The Student Room Group

The SEO 09/10

Scroll to see replies

StraightDrive
I don't get why people go to SEO. Would you rather not be hired on your own merit rather than simply because you're a minority?

Racial discrimination always helps out some groups of people. And as long as it's the 'right', PC version of racism, i.e. against those nasty white people, all these liberal students on TSR who would otherwise balk at such a racist scheme, will turn a blind eye to the unfair discrimination it involves.

Nice huh? :lolwut:
Reply 81
mufc4life
Hey, I received the same message, and attended the same AC. Im applying for IBD M&A Advisory.

I thought if we passed the assessment centre then the internship would be in the bag.....:no:

That's what I thought but I think they are trying to place us with Banks at the moment. So it is a case whether they think we are suited to a particular bank and if that bank also likes the candidate. Therefore there may be further interviews or meetings on the banks part. In the worst case, the candidate might have done well but no bank wants them meaning that they might need to go another SEO assessment.

Does anyone have any different opinions.
Reply 82
Has anyone recieved a Summer offer yet?
Reply 83
Ope
That's what I thought but I think they are trying to place us with Banks at the moment. So it is a case whether they think we are suited to a particular bank and if that bank also likes the candidate. Therefore there may be further interviews or meetings on the banks part. In the worst case, the candidate might have done well but no bank wants them meaning that they might need to go another SEO assessment.

Does anyone have any different opinions.

Yes this seems accurate.

I think were most likely to get an offer from the bank we interviewed with in which case another interview is unnecessary. We may be called for meetings with that bank but it will be more of an opportunity to meet and greet sort of thing methinks, depending on how that bank operates (they all do this part differently, or so I am led to believe).

The worst case scenario from here is if the bank we interviewed with weren't impressed with us then SEO will call us to the second IBD AC in January to be interviewed with different banks to increase our exposure and hence give us another chance to perform at interview stage.

The problem is we may be called to a second AC even if the first bank we interviewed with actually likes us, and for those of us with January exams, this is not helpful :eek3:

This is my understanding, feel free to correct me.
Reply 84
anybody applied to operations as their first choice?
Reply 85
how's the seo numerical test on shl.com? is it similar to the trial?
Reply 86
The test isn't too bad...slightly harder than the practice ones I'd say. But nothing different, just pushed for time as always!
Reply 87
got an e-mail about being Shortlisted for the December 8th AC.

does this mean i would def get invited to the AC?
Jibzy

Probably not because it was almost 3 weeks ago?
Reply 89
sorry AC is January 8th
Jibzy
sorry AC is January 8th

Was that for IBD?
Reply 91
Well i applied for Research. they told me that the next AC is on the 8th of january.
Reply 92
I am confused how SEO works...

Different people got allocated to have AC at different banks. Does that mean the bank they've got allocated to is the bank SEO think you will be fitted?

(Didn't apply to SEO but just curious as I know people who were interviewed at GS and ML)
Reply 93
Jibzy

Yeah it does.
Reply 94
Shushi
I am confused how SEO works...

Different people got allocated to have AC at different banks. Does that mean the bank they've got allocated to is the bank SEO think you will be fitted?

(Didn't apply to SEO but just curious as I know people who were interviewed at GS and ML)

I dont know how they decide who you interview with, but its true that the firm you do interview with on the day of your SEO AC, is the partner bank that you are most likely to get an internship with assuming you excel in that interview.

They may also call you back to another AC to interview with another bank/forward your CV to other partner banks to increase your chances.

I do not know who makes the decision of who interviews with who.
Prince, good post.

Do you know if S+T ACs have started?
Prince of Zamunda
There was an S&T AC on Dec 4 and an IBD/AM AC on Dec 15. The second ACs will be in Jan.

Cool. I haven't heard anything, need to chase them up.
Reply 97
So whats all the pointless negative rep about? lets not be silly. fools.
Reply 98
Prince of Zamunda
Apply to SEO -> Numerical -> Surprise phone interview -> AC

At the AC, every candidate goes through one interview and one individual case study. Senior people (usually ED/MD level I believe) from the partner banks will be conducting the interviews and case studies (all in one location). If your friend interviewed with GS and ML, it's likely his interview was with a rep from GS while his case study was with a rep from ML. Sometimes, interviews/case studies might be 2 on 1 so someone could interview with reps from GS and BarCap, and have a case study with reps from JPM and BOAML.

At the end of the AC, all the bank reps get together with the SEO reps and can preference any candidates they saw. If candidates are preferenced highly by more than one bank, the candidate is asked to rank all partner banks according to his preference then will be matched with his highest preference bank who preferenced him highly. Sometimes if a bank is unable to make a decision on a candidate, they may invite the person down to their London office for further interviews. Also, if a candidate from the first AC performed sufficiently well but wasn't preferenced highly by any bank who met him, they may be invited to another AC to give him exposure to more banks. There are two ACs in total, one in Dec and another one in Jan. First cycle SEO applicants (applied between Sep and Nov) are usually considered for the Dec AC, while second cycle applicants (applied between Nov and the Dec deadline) are considered for the Jan AC.
No idea on how they decide which bank rep you actually interview/have your case study with on the day.

At least that's how it is for S&T/IBD in London. I've heard of up to 5 on 1 panel interviews in SEO NY.

For ops/finance/professional services (big 4), it's
Apply to SEO -> Numerical test -> Invite to an AC with a partner bank (along with non-SEO candidates).

Thanks ^^

I would say that system is a bit flawed. How can a bank judge how good you are based on one interview and one case study?

(esp if you consider how many interviews we actually went through with JPM :p:)
Reply 99
The thing is that these IBs have a high employee turnover. You gotta remember they're hiring every year so they pretty know what they're looking for and are good at spotting it in a person,... even if it might be an inkling of suitability masked by fatigue and stress.

And also they may be trying to simulate stressful conditions you might one day have to work under to see if you can operate efficiently still.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending