The Student Room Group

Drinking in Public - Criminal record?

Hey, I'm not sure which forum to post this in, so mods, feel free to move it.

I was written up last night for having a cup of champagne in my hand on the street. It's a £40 fine which is bad enough. But the cop asked me if I had been written up for the same offense before, which I had. He told me that if it was less than 6 month ago, it'd go on my criminal record and I might be facing a huge £800 fine. I thought i'd last been caught in early May and that I was fine. But when I came home I checked my ticket and it turns out it was May 21s. Since I was now written up on November 20th, that seems to be exactly one day within the 6 Month (15 minutes actually, because it was close to midnight).

Does that seriously mean I get a record now? Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything I can do about it? Do you think it's be worth going down to the police and talking to them about it? Maybe I can get around it somehow...

I don't know, just hoping for any kind of advice really, this is freaking me out!
You can get fined for drinking on the street!? Really!? ****, I've done this on numerous occasions.
Reply 2
eh? didnt even realise you werent allowed to drink alcohol in public!
Why did you do it again?
You couldn't even wait 15 minutes. Alcoholic.
Reply 5
edmhaslam
eh? didnt even realise you werent allowed to drink alcohol in public!

Only in designated "no drinking" areas (mostly town centres and a few trouble spots). If you've been caught for it once, doing it again does seem rather stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending