The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nathan-Jones

And, please, for everyone's sake, dismount from your high-horse: your rant about your brilliance and everybody else's moral filth is highly irritating; has anyone ever told you to shut up about being a vegetarian?

The thread title is 'How would a vegetarian react to this situation' so it'd be pretty weird if we started talking about X Factor or the price of chips...
blinkbelle
The thread title is 'How would a vegetarian react to this situation' so it'd be pretty weird if we started talking about X Factor or the price of chips...

:lolwut:

Is it impossible to discuss vegetarianism without sounding like a pompous idiot then?
missaphrodite
Kill as many chickens as you like. I've not eaten enough to reduce demand enough to make up for it over 14 years. But I'm not going to eat the flesh of another animal because that's disgusting and selfish. I'm also not going to effectively "buy into" the meat trade. I don't want a chicken's proteins making up my body kthanx.

Edit: I also don't think humans are automatically > chickens. A life is a life to me, meh.

lol selfish. Think I'll go eat a cow.
Nathan-Jones
:lolwut:

Is it impossible to discuss vegetarianism without sounding like a pompous idiot then?

I don't sound like a pompous idiot..
blinkbelle
I don't sound like a pompous idiot..

I didn't say you did.
Reply 85
madima
i hate herbivores, but how would you react to "here's a corpse. you either eat this or we'll kill another human"?

p.s. i recognise that human >> chicken, but it's the same principle (i think).

but thats that thing though - an alive human is better than a dead one, i'd eat the corpse if it would save the other person - simple morals really. i aint doing no harm by eating the corpse and by doing so i'm saving somebody else
Reply 86
Wow i only started this thread out of boredom and amusement lol!
didn't expect this much replies!!

Oh well...MEAT ALL THE WAY !! :awesome:
yellofeeva
Jimmy Carr asked something like "Would you **** your mother to save your fathers life"

Quite an easy question that...no he's already dead.
Reply 88
Let them kill the other chicken. I am not vegetarian coz of some misplaced sense of "love" for animals.
the chicken will be killed anyway for none vegetarians to eat.

if the question was eat the chicken or we'll kill you then i would eat the chicken
That's pretty lame. There's always a gap. Few people ever kill their own food; most vegetarians don't just not eat what they've killed themselves.
Reply 92
alright then. That means theres nothing wrong with me eating meat in the way of animals dying as i haven't killed the animals personally.
Nathan-Jones
I'm a vegetarian but I think it's wrong to claim there's something unnatural or wrong with eating meat. Perhaps many people are ignorant of the harmful implications of eating meat, but there is nothing unnatural and wrong with eating an animal

And, please, for everyone's sake, dismount from your high-horse: your rant about your brilliance and everybody else's moral filth is highly irritating; has anyone ever told you to shut up about being a vegetarian?

I was defending myself because someone said I gave vegetarians "a bad name", whereas to me some teenager who becomes a vegetarian because it's on trend or because they "don't like the taste of meat" give vegetarians a bad name as far as I'm concerned.
And no, I never get told to shut up about being a vegetarian, because I don't talk about it in real life unless people ask me why I'm a vegetarian. I don't preach it either. People can do what the hell they want.
Like anyone would defend themselves for being the religion they are, I do that for vegetarianism, because it is about the only thing I have strong beliefs regarding and am passionate about.
I never said I was brilliant or whatever, just for me, from my research, I'm doing the right thing and I think we would all benefit if everyone in the world was vegetarian. Probably never going to happen unfortunately, but I think it would benefit every single person if it did.
missaphrodite
I was defending myself because someone said I gave vegetarians "a bad name", whereas to me some teenager who becomes a vegetarian because it's on trend or because they "don't like the taste of meat" give vegetarians a bad name as far as I'm concerned.
And no, I never get told to shut up about being a vegetarian, because I don't talk about it in real life unless people ask me why I'm a vegetarian. I don't preach it either. People can do what the hell they want.
Like anyone would defend themselves for being the religion they are, I do that for vegetarianism, because it is about the only thing I have strong beliefs regarding and am passionate about.
I never said I was brilliant or whatever, just for me, from my research, I'm doing the right thing and I think we would all benefit if everyone in the world was vegetarian. Probably never going to happen unfortunately, but I think it would benefit every single person if it did.

OK. Sorry if I sounded harsh.
blinkbelle
Can I ask why you haven't gone as far as becoming vegan? xx

I'd love to actually :/
But it's a big problem in my household with my sister and I being vegetarian because my parents are meat eaters and so are my boyfriend and his family. They already go out of their way to cater for me and there's some resentment there. In my living situation and financial situation, it's not realistically possible at the moment.
I don't eat eggs or dairy by themselves, I wouldn't go and drink a glass of milk for example, but I eat non-vegan cake and that kind of thing.
I make sure that everyone I know buy free range eggs only, I'm quite insistant about that :p:
missaphrodite
I'd love to actually :/
But it's a big problem in my household with my sister and I being vegetarian because my parents are meat eaters and so are my boyfriend and his family. They already go out of their way to cater for me and there's some resentment there. In my living situation and financial situation, it's not realistically possible at the moment.
I don't eat eggs or dairy by themselves, I wouldn't go and drink a glass of milk for example, but I eat non-vegan cake and that kind of thing.
I make sure that everyone I know buy free range eggs only, I'm quite insistant about that :p:

That's horrible! I live in a meat eating house (and my boyfriend isn't veggie either) and I've never felt such 'resentment' :no: how harsh.
blinkbelle
That's horrible! I live in a meat eating house (and my boyfriend isn't veggie either) and I've never felt such 'resentment' :no: how harsh.

Hm well, my boyf's parents make it obvious that I'm putting them out because they eat meat at every meal (:mad: ), my parents have got used to it but complain now and again, and then my boyfriend brings it up every single time we have an argument and makes a deal out of it :facepalm: I think though, he respects what I'm doing and agrees with the ethics, but he's such a fussy eater (nothing green!) that he feels he couldn't go veggie. Lots of people are veggie at school though, which is awesome, and I've got my sis :P:

Latest

Trending

Trending