The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not racist, the waitress simply used that description as it's easily identifiable amongst other customers. They need to get a life and stop whining I'm sure it happens a lot.
Reply 81
Calling a black person black isn't racist. And not calling a white person white isn't racist either.
Reply 82
Its not racist at all, if it said White couple upstairs, no one would blink an eyelid. If anything the couple are racist for acting like they did.
thethinker
The pub should have put 'white couple' to avoid offense

hahahahahhaa
Reply 84
Not racist, of course they wouldn't say "white couple" because they were probably 20 white couples dining at the same time but if it was 20 black couples then they would say white couple!
death.drop
making a big deal out of nothing. it's a bloody description with nothing offensive in it.

I know i've said things like that when pointing my boss round the corner. along with 'tall bloke' 'woman with bright blonde hair' etc.

Exactly this.

It's just a description; they are black, why is it offensive to be described as something that you are? If I was abroad in another country, I wouldn't be offended by being called 'the white person'. I'd probably find it amusing actually. It was probably because they were the only people of that ethnicity in the room, so it was an easy way of narrowing it down for the waiter who served them.
True though that the place should have had numbered tables, and it was a bit of a foolish thing to do considering what a touchy subject race is.
Reply 86
BigFudamental
Black or not, that dude is seriously ugly.

The first time i looked at the article i didnt look at him, i scrolled down the page and read this comment, reopened the link and looked at the dude.

I laughed :awesome:
Textbook race hypersensitivity. These people need to take a damn chill pill.
Reply 88
comments
Read this story properly. This is NOT racism.

The couple ordered AT THE BAR, with no table number. The bar staff, with no clue as to whether there was anyone upstairs, had to describe these people for the waiter/waitress delivering the food to identify them.

Also, even if the place was deserted, what if other people went upstairs to eat after this couple placed their order?

The Slug obviously was trying to help this couple by letting them order food without sending them upstairs to get a table number and then returning to the bar.

If the tables are not numbered, the only way to avoid offending such oversensitive people is to give them a token of some kind to display to the wait staff.

But I repeat, this is NOT racism.

And what if those other customers had been black also? This is London, for Christ's sake; granted, the reaction of the couple in question is entirely disproportionate, but that shouldn't excuse the establishment's ineptitude.
I'm black, and I'm like "WTH?" at this story smh. The couple's reaction is a bit OTT, "black" is just a neutral descriptive word, it is not offensive like n***** or c***. Gosh.
Reply 90
Jonogodden
but they are black.... aren't they?

exactly, get over it, life goes on :smile:
Reply 91
FyreFight
Heaven forfend that a black couple might be described as a black couple.

At least they'll know to refer to them henceforth as 'a student and his girlfriend'.
Erm don't see the problem? The word 'black' is not racist :confused:
I wouldn't feel bad about being called 'the white woman' if I was in a non-white country. I suppose it's a bit WEIRD that they wrote 'blk couple' when they were the only people in the restaurant, but that might have been incase other people came in afterwards. Maybe with other people they would have said "oriental couple" or "woman with purple hat" or something :p:
I find it funny that they were "outraged", that's slighly excessive!
Reply 93
Oh for god's sake. It's incidents like this that make it much harder for people to be taken seriously when there are genuine cases of discrimination. I used to work in a bar and you have to describe people somehow or it's impossible to identify customers. And they ARE a black couple... It's not like they used racially abusive terminology.
Hello Laura!
I love it when people try to describe someone of a different origin to themselves as 'the man with the short hair' or whatever so they don't cause offence. Particularly when there's about 6 men with short hair near by, and the one they're talking about is the black guy.

Lmao. That's the worst thing to me. Something like "the gentleman in the green jumper with the glasses and the brown shoes" would just be completely ridiculous! When people try to be deliberatly "not racist", they just come across as racist or that they feel really uncomfortable about other races or something.
Well they were a black couple?

He needs to grow up honestly, it's not like they put
"upstairs 2 nig****, probably armed proceed with caution"
:eek3: 'upstairs blk couple' ????

Not exactly akin to the Holocaust, is it?

Bet they got a free meal out of it too
Reply 97
The term "black" is not derogatory so no this isn't racist as they were black.
Reply 98
They are black? Wouldn't it have been more offensive if they'd said 'fat couple' or 'chavvy couple'. People need to grow up and get real. The poor waitress just wrote the truth. Some people argh!!!
Reply 99
Political correctness gone too far. It is an accurate, and unmistakable description of them so the waiter doesn't bring the food to the wrong people. One of the comments on that article said "I found "bldy" on my bill once. Perhaps thats because I is bald". Haha, at least they didn't get something like that. They might have had a case then.

Latest

Trending

Trending