The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had an ingrown toe nail (my right toe) operated on when I was a teenager. Procedure wasn't too bad (done whilst under local anaesthetic) and had to wear a bandage over it, which was taken off by a nurse in a local clinic. I missed school for the op but went back the next day.
Reply 21
GP did mine in March, removed one side of it. It's grown back thicker and has started growing into the toe again. Went back to GP who did it, she told me to soak it in warm water twice a day for 30 mins a time, and somehow jam a pedicure something or other underneath it to raise it. There's no way it's going under, the nail is growing into the toe. Ended up cutting that part off myself as she said there's no way she's doing it again.

Knowing what I know now, if she'd given me the option to remove the whole nail & the bed (so that it'll never grow back), I'd take that.

Just a personal opinion though.
ipswichblade
Hey there, just wondering whether anyone on here has had surgery on an ingrown toe nail. I'm due to have surgery on November 30th on my big left toe and the doctor I saw for the consultation asked me whether I would a) rather have the whole toe nail removed or b) have both sides removed. I apparently have to decide rather than he telling me which to for from his own opinion and advice.

Now my toe nail and therefore toe is in a bad state, infact it's awful and very painful and starting to get me down. :frown: I can barely walk and I can only wear my wide trainers and no other shoes currently. One side is ingrown and the other is infected by a fungal infection. I've had tablets for both problems and months of waiting and finally found out that surgery is the only option. I am on antibiotics so there is no infection on the ingrown side as well and there it doesn't become infecred prior to the surgery. :frown:

I was told that if I have my whole toe nail removed I am never likely to have a whole toe nail grow back so it won't look too pleasant even when fully healed. If I decide to have just each side of the nail removed than I am not guaranteed that either problem will not return. I don't know which to go for, so has anyone been through something similar?

Thanks. :smile:

Good to see a blade on here :p: and this is so like my story its untrue - I had everything which you describe - and I have severe problems with my feet anyway - I had the surgery on the sides and yes you'll have to take it easy.

Have whatever surgery you feel comefortable with - I had the 'clips' - as in I had a bit taken off each side which may not work - it could be described as more of a delaying procedure - its entirely upto you how you wish to go for it - other than that dont worry the surgery lasts around 15 minutes.
I had it partially done on the sides of both
Reply 23
Waffles
GP did mine in March, removed one side of it. It's grown back thicker and has started growing into the toe again. Went back to GP who did it, she told me to soak it in warm water twice a day for 30 mins a time, and somehow jam a pedicure something or other underneath it to raise it. There's no way it's going under, the nail is growing into the toe. Ended up cutting that part off myself as she said there's no way she's doing it again.

Knowing what I know now, if she'd given me the option to remove the whole nail & the bed (so that it'll never grow back), I'd take that.

Just a personal opinion though.

Thanks. Useful stuff. :smile:
Reply 24
Matthew_Lowson
Good to see a blade on here :p: and this is so like my story its untrue - I had everything which you describe - and I have severe problems with my feet anyway - I had the surgery on the sides and yes you'll have to take it easy.

Have whatever surgery you feel comefortable with - I had the 'clips' - as in I had a bit taken off each side which may not work - it could be described as more of a delaying procedure - its entirely upto you how you wish to go for it - other than that dont worry the surgery lasts around 15 minutes.
I had it partially done on the sides of both

Thanks. :smile:
I've had an ingrowing toenail 3 times, all really badly, very painful with puss etc. As has my father, my mum did the following to prevent us from having the op.

what you will need: TCP, cotton wool and a sterile needle/pin.

1. Get TCP and soak your foot in this solution
2. Use the needle to gently raise the corner of the nailbed
3. Take a small piece of cotton wool and use the needle to push this under the nailbed, as far as it will go
4. Continue to pack more cotton wool under the nail until the nail has been lifted from the nail bed.
5. Each day this process must be repeated, its time consuming and painful, but you dont have to have surgery!
Reply 26
I've had a problem with ingrown toes nails for a very long time. I had an operation on my right big toe in 2004. I was only meant to have one side removed, but they removed both sides of the nail. The left hand side of the nail is fine and has never grown back under, but the right has and is currently once again ingrown. And to top it off my left big toe is now also infected and ingrown (i cut it too short and at an angle), im booked in for surgery next month. This time im having the whole right big toe nail removed, and the left only bi anviual.

And it really doesn't hurt. I took 2 days off school in 2004, but this time round I expect to be back at work the next day!
I had the sides of both my big toe nails removed when I was about 14 or 15 after years of very bad ingrowth. The procedure was straightforward, quick and painless. I had big bandages so had to wear sandals and hobble around on the outsides of my feet, but didn't need any time off school or anything afterwards (went straight back into school for the rest of the day). The pain was already far less than I'd been experiencing before. They were a bit scabby for a few days and I had to bathe them in warm salty water, and I think get checked by the nurse after a week to check everything was ok, but there were no problems. It was a bit weird at first to have narrower nails, but I've gotten used to it - they've never grown back wider and they don't look weird to anyone else. They've been totally fine since.

/epic toe story
Reply 28
Thanks all. :smile:
Reply 29
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I've just got back from seeing a doctor (a new one who I hadn't seen before) and she has advised me, after looking at my toe and toe nail, to have the sides removed and not the whole nail. I am going for this and the surgery has been confirmed for November 30th. :o:

Latest