The Student Room Group

The Field Hockey Society

I didn't see a thread for this already but if one exists then please lock this one and provide me with a link to the existing one.

Anyway, this is a thread dedicated to the great sport that is field hockey! So if you play it at any level then come on in and have a chat with fellow players of the game.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh come on, I can't be the only one who plays field hockey here can I?
Reply 2
I play for indian gymkhana - ladies seconds. New team, so lowest division - middlesex. Enjoying it though, especially when we won 11- 1 last wk. Another match tmo. want to play it at uni next year hopefully.
What team and level do you play for / at?
Reply 3
I am a huge field hockey player, field hockey runs my life!
I play for Buckingham Ladies (res) GK and for Bucks
Reply 4
Atherilia
I am a huge field hockey player, field hockey runs my life!
I play for Buckingham Ladies (res) GK and for Bucks
Bucks as in Buckinghamshire or Bucks as in Team Bath Buccaneers? I play for the latter and they are referred to as Buccs.
I play for my school Second XI player as only started playing 13 months ago.

I was going to join the local side but never got round to it.

I don't really have a set position as get put all over the place, I have now for example played in: Left wing, right wing, left back, right back and centre back.

I usually play better at the back and enjoyed playing centre back most of all which was a couple of weeks ago when I had to play for the opposition as they had two few players.
Reply 6
Al_Funcoot
Bucks as in Buckinghamshire or Bucks as in Team Bath Buccaneers? I play for the latter and they are referred to as Buccs.

Buckinghamshire.
I have a friend who plays for Bath :h:
Reply 7
Atherilia
Buckinghamshire.
I have a friend who plays for Bath :h:
City of Bath or Team Bath Buccaneers? I'm gonna go with the latter as it's where everybody seems to go these days. Not a bad club, I'd like it more if it wasn't full of Bath Uni ***** and if it didn't have that ridiculous name.
Reply 8
Al_Funcoot
City of Bath or Team Bath Buccaneers? I'm gonna go with the latter as it's where everybody seems to go these days. Not a bad club, I'd like it more if it wasn't full of Bath Uni ***** and if it didn't have that ridiculous name.

Yer they play for team B B. What position does everyone play?
Reply 9
Atherilia
Yer they play for team B B. What position does everyone play?
I'm a utility player, the only position on a hockey pitch I haven't filled is goalkeeper and I'm quite glad of it!

Usually though I play in defence as my atrocious stick skills rule me out of playing further up the field. Give me a yard of space and I can pass the ball pretty well but I couldn't beat a player in a one-on-one if my life depended on it.

Where do you play?
Reply 10
Al_Funcoot
I'm a utility player, the only position on a hockey pitch I haven't filled is goalkeeper and I'm quite glad of it!

Usually though I play in defence as my atrocious stick skills rule me out of playing further up the field. Give me a yard of space and I can pass the ball pretty well but I couldn't beat a player in a one-on-one if my life depended on it.

Where do you play?

The same with my ball carrying skills, keeps me a defender, though I am mainly a Goalkepper
Reply 11
Atherilia
The same with my ball carrying skills, keeps me a defender, though I am mainly a Goalkepper
Goalie and defenders are the most unappreciated positions on a hockey pitch, bloody strikers and midfielders stealing our glory!
Reply 12
Al_Funcoot
Goalie and defenders are the most unappreciated positions on a hockey pitch, bloody strikers and midfielders stealing our glory!
tell me about it, i mean tey would not have the ball if it were not for us. And striking s so overrated as posiion to play
bitterness here at all? :P

I prefer defence to attack to be honest.:biggrin:
Reply 14
Atherilia
tell me about it, i mean tey would not have the ball if it were not for us. And striking s so overrated as posiion to play
Most strikers are greedy showboating gits anyway. Nothing gives you greater satisfaction then stealing the ball off someone with an inflated view of their abilities, or managing to thread through an impossible pass :biggrin:

What level do you play at now? Club level obviously but are you at uni/college?
Reply 15
Al_Funcoot
Most strikers are greedy showboating gits anyway. Nothing gives you greater satisfaction then stealing the ball off someone with an inflated view of their abilities, or managing to thread through an impossible pass :biggrin:

What level do you play at now? Club level obviously but are you at uni/college?

nah, Club and County for both outfield and in goal
Serious question, and I don't mean to make fun of anyone but, do guys actually play field hockey in the UK? In the States, field hockey is almost strictly reserved for females. A guy would seriously get made fun of here if he said he played field hockey.
Baltimoron
Serious question, and I don't mean to make fun of anyone but, do guys actually play field hockey in the UK? In the States, field hockey is almost strictly reserved for females. A guy would seriously get made fun of here if he said he played field hockey.

Yes, they do play over here.
Reply 18
men playing hockey is like art. Not to mention hot!
Reply 19
Baltimoron
Mate Field Hockey is a ****ing hard sport to get good at.

Quick Reply

Latest