept both offers and wait? I did not even know that...

Thank you very much. That has really put my mind at ease. (Since in the situation that you throw up, I would choose DEFINITE MONEY without hesitation.)
Bread and Circlejerks

Thank you very much. That has really put my mind at ease. (Since in the situation that you throw up, I would choose DEFINITE MONEY without hesitation.)

mmm DEFINITE MONEY :drool:
Not theoretical, abstract, intentional, fictive, contingent, modal or conditional.

DEFINITE MONEY.
Bread and Circlejerks

Yes, definitely. They may ask for a deposit if you're a non UK student, but that's the only sticking point, really (although if you're going for AHRC I'm guessing that doesn't apply). So it's normal for people to accept a few offers and wait on the funding situation, before calling up the other universities and saying you can't attend because you can't afford it. It happens often so they shouldn't make a fuss over it.
IlexAquifolium
Yes, definitely. They may ask for a deposit if you're a non UK student, but that's the only sticking point, really (although if you're going for AHRC I'm guessing that doesn't apply). So it's normal for people to accept a few offers and wait on the funding situation, before calling up the other universities and saying you can't attend because you can't afford it. It happens often so they shouldn't make a fuss over it.

Thanks very much: that's great. Just a quick extra question, though: if both places offer me funding and I choose to reject RHUL, then will they be more likely in that scenario to get uppity? Since they will know that I have no financial issues, and it'll make it seem as though I considered them as a kind of back-up. I guess ultimately there's not a whole lot that they can do materially, but I'd just feel like a bit of a jerk rejecting them with a lame "something suddenly came up!"-type explanation.
Bread and Circlejerks
Thanks very much: that's great. Just a quick extra question, though: if both places offer me funding and I choose to reject RHUL, then will they be more likely in that scenario to get uppity? Since they will know that I have no financial issues, and it'll make it seem as though I considered them as a kind of back-up. I guess ultimately there's not a whole lot that they can do materially, but I'd just feel like a bit of a jerk rejecting them with a lame "something suddenly came up!"-type explanation.

Yes, in that scenario they will probably be Not Pleased since they will have told other good candidates that they're not funded, and they will probably then have buggered off elsewhere so they may not have a b-plan. Technically until you submit the J-eS you can reject an offer of funding that you've previously accepted in favour of another offer, but I really, really wouldn't recommend it. Genereally speaking though the early offers will then start investing time in you to work on your J-eS submission straight away and will try to submit it early, so pulling out before it's submitted is just really rude, and pulling out after means that you can't then take up funding elsewhere since you can only make one submission to the AHRC.
Reply 97
Bread and Circlejerks

I can tell you now that you'll know from Oxford re: funding a good 3 months before RHUL if this year is anything to go by :rolleyes: You can only accept one though and have one JeS application form.

Who are you hoping to work with at RHUL?
RHUL amuses me when it comes to AHRC nominations. I didn't find out I had been nominated until the first week of July, hadn't heard anything since the March deadline.
Reply 99
tigermoth99
RHUL amuses me when it comes to AHRC nominations. I didn't find out I had been nominated until the first week of July, hadn't heard anything since the March deadline.

Yeah! It was July wasn't it? :rolleyes:

Hope for prospective students' sake next year, they'll have a better system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending