The Student Room Group

The Field Hockey Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arianto
Greetings, new to this group...

So do some/most of you play for a club/uni?

In my final year of highschool, play for my clubs 2s/3s, yet strangely haven't ever watched a hockey game on TV :colondollar:

I play for my university team. 3rd XI as I'm the worst player on the squad (maybe someone worse will join this year but I don't care about being the worst really, I play as I enjoy it).

It'sfine to have never watched a game as it is rarely on TV. I think Eurosport have some EHL (Euro) matches and apart from that it's really just big events occasionally on like the recent Euro Championships (on BBC red button and online) and the Olympics/Commonwealth.

What position do you play?

Original post by Atherilia
Chloe Rogers and Anna Bennet are coming to my club day tomorrow, excited :smile: :woo:

I just had to look them both up. I could potentially go and watch Rogers as I go to the University of Leicester.

Were they interesting to meet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 201
Original post by Arianto
Greetings, new to this group...

So do some/most of you play for a club/uni?

In my final year of highschool, play for my clubs 2s/3s, yet strangely haven't ever watched a hockey game on TV :colondollar:

Hello there :biggrin:
I play for school, club and county/region

Hockey on TV is awesome when ever it is one, most of the time though it requires to be streamed through the internet.

SirMasterKey
I just had to look them both up. I could potentially go and watch Rogers as I go to the University of Leicester.

Were they interesting to meet?

They were brilliant to meet, had a right laugh with them, and got some amazing coaching tips :smile:. If you have a chance to go watch Prem League hockey do, it is brilliant stuff
Reply 202
Original post by SirMasterKey
I play for my university team. 3rd XI as I'm the worst player on the squad (maybe someone worse will join this year but I don't care about being the worst really, I play as I enjoy it).

It'sfine to have never watched a game as it is rarely on TV. I think Eurosport have some EHL (Euro) matches and apart from that it's really just big events occasionally on like the recent Euro Championships (on BBC red button and online) and the Olympics/Commonwealth.

What position do you play?

I usually play winger or up front, I'm relatively inexperienced compared to some of the old hands that are at my club (one of them said they'd been playing hockey for 40 years)
I sometimes play full-back, and I suppose my preferred or traditional position when I'm playing for my school is centre-back. Though that's only because there aren't any bigger defenders at my school, and I'm only 5 7"...

What position you play at?

Cheerz for info, might get round to watching it online when I have some spare time.

Oh how I love spare time nowadays :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 203

Hockey on TV is awesome when ever it is one, most of the time though it requires to be streamed through the internet.

Wow your region has a team? The XXXX All-Stars or somethin?

I'm waiting eagerly in anticipation for the 2012 olympics... the interweb is a marvellous window to indulgence in the meantime though.

They were brilliant to meet, had a right laugh with them, and got some amazing coaching tips :smile:. If you have a chance to go watch Prem League hockey do, it is brilliant stuff

I will try to this year as I recently learned where they ground was just through looking umpiring which I'm taking up this year.

Original post by Arianto
I usually play winger or up front, I'm relatively inexperienced compared to some of the old hands that are at my club (one of them said they'd been playing hockey for 40 years)
I sometimes play full-back, and I suppose my preferred or traditional position when I'm playing for my school is centre-back. Though that's only because there aren't any bigger defenders at my school, and I'm only 5 7"...

What position you play at?

Cheerz for info, might get round to watching it online when I have some spare time.

Oh how I love spare time nowadays :rolleyes:

My proper position is unknown as I have played in almost all the outfield positions now. I tend to be put where there is a gap. If I could hit the ball properly I would enjoy being up front more however when there I'm mainly thereto draw defenders away. My favourite game was probably the game in sixth form when I got put on the other team and played centre back. Only got out of breath when my and the left-back switched as he was tired.
Reply 205
Original post by Arianto
Wow your region has a team? The XXXX All-Stars or somethin?

I'm waiting eagerly in anticipation for the 2012 olympics... the interweb is a marvellous window to indulgence in the meantime though.

I am playing for Oxford Lynx at the moment a mini region of Mercia Lynx, all part of Englands weird single system,
Reply 206
Original post by Arianto
:

Years ago, we used to play against Eastcote (team in North West London), their 7th team was made up of a lot of ex-Pakistani and Indian pros. A lot of them were in their 60s and 70s, and it wasn't unusual to have a minute's silence before a match for a player that had passed away. One died during a warm-up. Some of them had been playing for over 50 years.

Our best score against them was a 1-8 defeat.
Hey guys!! Starting training with a non-uni club tomorrow! Pretty nervous. I haven't played since school (ages 15-18) and I'm 20 now! I have been keeping fit since then, though, but I will probably be quite rusty!

Bought kit today and a 36.5 inch stick.

Is it going to be awkward joining a club?! It's mixed sex and age...
Reply 208
Going to start indoor hockey for the first time ever soon...

Any tips/recommendations concerning equipment - bearing in mind minimal costs :rolleyes:?
i.e.
- indoor shoes (I was looking at the DITA Pro-Max's?)
- stick (is composite worth it for the extra cost?)
- and gloves (do I get the ones with proper foam padding on the knuckles to protect against floor friction right?)

cheers guys
Reply 209
Original post by Arianto
Going to start indoor hockey for the first time ever soon...

Any tips/recommendations concerning equipment - bearing in mind minimal costs :rolleyes:?
i.e.
- indoor shoes (I was looking at the DITA Pro-Max's?)
- stick (is composite worth it for the extra cost?)
- and gloves (do I get the ones with proper foam padding on the knuckles to protect against floor friction right?)

cheers guys

Shoes I am not sure on. Stick, it is a hard and furious game a composite one would be worth it. As for glove for for one of the more cricket style ones or you are more likely to get your hand broken.

:smile:

This is what I am looking at getting for when I start indoor hockey soon

Stick :smile:

Glove
I can't believe I hadn't found this before! :biggrin:

I started playing in school and played for a couple of clubs before moving to uni and joining the university club. I normally play upfront or winger but was playing centre mid quite a bit last season which I seemed pretty comfortable in. I have a bit of experience as goal keeper too but I was pretty rubbish!
Original post by politicsobsessed
Hey guys!! Starting training with a non-uni club tomorrow! Pretty nervous. I haven't played since school (ages 15-18) and I'm 20 now! I have been keeping fit since then, though, but I will probably be quite rusty!

Bought kit today and a 36.5 inch stick.

Is it going to be awkward joining a club?! It's mixed sex and age...

Depends how good the club is. If it's a decent one it shouldn't be awkward at all.

Original post by TheRabbit
I can't believe I hadn't found this before! :biggrin:

I started playing in school and played for a couple of clubs before moving to uni and joining the university club. I normally play upfront or winger but was playing centre mid quite a bit last season which I seemed pretty comfortable in. I have a bit of experience as goal keeper too but I was pretty rubbish!

When my team lost 9-1 to Coventry (7 of the 9 from short corners) we had our normal goalkeeper playing midfielder and a striker in goal. Was quite bizzare. Goalie is the one position I haven't played in nor do I intend to really.
Reply 212
Shoes I am not sure on. Stick, it is a hard and furious game a composite one would be worth it. As for glove for for one of the more cricket style ones or you are more likely to get your hand broken.

:smile:

This is what I am looking at getting for when I start indoor hockey soon

Stick :smile:

Glove

Thanks for that!
Pre-season was hard yesterday, especially in the heat. Got it again today and it's meant to be even hotter! Although special coach today, so should be interesting.
Legs feel surprisingly good after first training session after the Summer (last night), which is definitely a good thing since we've got 2 matches against our arch rivals at the weekend. I'm glad to go straight into games as I've already payed subs and last year I didn't get a match for the first 2 months which was pretty ****.

SirMasterKey - does your uni train in the daytime? All our training is in the evening so normally pretty cool if not freezing.
Original post by TheRabbit
Legs feel surprisingly good after first training session after the Summer (last night), which is definitely a good thing since we've got 2 matches against our arch rivals at the weekend. I'm glad to go straight into games as I've already payed subs and last year I didn't get a match for the first 2 months which was pretty ****.

SirMasterKey - does your uni train in the daytime? All our training is in the evening so normally pretty cool if not freezing.

Normally it is in the evenings, it's just this week we've been playing 1-3.

My session today was good, it was a coach getting assessed for his Level 3 badge and he did much better exercises than our usual coaches. 2 on 1s, 4 on 2s (This one we had 3 groups of 4, each split into a third of a 25. The groups on the edges had to get the ball over to the group on the other side without the group in the middle getting it (sent 2 at first into the box with ball and the other two in their own section. If they did, they had to get the ball onto the baseline.)
Hey everyone :smile: I'm in my last year at school and love hockey! I captain my school team but we're pretty bad... I was just wondering if at uni they have lots of teams or just 1? Because there's no way I'd get into a first team but the thought of not playing hockey makes me want to cry! Does anyone here play hockey at uni but not top level?
Original post by clarealexander
Hey everyone :smile: I'm in my last year at school and love hockey! I captain my school team but we're pretty bad... I was just wondering if at uni they have lots of teams or just 1? Because there's no way I'd get into a first team but the thought of not playing hockey makes me want to cry! Does anyone here play hockey at uni but not top level?

I would think most unis have at least 2 teams but it depends on the university size and how popular hockey is - this year (in Aberdeen uni) we have 4 ladies teams, where the 1s and 2s are serious, 3s are for fun/don't have time to commit fully and 4s are for beginners or those just up for a laugh. I have a feeling Edinburgh has something like 7 or 8 womens hockey teams!

Due to BUCS university cup our 4s had to play Edinburgh 3s and they ended up just drinking alcohol... 21 nil wasn't so bad then! We had to play Dundee 1s and got battered 13 nil (they were convinced it was 15... Scumdee cannae count).

Got my first goal of the season at the weekend :biggrin:
Original post by clarealexander

I play Men's thirds at the University of Leicester.

To see roughly how amny teams are at the university you could see how many teams a uni has in the BUCS leagues?

http://www.bucs.org.uk/bucscore/Search.aspx
Reply 219
Anyone see the EHL online? 2 teams from Ireland got to it this year but they were sent back this round already! Great to see them gettin their ass kicked when all they do is kick ass down here!!

Quick Reply

Latest