The Student Room Group

Evolution is a thoery!

Why do people say evolution is a fact when it is just a theory. I was discussing this matter with my Biology lecturer and she confirmed that it is only a thoery. Another lecturer of mine told me a lot of what we are taught in science is theory and not fact e.g the structure of an atom, ect. So why is it that people claim evolution to be a fact? I have come to realise the only people who do claim it to be a fact, are obviously ignorant and clearly don't have a degree in Biology because if they did, they would know its a theory.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why do you care?? It's a theory based on scientific findings. Q_Q
Reply 3
Well if you decide to take it up that way...Our own existance is a theory...gravity is a theory, anything can be defined as such.
It does make sense, though.....
Reply 5
Science is build on assumptions get that!

Reply 6
King-Panther
Why do people say evolution is a fact when it is just a theory. I was discussing this matter with my Biology lecturer and she confirmed that it is only a thoery. Another lecturer of mine told me a lot of what we are taught in science is theory and not fact e.g the structure of an atom, ect. So why is it that people claim evolution to be a fact? I have come to realise the only people who do claim it to be a fact, are obviously ignorant and clearly don't have a degree in Biology because if they did, they would know its a theory.

lol
Reply 7
It has been experimentally backed up albeit on a smaller scale (evolution of microbes).
Reply 8
Also everything in science is theory.
Reply 9
are people still arguing about god in 2009 lol.. Let it go
Troll, inspired by the controversy in the thread entitled 'the most obvious argument against religion' or something. Your lecturer would have laughed in your face if you had wasted his time by presenting this as a worthwhile discussion.
Edycal
Well if you decide to take it up that way...Our own existance is a theory...gravity is a theory, anything can be defined as such.

No we do exist, that is not a theory!

This really should have been the end of the thread.

And no, "everything in science" is not a theory.
Reply 13
King-Panther
No we do exist, that is not a theory!

How do you know?, Who's us?, Who's controlling our bodies? minds?, How do do you know we're not just some remote-controlled supermarket toys being managed by some 3 million year old baby alien a couple light years away?
PimpMobile
Also everything in science is theory.

No, its not! What can be observed, is fact!
Reply 15
Edycal
How do you know?, Who's us?, Who's controlling our bodies? minds?, How do do you know we're not just some remote-controlled supermarket toys being managed by some 3 million year old baby alien a couple light years away?

because this isnt an episode of the twilight zone, and everything so far has been proved to operate on natural laws, with no sign of intervention??
Mathematics isn't 'Just theory'.
Reply 17
Juliedrulie18
It does make sense, though.....

:biggrin:
Reply 18
rotatoe
because this isnt an episode of the twilight zone, and everything so far has been proved to operate on natural laws, with no sign of intervention??

I'm not saying i agree with everything around us being a theory, if you'd have read my op you would've known. I'm just saying what other people think regarding everything being a theory nothing more and what the hell is twilight zone? (not from u.k)
Reply 19
relativity, gravity, newtons "laws" are all theory too.

Latest

Trending

Trending