The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
neillya1
The bold bit, you're REALLY wrong with. ROI troops are not British in the slightest.

He might have meant the pre-1922 blokes from what is now RoI, many of whome fought in WW1 or the RoI troops that served (and indeed still serve in large numbers) with the British Military on operations.

Jim-ie
to everyone saying celtic are scum for not remembering a minutes silence. lets look why.

this silence was NOT purely for WW1 and WW2 dead, as it should be, as is the original point. it was for all british dead in conflicts. that includes northern ireland, were many celtic fans were themselves killed, their families killed or injured, and their friends, by the British army. the same British army they are expected to give a minutes silence for.

No thanks, keep to the original meaning of the silence, or dont have one at all. we will not be caught trap in a wave of british patriotism that in the past has tried to destroy my community or put them behind bars because they might be able to carry a gun.

You didn't see the Rangers fans shouting about the IRA did you?

Lets not forget that the IRA deliberatly planted bombs to kill civilians, the British Army didn't do that. Indeed, contrary to what IRA-supporting scum say about the protestant army etc, the proportion of Catholics in the British Army was higher than in the general British public.
Reply 41
Jim-ie
Wise up.

When it is forced on my club I am involved as a Celtic fan.

What offensive songs did they sing? Go on, tell me.

Get real. You don't want to commemorate? Fine. I'm sure many people didn't do a damn thing to commemorate and I don't care what they did instead. But if you are genuinely trying to justify deliberate disrupting a act of remembrance for people who, rightly or wrongly, died for what they believed was right, there's no hope for you. It's exactly the same as gatecrashing a funeral, a la Westboro Church. I wouldn't disrupt an IRA commemoration, I wouldn't even disrupt an Al-Qaeda memorial. Agree with the politics or not, there's no justification for spitting in the face of those trying to mourn.
flugelr

Lets not forget that the IRA deliberatly planted bombs to kill civilians, the British Army didn't do that. Indeed, contrary to what IRA-supporting scum say about the protestant army etc, the proportion of Catholics in the British Army was higher than in the general British public.

Look, just as this is not a Scottish independence thread, it isn't an IRA thread either. The IRA never came up yesterday during the minute's silence, which is what the OP is on about.
Reply 43
AndyScotland
Ah listen to you, ya plastic paddy. Do remember the green brigade getting booed out of paradise last year? I know plenty about my clubs history, I love celtic I support them more than anyone! But what I dont do is let football dictate my political beliefs! Oh and I sat in 110 against hamburg! which is just to the right of all them lot. I think bringing a nation democracy and freedom from the Taliban is a good thing! Oh and for the union flag well at the end of the day I'm British! If your against the poppy dont ******* wear it! Its that simple! Oh and have some respect for the war dead do not disrupt a minute silence! You lot give celtic a bad name, look at the thread created because of you! You like hunz!

Like I've said mate, bring your union flag to St Mirren on the 28th :yep:

Do you not think that with the volume of Irish fans we have, its disrespectful to support a charity which funds those who affected, and often killed, their families?
Paul92
Like I've said mate, bring your union flag to St Mirren on the 28th :yep:

Do you not think that with the volume of Irish fans we have, its disrespectful to support a charity which funds those who affected, and often killed, their families?

I don't own one.

What about the irish who have killed british familys? it works both ways! If they come to Britain then they have to accept that In Britain we are going to honour British soldiers they are vistors they must respect our customs! Anyway your scottish right? You should not give a **** about what happens in ireland infact they ruin the oldfirm! They should support their own teams in Ireland. So you let football choose your political beliefs?
Reply 45
The song was by AidenMcanespie which is not an IRA song so please get your facts right before making a statement such as that.

I've just came back from a 3 day trip from Belgium and i'm as ashamed as any respectable celtic fan.

A celtic player infact won the VC in worldwar 1. However, alot of people still feel hatred towards Britain for what it has done to Ireland in the past 40 years.

But I still find it shocking that they couldnt stay silent for just 1 minute and keep there views to themselves!!
Reply 46
flugelr
He might have meant the pre-1922 blokes from what is now RoI, many of whome fought in WW1 or the RoI troops that served (and indeed still serve in large numbers) with the British Military on operations.

You didn't see the Rangers fans shouting about the IRA did you?

Did the British not bomb Dresden and kill thousands of innocent people? Completley Irrelevant i know but i'm throwing it out there.
Reply 47
Hadouken
Did the British not bomb Dresden and kill thousands of innocent people? Completley Irrelevant i know but i'm throwing it out there.

Completly irrelevant.
Reply 48
Jim-ie
to everyone saying celtic are scum for not remembering a minutes silence. lets look why.

this silence was NOT purely for WW1 and WW2 dead, as it should be, as is the original point. it was for all british dead in conflicts. that includes northern ireland, were many celtic fans were themselves killed, their families killed or injured, and their friends, by the British army. the same British army they are expected to give a minutes silence for.

No thanks, keep to the original meaning of the silence, or dont have one at all. we will not be caught trap in a wave of british patriotism that in the past has tried to destroy my community or put them behind bars because they might be able to carry a gun.

Ah **** off!

Fact 1: An overwhelming majority (60%) of Irish civilians killed in the Troubles were killed by Republican paramilitary groups........... I don't see you ranting about them killing your families?!

Fact 2: Another 30% of civilians killed were killed by Loyalist paramilitary groups.......Fair enough you hate them and your IRA buddies tried to kill them.

Do the maths, the figures are freely available.

Facts 3 + 4: The number of Republican/Loyalist paramilitary members killed in the Troubles was 545, yet British security forces killed approx 353 people in total.

Now since it was the paramilitary members who the security services were targetting, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who they slotted.
Sure, some civilians were killed by British security services which is an absolute tragedy, but British security forces didn't deliberately targeted civilians.
Contrast this to the paramilitary groups who often DELIBERATELY targetted civilians with bombs etc, and you can see how hypocritical you're being. The IRA killed far more civilians than the British army.

Without the British security forces, the two sides would have caused a lot more bloodshed to civilians, and don't you try and pretend otherwise.

Sources, [1] [2]
Dear God, both Celtic and Rangers should gtfo.
AndyScotland
I don't own one.

What about the irish who have killed british familys? it works both ways! If they come to Britain then they have to accept that In Britain we are going to honour British soldiers they are vistors they must respect our customs! Anyway your scottish right? You should not give a **** about what happens in ireland infact they ruin the oldfirm! They should support their own teams in Ireland. So you let football choose your political beliefs?

You're a moron. I don't know where to begin and I don't know why I'm bothering*:

1)"What about the irish who have killed british familys?"- There is no remembrance of the IRA at football matches in Scotland and, in any case, the IRA has never, in any form, been a representative of Ireland in the way the British Army represents the UK.

2)"If they come to Britain then they have to accept that In Britain we are going to honour British soldiers they are vistors they must respect our customs! "-
This is oversimplifying things to the extreme. Not all British people honour the Armed Forces, it isn't really a black-and-white, us and them thing. And not all British people see the need for remembrance at the football, which is a new fad introduced when recruitment figures are dropping and we're fighting unpopular wars. Do you think the natives in Northern Ireland unanimously support Remembrance Day, for instance? The actions of the British Army in its own country are some of its most unpopular, remember.

3)"Anyway your scottish right? You should not give a **** about what happens in ireland "-
So, can I only care about what happens in Scotland? Can I not care about other human beings because, by some accident of birth, they were born on another piece of land from me? Can I not even care about what my representatives are doing in my name on these other pieces of land? Come on, we shouldn't be so insular- I never see this argument wheeled out when we're discussing the plight of Iranians, Afghans, Iraqis, Americans etc etc. Being human justifies an interest alone, but a lot of people have a familial connection with Ireland, or an affinity born out of its proximity to and similarities with Scotland, further justifying their interest in the Emerald Isle.

4) "infact they ruin the oldfirm! They should support their own teams in Ireland."

So, a club founded by Irishmen, for the integration of Irishmen into the community and the provision of support for the poor in the East End of Glasgow, which included but was not restricted to Irish Catholic immigrants, should not enjoy the support of the Irish? The club is presented a new Tricolour by the Irish Premier every year, a tradition dating back to De Valera. The mission statement proclaims a pride in our Irish roots. If anything, Celtic has a dual nationality, or none at all.

And whose to say they don't support Irish clubs? With all due respect, it is hardly as if they are in direct competition with Celtic.

5)"So you let football choose your political beliefs"- Influence would be a better choice of words, I think. When there's a coming together of like-minded people, it's obvious they are going to influence each other. It's daft to separate things into their own we compartments- could you take the politics out of music, for instance?

*Actually, this is a welcome distraction.
Reply 51
FootPrints

I am neither:smile: :wink:
MaceyThe
I am neither:smile: :wink:

Neither am I :smile: ...obviously :p:
MaceyThe
Ah **** off!...

That would all be well and good if Jim was a keyboard Provo and the IRA were relevant to the discussion. Neither is the case. Bolt!
FootPrints

God's a Tim, sorry to break it to you :p:
Celtic_Anthony
God's a Tim, sorry to break it to you :p:

Tim? Am I being a total idiot in not knowing what that means :o: lol
FootPrints
Tim? Am I being a total idiot in not knowing what that means :o: lol

:toofunny:

You are also the person I clarified the varying definitions of H** for IIRC?

Tim is just a Celtic fan, from Tim Malloy- the supposedly generic name of the Irish immigrant :top:
Celtic_Anthony

Tim is just a Celtic fan, from Tim Malloy- the supposedly generic name of the Irish immigrant :top:

Yes I believe so. Apparently I suck at Celtic/football in general related matters :p:. And that certainly was one controversial statement :rofl:
Reply 58
apotts
During the minutes silence for dead British (yes, that includes Irish and Scottish) troops, the Celtic fans at the Falkirk match were singing IRA songs... You have to wonder what sort of punishment will be forthcoming - it should be a large fine and several matches behind closed doors, the *****...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KwSJCAfaBE

Oh, get a life.

Whatever club you support will have fans that do/have done the same thing at some other minute of silence.

Also, nobody is obligated to observe Remembrance Sunday.
Celtic_Anthony

Speaking of which, I'm a converted Celtic fan, and in heated discussions I get referred to as Fenian. I thought this was just an Irish Catholic, why is it offensive?

Also, really, all teams have those few morons who will commit acts like this. They picked a ridiculous time to deliver their message sure, but obviously that doesn't make the entire team bad.

Latest