The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I was reading people's views on this on the BBC Have your Say forum, and I couldn't believe what some of the comments were. There were things like, not having caring people are nurses, more students in debt, a nurses wage only being £15k, what would students learn writing essays anyway.....
A lot of people with an opinion on this are completely missing the point, I think they see a 'nursing degree' as completely theoretical, with no practical involved, just spending three years writing essays on how to care for patients, while not actually doing it for real. They also didn't realise about NHS funding and bursaries.
I don't see why some people are so against nursing degrees, surely it makes sense for a nurse to understand why she is doing something, not just following orders.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Actually...

Hardly 'some journalist'.

No but he certainly has an old fashioned view of nurses, making me to believe it's been a fair while since he's worked on a ward or seen a nurse, and as he's been busy writing books..He's not the only person however, recent articles in the daily mail, bloody clare rayner shouting her mouth off..
Reply 22
Subcutaneous
I think the two can come hand in hand, my first year has been an education over the importance, the science..and the evidence of giving basic care to a patient and also communication/discussions around the concept of care and compassion. I think in all nurses there is a difference, there is a nurse where i work who is lovely, cares for the patients and wants the best for them- but asks me how to take a MSU from a catheter or to send off a sample! Where as i know myself personally im good academically but practically I can sometimes lack common sense, ie forget sheets when changing a bed, or a flannel lol Theres never going to be a nurse with both sides equal, but its also about recognising your strengths and weaknesses and improving on them- again, something the degree will promote furthur around self development as a nurse

I find this very hard to believe, and anyway a degree doesn't tell you how to do those things, training on the job does.
How much has there been recently in the news about abusive nurses/lack of care etc etc I would like to know how it makes any sense to complain about nurses...the majority of which were taught under the old system...then a minute later say that the nursing profession shouldnt change and we should continue to train people in the 'old way'.

Also surprise surpise that a doctor wrote this article, how about he adresses the massive issues in his own profession before bitching about other peoples.

''How will a degree help a frightened patient?'' this is a problem in just nursing? last I heard it was a massive problem among doctors.
Darkness and Mist
How much has there been recently in the news about abusive nurses/lack of care etc etc I would like to know how it makes any sense to complain about nurses...the majority of which were taught under the old system...then a minute later say that the nursing profession shouldnt change and we should continue to train people in the 'old way'.

Also surprise surpise that a doctor wrote this article, how about he adresses the massive issues in his own profession before bitching about other peoples.

I think the major problem lies in the profession not supporting itself. The recent whistleblowing case, the nurse was initially struck off by the NMC via her methods of reporting it, even though it led to an increase in better care in that area, she was the one who got penalised. Luckily, she appealed and has been reinstated, but the profession has this huge divide between old/new nurses, and don't support each others personal development, or when there is someone witnessing bad practice and the other wants to report it, will others back her up? no way! Once the profession can support itself and its colleagues..maybe the public may start showing some degree of respect. Luckily i dont get feedback such as this from all the patients, many write letters in saying thankyou to the nursing staff and are so grateful, if it was this attitude with everyone i don't know how long i'd be in nursing really
Subcutaneous
I think the major problem lies in the profession not supporting itself. The recent whistleblowing case, the nurse was initially struck off by the NMC via her methods of reporting it, even though it led to an increase in better care in that area, she was the one who got penalised. Luckily, she appealed and has been reinstated, but the profession has this huge divide between old/new nurses, and don't support each others personal development, or when there is someone witnessing bad practice and the other wants to report it, will others back her up? no way!

Obviously thats a problem, but the fact is the profession has changed and in a far more technical science based healthcare system, nurses like any other professional do need to advance and learn more than they used too, there will always be resentment and resistence to change, but change needs to happen.
Reply 26
Nurses, along with other allied health professionals, are exactly that: Professionals. Surely that dictates a level of education to degree standard at the very least!
Roodie
Nurses, along with other allied health professionals, are exactly that: Professionals. Surely that dictates a level of education to degree standard at the very least!

you know what though, i think once care assistants start getting regulated by a professional body, and the ****** ones get noticed and not allowed to work (you know the ones, the ones who dont recognise the importance of fluid balance charts, speak to the patients disrespecfully, bad manual han dling..yet if they leave or get fired, they can walk right into another care job) the respect for the nursing profession will improve, right now, i hate to say it, but patients are being seen by HCA's more than the nurses somtetimes especially in the basic and personal care, and a lot of their views come from their experiences with them
Reply 28
There are just as many bad HCAs as there are bad nurses. And you are forgetting the terrible practice and attitude of some student nurses too.
Reply 29
kamc
So we should expect nurses to break their backs by lifting heavy weights? And when since when do nurses not clean up?
Since they got HCAs. :wink:

(That's not generally true, it's a relatively small number who let the side down)
zippyRN
traditional training was not fit for purpose

jinglepupskye

well you would wouldn't you

the sentiment that traditional training was not fit for purpose has been expressed by many traditionally trained nurses...

the same arguement is being played out again current with paramedics and their preparation for practice - it wasn't played out with ODP training moving to HE and ODP registration because the ODP profession had seen the changes and benefits that had happened in Nurse education ...

I wonder if JPS has got beyond being a cross between a character in Johnny Briggs (my mother who's a nurse ...) and a seagull ?
Renal
Since they got HCAs. :wink:

(That's not generally true, it's a relatively small number who let the side down)

no one should be forced to lift heavy weights, there is plenty of equipment and techniques to minimise 'lifting'

and if anyone ever tells you using a hoist takes to long - they aren't using it enough ...like anything increased familiarity improves performance ...

and banana boards are fabulous pieces of kit much under utilised ...

ditto using walking frames as an aid to standing
zippyRN
well you would wouldn't you

the sentiment that traditional training was not fit for purpose has been expressed by many traditionally trained nurses...

the same arguement is being played out again current with paramedics and their preparation for practice - it wasn't played out with ODP training moving to HE and ODP registration because the ODP profession had seen the changes and benefits that had happened in Nurse education ...

I wonder if JPS has got beyond being a cross between a character in Johnny Briggs (my mother who's a nurse ...) and a seagull ?

I see that you still have that chip on your shoulder. I guess you should get it seen to rather than spending time messing with the kids on forums. Don't you have friends your own age to play with?
jinglepupskye
I see that you still have that chip on your shoulder. I guess you should get it seen to rather than spending time messing with the kids on forums. Don't you have friends your own age to play with?

stop being a seagull ...
Reply 35
Nurses bitching at each other, what a rarity.
Trigger
Nurses bitching at each other, what a rarity.

fail ....
Reply 37
zippyRN
fail ....

How?
Trigger
How?

JPS is not a Nurse ...

and appears to have little insight into the practice of Nurses despite claiming to be a Student Health Professional
Reply 39
Hello guys. I've just removed nine posts and I don't want to move any more :sad:

Please keep this thread on topic and be civil. If you find a member annoying then just don't reply to them and/or place them on the ignore list. I (or any other member of the moderation team) will not tolerate personal insults and bitchiness.

This isn't directed at any one member but any post that is off topic will be removed and warned if necessary. Please just have a calm, constructive discussion. Thank you.

Latest