The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1
newman24x
Do PG students require to take the GRE test to enter Oxford?

No.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
hobnob
No.

Yes they do for some subjects. Economics being one for example.
Reply 3
Rob L
Yes they do for some subjects. Economics being one for example.

Oops, you're right.:s-smilie: Is that a recent change? I was pretty certain they used to tell applicants not to bother with the GRE at all.
Reply 4
hobnob
Oops, you're right.:s-smilie: Is that a recent change? I was pretty certain they used to tell applicants not to bother with the GRE at all.

I don't know. I only know it for Economics since I applied to Oxford this cycle and am keeping my fingers crossed. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Rob L
I don't know. I only know it for Economics since I applied to Oxford this cycle and am keeping my fingers crossed. :biggrin:

is it compulsory/necessary? what if the GRE test is low? Will it hurt the chance to enter the uni?
Reply 6
newman24x
is it compulsory/necessary? what if the GRE test is low? Will it hurt the chance to enter the uni?

In Economics anything below 780 in the math part is a negative signal for the best universities. And yes it is compulsory.
Reply 7
Rob L
In Economics anything below 780 in the math part is a negative signal for the best universities. And yes it is compulsory.

oh no...:frown:

is it difficult?
Reply 8
newman24x
oh no...:frown:

is it difficult?

No it isn't difficult. 10% of all GRE takers get 780 or above every year. You can significantly increase your score by practicing... a LOT. Verbal doesn't really matter much. AWA you should have better than 4.0 in my opinion. The math part is by far the most vital part of the GRE though.
hobnob

"Undergraduate degree with a first- or upper second-class honours or equivalent. Applicants who do not hold, or will not shortly hold, a UK undergraduate degree must submit the results of a recent GRE General Test"

So it depends on your circumstances.
Reply 10
davidcy147
"Undergraduate degree with a first- or upper second-class honours or equivalent. Applicants who do not hold, or will not shortly hold, a UK undergraduate degree must submit the results of a recent GRE General Test"

Yes, I read that, it's just that I could have sworn that it used to say something else.:s-smilie:
hobnob
Yes, I read that, it's just that I could have sworn that it used to say something else.:s-smilie:

What did you think it used to say?
Reply 12
davidcy147
What did you think it used to say?

I *think* they used to advise international applicants not to send them their GRE results / not to bother taking it for Oxford's sake (I'm fairly sure I came across it in one of the FAQ sections). Obviously it no longer matters, though.:dontknow:
hobnob
I *think* they used to advise international applicants not to send them their GRE results / not to bother taking it for Oxford's sake (I'm fairly sure I came across it in one of the FAQ sections). Obviously it no longer matters, though.:dontknow:

Ah, fair enough. I suppose things change. Although a notice about the change would be nice....Oxford. :p:
Reply 14
hobnob

really?? linky please.
Reply 15
newman24x
really?? linky please.

You've bolded the wrong part of that sentence. The key phrase is used to. Clearly this no longer applies.:dontknow:
Reply 16
I just wrote my GRE and scored a 780 on Quant and a 540 on Verbal. Do I stand a chance for the MFE? My GPA is around 3.6 and I have a research paper as well
Reply 17
davidcy147

Well I got the link that you quoted from here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/economics.html

It did say specifically that a candidate outside of the UK need to submit the GRE test result (on the right panel of the page)

As i'm applying for Computer Science, i went to the same page for the CS section:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/computer_science.html

but all it mentioned was:
"Good undergraduate degree
(upper second class or above)"

The funny thing here is that the admission team for CS did emailed me regarding the GRE test whether i have done it/planning on doing it or if have they would like to know my GRE results. I'm a bit confused here :s-smilie: To the best of my knowledge there's no requirements for the GRE for MSc CS..
Reply 18
newman24x
The funny thing here is that the admission team for CS did emailed me regarding the GRE test whether i have done it/planning on doing it or if have they would like to know my GRE results. I'm a bit confused here :s-smilie: To the best of my knowledge there's no requirements for the GRE for MSc CS..

http://web2.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/courses/grad09-10/gre.pdf
You don't *have* to do it, but they "ask overseas applicants to consider it", i.e. they recommend it.
Didn't you read the faculty website at all?
Reply 19
hobnob
http://web2.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/courses/grad09-10/gre.pdf
You don't *have* to do it, but they "ask overseas applicants to consider it", i.e. they recommend it.

Didn't you read the faculty website at all?

LOL! i did! i overlooked it perhaps :frown: :o:

Well at least it's not compulsory. Thanks though! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending