The Student Room Group
Probably more due to the range of subjects you're expected to do.
But you'll get a load of bias on this particular forum.
Reply 2
A Level- keep it clean and real- none of this diploma ****
search function.

Tbh its no harder, just more to learn. depends how many a levels you take really
Reply 4
Just do A levels if you have the choice.
IB is more challenging. IB is going to give you a wide range of subjects (which is really good as you are exposed to different themes etc), but you must be prepared to manage your time efficiently to fit 6 subjects, TOK classes and 150 hours of CAS into it. Not to mention the 4000 word Extended essay :smile:
I wanted to do IB but after I found out about the CAS and essay. . I was so glad I didn't. .
IB all the way - greater breadth with a depth which is just as good as A-Levels. It will distinguish you as a candidate and some universities (like the University of Nottingham) actually say they prefer it over A-Levels.

But, the IB is more hard work - so you have to be prepared for that.
Reply 8
Not much point in the IB no more credit for more work. Just do the extended essay and some community action and that'll be enough. Universities don't really understand the IB enough to fulfill the claim that they are harder or prepare students better
Reply 9
its more challenging no doubt (although if you have 5 or more A2s that may change).

also the exams are tougher (note not more difficult) because you sit for 6 subjects in about 2 weeks (mine were 2.5 weeks) and you are asked to revise for stuff worth 2 years. only 1 year for the A-level since you already sat the AS. that does make a difference.
IB is pretty useless, double the workload and not as easy to get the higer marks that you would get in a levels+ less recognition, i started off doing IB then heard too many scare stories about poeple doing well and not getting good unis/ super nerds getting bad grades! but to answer your question I think it is slightly more academically challenging but loootsss more work :s
Reply 11
toblerone93
IB all the way - greater breadth with a depth which is just as good as A-Levels. It will distinguish you as a candidate and some universities (like the University of Nottingham) actually say they prefer it over A-Levels.

But, the IB is more hard work - so you have to be prepared for that.

Absolute load of **** here. Nottingham doesn't have any preference at all, sorry for 'snapping' but i wanted to know the whether or not to do the IB so i asked my dad (chairman of the governing council) to ask the head of admissions of Nottingham who just said they didn't have any preference and like nearly all the Russel group, they don't really understand it enough to judge whether it is better.
Reply 12
acm345
Absolute load of **** here. Nottingham doesn't have any preference at all, sorry for 'snapping' but i wanted to know the whether or not to do the IB so i asked my dad (chairman of the governing council) to ask the head of admissions of Nottingham who just said they didn't have any preference and like nearly all the Russel group, they don't really understand it enough to judge whether it is better.

i think you are full of ****.

funny that your dad just so happened to speak to the head of admissions of the uni that was given as an example.
Reply 13
danny111
i think you are full of ****.

funny that your dad just so happened to speak to the head of admissions of the uni that was given as an example.

i just told you he's treasurer of Nottingham university and chairman of the council so it was really the only person he could ask. If you don't believe me his portrait is in the main building. It was only funny that you happened to pick an example i definitely know about.
Reply 14
Whatever you do, do not do the IB.
Reply 15
acm345
i just told you he's treasurer of Nottingham university and chairman of the council so it was really the only person he could ask. If you don't believe me his portrait is in the main building. It was only funny that you happened to pick an example i definitely know about.

i wasnt the one giving the example.

and from my experience, my (grammar) school that does IB fared very well with IB offers, and outside the top unis people even got the place though missing the offer by 2 points.

hence even if you are telling the truth, thats only Nottingham and anyway, these days ABB , AAB and even AAA is nothing special anymore. whereas >36 still gets you places >40 youll be offered places wheres with AAA its harder.
From what I've heard, IB is more work for the same credit (or perhaps less credit if it's harder to achieve the top grades)... But I haven't had experience of IB myself.
Reply 17
danny111
i wasnt the one giving the example.

and from my experience, my (grammar) school that does IB fared very well with IB offers, and outside the top unis people even got the place though missing the offer by 2 points.

hence even if you are telling the truth, thats only Nottingham and anyway, these days ABB , AAB and even AAA is nothing special anymore. whereas >36 still gets you places >40 youll be offered places wheres with AAA its harder.

I do agree with you and probably if they had kept the A-levels with a max A grade then the IB would probably be preferred but since they changed it to A*s it will all depend on how many get A*s to be able to compare if IB is harder or prepares you better. Anywho personally i don't think you can go wrong with either, it's not like anywhere will say "well he's a great candidate but he chose A-levels over IB so we won't accept him"

Just for the record though you did give Nottingham as an example :biggrin:
Reply 18
acm345
I do agree with you and probably if they had kept the A-levels with a max A grade then the IB would probably be preferred but since they changed it to A*s it will all depend on how many get A*s to be able to compare if IB is harder or prepares you better. Anywho personally i don't think you can go wrong with either, it's not like anywhere will say "well he's a great candidate but he chose A-levels over IB so we won't accept him"

Just for the record though you did give Nottingham as an example :biggrin:

fair dos. i agree with you there.

and no, i really didn. that was somehow else. i just said it was a great coincidence that ur dad happens to work at there. not that it changes much whether it was me or someone else.
If you can do A levels do them. Sooo much easier :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending