The Student Room Group

Help- Sitting disability

Hey. I have a disability where I can't sit down for long periods of time. I've had pain in my back and legs for a year now, meaning it is chronic. Unfortunately I didn't bother to see a doctor about it. I told my dad but he kept telling me it was only a bit of back pain and that I should just get on with things. I remember not being able to write in two of my economics exams because of the pain, although I did very well in my ICT exams (which helped me to get the grades needed for uni).

Whereas before I was able to sit for 2 hours (with pain), now it has been limited to just 30 mins - because of an injury which has worsened the pain significantly.

I'm in my first year of university and haven't attended anything yet, because I'm worried about the pain getting in the way. I have informed my personal tutor and she told me to concentrate on getting better.

I have had an MRI scan and have got an appointment to see the neurologist on monday. I suspect it's chronic sciatica.

How will this affect my course? Do you think the university will be able to help me in any way, or will I be forced to take a gap year? I'm going to Leicester uni by the way.
Reply 1
I know it's a bit of a strange topic but any help would be appreciated. Would it look strange if I stand up every 15 mins in the lecture and walk around? Or if I took a cushion in with me.

I feel like a 80 year old man with this pain! If only I'd gone to see the doctor when it first started.
Can you not sit at the back then if/when you need to get up you can just wander out of the lecture hall
Taking a cushion in would be fine, no one would look at you strangely, they'd just think you like to be comfortable. Walking around every quarter of an hour would lead to you being labeled a weirdo though, I'm afraid.
how about actually talking to the disability advisory service in your uni???

they provide note takers etc for certain disabilities so they may consider if you cannot stay the time then that may be a suitable alternative so you can still get some notes so you are on equal par with your peers despite your disability.

You may well also get funding for a special chair, cushions etc.
Reply 5
Anonymous
Hey. I have a disability where I can't sit down for long periods of time. I've had pain in my back and legs for a year now, meaning it is chronic. Unfortunately I didn't bother to see a doctor about it. I told my dad but he kept telling me it was only a bit of back pain and that I should just get on with things. I remember not being able to write in two of my economics exams because of the pain, although I did very well in my ICT exams (which helped me to get the grades needed for uni).

Whereas before I was able to sit for 2 hours (with pain), now it has been limited to just 30 mins - because of an injury which has worsened the pain significantly.

I'm in my first year of university and haven't attended anything yet, because I'm worried about the pain getting in the way. I have informed my personal tutor and she told me to concentrate on getting better.

I have had an MRI scan and have got an appointment to see the neurologist on monday. I suspect it's chronic sciatica.

How will this affect my course? Do you think the university will be able to help me in any way, or will I be forced to take a gap year? I'm going to Leicester uni by the way.

Hi I am a 3rd year student and I have the same disability as you. I have slipped discs and worn joints in my back that has caused this. Over this year the pain as got worse sitting, so I too find it difficult to sit still for long because of the pain. I generally sit at the back of lectures and exit if have to. Also I would inform your tutors as they are there to help and I have had no problems. Also talk to disaility assist they are there to help. But honestly don't worry as long as you tell them there is nothing they can do. And don't not go to uni you will love it and you don't want to miss out. Hope all works out for you.
Reply 6
Anonymous
I know it's a bit of a strange topic but any help would be appreciated. Would it look strange if I stand up every 15 mins in the lecture and walk around? Or if I took a cushion in with me.

I feel like a 80 year old man with this pain! If only I'd gone to see the doctor when it first started.

I've seen people at school bring in cushions for back pain, especially sporty one. Don't worry about it! Get on to choosing one with a pretty pattern :yep: .
Reply 7
Also, you can apply for mitigations so that your disability doesn't have a negative effect on your exams

Latest