The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k9markiii
I use mapometer.com to plan most of my routes. It's quite useful. Do you have a parkrun nearby. Really good for testing your speed over 5k. I'm struggling to improve at the moment but I'm doing some faster sessions now so that's good.

Yeah I've been looking on MapMyRun.com but there's just no where around that's nice to run. I think I've just been a bit spoilt, on my placement year I've had a nice canal to run along and in uni I had a lake and huge park so running around streets just doesn't seem that appealing :/

I do have a parkrun near me so maybe I'll give that a go :smile:
Original post by Ian80
Yeah I've been looking on MapMyRun.com but there's just no where around that's nice to run. I think I've just been a bit spoilt, on my placement year I've had a nice canal to run along and in uni I had a lake and huge park so running around streets just doesn't seem that appealing :/

I do have a parkrun near me so maybe I'll give that a go :smile:

I sometimes use the search function to see what other people do as their routes. Usually I can take and improve upon them to make ones, which are suitable for me. The problem for me being out in the countryside is the first 2 miles of my run is always identical as there's one road out of the village that's OK to run along. I normally run in Lancaster during term time. You have a river canal wood parkland and town all in easy reach, which is incredible.
Original post by k9markiii
I sometimes use the search function to see what other people do as their routes. Usually I can take and improve upon them to make ones, which are suitable for me. The problem for me being out in the countryside is the first 2 miles of my run is always identical as there's one road out of the village that's OK to run along. I normally run in Lancaster during term time. You have a river canal wood parkland and town all in easy reach, which is incredible.

That sounds amazing and I'm jealous :tongue:

I'm only at home for about 4 weeks then I'm on holiday and then it's back to uni so I guess I'll just have to deal with a few rubbish runs until I'm back.

I just hope that I stay motivated and do actually go out. Think I'll buy myself some new trainers to sweeten the deal :tongue:
Does anyone get side stitches when they run? I get them all the time and it really sucks because they prevent me from going any further. Sometimes I've only been running for 20 mins and I'd already get them. How do I prevent this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamsuperjai
Does anyone get side stitches when they run? I get them all the time and it really sucks because they prevent me from going any further. Sometimes I've only been running for 20 mins and I'd already get them. How do I prevent this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get stitches on pretty much every run. I was always told just to run through them and they will soon go, has always worked for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you leaving enough time after you've eaten before you run? Give it about an hour after you've eaten before you run and you might find you don't get stitches any more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was younger and played football, I couldn't drink anything at all because I'd get stitches straight away.
Original post by OU Student
Well, that was one **** race. I really want to know where my £50 went. I received my race pack on Saturday (by this time I was in London) and the general organisation was awful.

Will stick with the London 10,000 next time.

We didn't even get a good bag. :mad:

This event gets awful reviews year after year, I don't understand how it can still be charging such obscene prices for what sounds like the worst run event in the UK.
Original post by Nichrome
This event gets awful reviews year after year, I don't understand how it can still be charging such obscene prices for what sounds like the worst run event in the UK.

I don't know anyone who has had anything positive about it. I know one year, it was pretty bad. I was hoping that was a one-off and they'd improve it. Clearly, I was wrong. They did argue that they can't do what the London 10,000 has done because there aren't as many runners at that one. Funny how the London Marathon manages.:rolleyes:

I've been doing some of the Cornwall Grand Prix races and the organisation for them is so much better. Actually, any race has been better organised.

The London 10,000 is half the price and much better organisation-wise. We knew roughly what time we'd set off. It was done in waves, ordered by your prediction time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you eat at least 1.5 hours before you run. "Belly breathing" which is when you push your stomach muscles out on an inhale also helps me :smile:
Getting fitter overtime will eliminate them eventually :smile:
I'm ridiculously unfit to the point where I get out if breath as soon as I run. Also, I have a foot that turns out to the side when I run/walk... Help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone here run for 2 clubs? I want to run with my uni during term time and at a club near my home outside term. I don't know how to do this. Any ideas?
So, whenever I run, I end up with two lumps coming up down near my ankle. One of them is on the outside of my leg about 3 inches above my ankle and the other is a little further up to the outside of my shin. Weird as I only get them on my right leg and they are never there any other time (I ride about 150-200km per week with no lumps).

Has anyone ever experienced the same or know what it could be?

Oh, and they don't cause any pain.
anyone any tips for a potential quad strain? I ran yesterday and felt a dull ache in my thigh - quad area. I foam rolled it and felt a bit better, so ran again this morning. The pain was there the whole run and it just feels very tight and stiff. I cannot see any swelling or bruising so wondered if it still could be a tear or just a pull. Either way any adivce? I am wanting to keep running as i am in training at the moment!!

Thanks
Reply 7994
Hate it when you go for a run then really need a dump and can't continue.
Original post by bobsta10
So, whenever I run, I end up with two lumps coming up down near my ankle. One of them is on the outside of my leg about 3 inches above my ankle and the other is a little further up to the outside of my shin. Weird as I only get them on my right leg and they are never there any other time (I ride about 150-200km per week with no lumps).

Has anyone ever experienced the same or know what it could be?

Oh, and they don't cause any pain.

Yep! I get one on my lower right leg. About the same place as your first one.

In my google search, I discovered muscle hernias, and I think that's what it is. Someone online scared me into going to the doctor so I did, and because the doctor couldn't see them (it only comes up after running or walking about all day) he didn't seem too worried. He referred me for a scan though. My scan is in a couple of weeks.
Original post by katehlouise
Yep! I get one on my lower right leg. About the same place as your first one.

In my google search, I discovered muscle hernias, and I think that's what it is. Someone online scared me into going to the doctor so I did, and because the doctor couldn't see them (it only comes up after running or walking about all day) he didn't seem too worried. He referred me for a scan though. My scan is in a couple of weeks.

Ah nice to know I'm not the only one!

I went to my doctor too but he just said it was probably scar tissue from the multiple sprains I had on that ankle. I didn't quite believe him though and have just got on with it I guess.

Does yours ever hurt at all?
Original post by RtGOAT
Hate it when you go for a run then really need a dump and can't continue.

I'm sure this was mentioned by me not to long ago.

Last month, I did a race which I didn't quite finish due to falling over. I was about a mile from the finish. My coach told me they're going to give me a prize.:smile:
Original post by bobsta10
Ah nice to know I'm not the only one!

I went to my doctor too but he just said it was probably scar tissue from the multiple sprains I had on that ankle. I didn't quite believe him though and have just got on with it I guess.

Does yours ever hurt at all?

Nope. Even pressing on it doesn't hurt. The only issue I've had is that my right foot seems to get pins and needles very often. The doctor said that it wouldn't be related to that, but I dunno. I wanted it checked anyway xD
Hey all :smile: have started couch to 5k this week! The first run almost killed me, but I'm going to stick at it and not give up. Even though it's miserable at the moment, I imagine running is the best feeling in the world once you get good at it and can run for a long time without getting too tired.

Latest