The Student Room Group

Applying for French at University?

Hello, i'm thinking of studying French with History/Politics at university. Looking for any advice from anyone!
Particularly about French... i'm less interested in the literature side of things, more in politics/history/society side of things i guess... so can anyone suggest particular French courses that might suit me in that respect?
Been to Warwick, York and Kent, thought they were really good. Also visited Leicester, UEA - they were alright. Any further recommendations would be great!?
Got French A, History B and English Literature B in AS.
Also not sure about what degree to actually take.. Interested in History and the kind of European/International Relations stuff.. of course French, although i have a slight confidence issue with French.. so difficult to decide.. any advice would be brilliant?!
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Most unis list the modules available, so make sure your choices are flexible enough to allow you to concentrate on history/politics etc rather than pure lit. I know UCL allows you to choose which 'track' you take with various options (can't remember off hand, it's on their website) such as politics, economics, history and lit and Sheffield is also very flexible with a wide range of options. Others are very literature heavy though, eg Oxford.
Even with just a language degree you'd cover history, but obviously you'd do more of it with joint honours. St Andrews do a fantastic languages and international relations combined course, and I like the look of Bath's European Studies and Modern Languages course. My friend is doing French and History joint honours, and she loves Durham and Exeter. Besides that, it's just a matter of looking at lots of courses (UCAS course search is a good way of zipping through them) and seeing which suit you. Good luck :smile:
take a look at Southampton...we have great departments here. I'd say more, but I've already whacked the gin out, and it's got my full attention :wink:
Reply 3
Thanks people. :smile: Got the prospectuses for Exeter, Bath and Southampton and they all look good, might try and visit one in the next couple of weeks.
Yes what I meant to say about Southampton is that there are no compulsory literature modules...or any other modules for that matter. So you can stick entirely to the social/cultural modules if you wished...I've got this far sans literature, and I'm bloody well going to keep it that way! :smile:
Check out Modern European Studies at Nottingham. I loved Nottingham and have applied for the MES course!
Reply 6
himynameismike
Check out Modern European Studies at Nottingham. I loved Nottingham and have applied for the MES course!

That was one of my favourites that I looked at :yes:
Two languages + history/politics = heaven!
Reply 7
Ok cool, thanks.
Went to the European Studies talk at Essex, and it was just me and 3 other people. The bloke was a nice guy but it seemed too vague and unorganised to me.. :s-smilie: Although i'm not saying that all European Studies is like that..!
As well as the course, i'm being quite picky about where i'm going - so that limits me even further! :s-smilie: Already looked at the stuff for Nottingham, but kinda wrote that off to be honest..!
Is there anyone doing the 'Contemporary Europe' course at Southampton?? That looks like it might be quite cool.
Reply 8
Manchester offers ESML so that includes one or two languages and Politics/History :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending