The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I'm a pathetic girl with no upper arm strength and want to do a bit of weight lifting in the gym. How would you recommend I start without looking like a complete idiot (the entire weight section is full of sweaty men - never seen a girl in there - so I'll have to go only in the early morning or late evening to avoid them all.)

Also, thought about getting some freeweights for using at home. Thoughts? I know you can't add on to them as you improve but chances are if they're cheap enough it'll still be worth it for me as I could probably sell them on.
Reply 981
Original post by MattGriff

I'm looking to start my creatine course in a couple of weeks, does creatine need a shaker? or do you just mix it with cold water in a glass?
Original post by xc1991

Original post by xc1991
I'm looking to start my creatine course in a couple of weeks, does creatine need a shaker? or do you just mix it with cold water in a glass?

I just put the powder in my mouth and wash it down with water. Most people just mix it into a suspension. Don't dissolve it as 1. it takes too long and 2. the creatine will degrade in solution.
Reply 983
Original post by burningnun
I just put the powder in my mouth and wash it down with water. Most people just mix it into a suspension. Don't dissolve it as 1. it takes too long and 2. the creatine will degrade in solution.

what dosage do you take? i'm planning on doing 0.3g per KG of bodyweight a day for 5 days, dropping that down to 0.03g/per kg for a month and then 1 week off
My grip is beginning to fail me on the deadlift (sumo). I'm doing Madcow 5x5 and I'm up to 130kg on my max set and on the last 2 repetitions, the double overhand grip doesn't feel very secure and it's a real battle to hold on to the bar. But the lift is actually quite smooth and fluid; it's just that my grip is weak. Is there an easy way to strengthen the double overhand grip or should I just switch to the hook grip now? I don't like the mixed grip.

How do I figure out the optimal stance for the sumo deadlift? I feel like my stance is optimal but, on the other hand, it looks fairly narrow compared to what I have seen online.

I also want to learn the snatch. Firstly, I need to build up shoulder mobility by shoulder dislocates; is this the best way? Secondly, how do I figure out the optimal grip width for the snatch? I'm pretty sure that you have to figure it out by setting your grip such that the bar hangs at a certain position relative to your body.

Thanks for any help.
Original post by gangsta316

Original post by gangsta316
My grip is beginning to fail me on the deadlift (sumo). I'm doing Madcow 5x5 and I'm up to 130kg on my max set and on the last 2 repetitions, the double overhand grip doesn't feel very secure and it's a real battle to hold on to the bar. But the lift is actually quite smooth and fluid; it's just that my grip is weak. Is there an easy way to strengthen the double overhand grip or should I just switch to the hook grip now? I don't like the mixed grip.

How do I figure out the optimal stance for the sumo deadlift? I feel like my stance is optimal but, on the other hand, it looks fairly narrow compared to what I have seen online.

I also want to learn the snatch. Firstly, I need to build up shoulder mobility by shoulder dislocates; is this the best way? Secondly, how do I figure out the optimal grip width for the snatch? I'm pretty sure that you have to figure it out by setting your grip such that the bar hangs at a certain position relative to your body.

Thanks for any help.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127032121

The videos have been removed by the user... thanks anyway.
Reply 987
MattGriff

If you had to pick 2 assistance excercises for squat and 2 for deadlift, what would they be?
Original post by u4m1r
If you had to pick 2 assistance excercises for squat and 2 for deadlift, what would they be?

Squat -

Pause Squats
Depending on weakness either front squats or glute ham raises (for me front squats)

Deadlift -

Partial Deadlifts
Powercleans
Squat -

Pause Squats
Depending on weakness either front squats or glute ham raises (for me front squats)

Deadlift -

Partial Deadlifts
Powercleans

how much can you partially deadlift matt?

and if there was a 500kg barbell, do you think you could unrack it on your shoulders and quarter squat it?
Original post by SummerSofas
how much can you partially deadlift matt?

and if there was a 500kg barbell, do you think you could unrack it on your shoulders and quarter squat it?

Depends from what height, have done 380kg from just below the knee, 355 from about 2 inches below

No idea, I wouldn't try it as it would be pointless
xx

i want to use my physique to get girls, what works best in your opinion? tight clothes or bulky clothes? telling them how much i squat?
i want to use my physique to get girls, what works best in your opinion? tight clothes or bulky clothes? telling them how much i squat?

Having a large wallet if you're after the shallow type of girl who must have a guy have this or that physique.
Reply 993

If you are big enough, a donkey punch to the back of the head usually works.
Having a large wallet if you're after the shallow type of girl who must have a guy have this or that physique.

Not sure if I've asked you about this already

Anyway, sometimes when I squat, the bar goes on an angle. Now I don't feel anything when doing this, no discomfort, and my bar placement is fine. When I put the bar on my back I make sure its even etc

here's a video which shows it

My bro read somewhere that it could be shoulder inflexibility?
Original post by commandant
Not sure if I've asked you about this already

Anyway, sometimes when I squat, the bar goes on an angle. Now I don't feel anything when doing this, no discomfort, and my bar placement is fine. When I put the bar on my back I make sure its even etc

here's a video which shows it

My bro read somewhere that it could be shoulder inflexibility?

Yeah it is, several people in the gym do it. You need to work on your rotor cuffs and try shoulder dislocations with a band/rope to start with.
You can usually see by where the elbow is (and the angle of it) that the arms are uneaven.
Reply 996
How do I stop my hips coming up before my torso in the squat? It happens when it gets heavy. I was thinking about driving with the heels and that seemed to help but not entirely.
Original post by Becca
How do I stop my hips coming up before my torso in the squat? It happens when it gets heavy. I was thinking about driving with the heels and that seemed to help but not entirely.

Its quad weakness (vs your back strength), lighten the load and do it properly, add in front squats if you can to help target the quads
Yeah it is, several people in the gym do it. You need to work on your rotor cuffs and try shoulder dislocations with a band/rope to start with.
You can usually see by where the elbow is (and the angle of it) that the arms are uneaven.

Thanks
Reply 999
Its quad weakness (vs your back strength), lighten the load and do it properly, add in front squats if you can to help target the quads

Cheers. Will have a go at front squats.

Quick Reply

Latest