The Student Room Group

Why is being selective about faces ok, but body = shallow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hugh-Jackman
there's no difference.

It's like if a thread of a fat girl was posted and the lads said that's disgusting look how fat she is blah blah all the girls would go mad etc and say how shallow the blokes are.

Yet if a bodybuilder was posted they'd be the first to say how disgusting it is and how sick they feel, it's exactly the same.

But in their heads they think they're some liberal free spirit if they defend fatties. But other body types are OK to show your disgust.

I'm neither fat or thin! really could do with losing half a stone of fat really.

Pretty much this.

The thread was only made as I find it rather illogical

and since I couldn't figure it out, asked the lovely TSR public for some insight into the logic of others.

that is all.
Reply 21
Adonis
How was the thread ANYTHING to do with my life?

It was just an observation

one that wasn't logical [to me]

Just because it wasn't eloquently put you somehow think my life needs sorting?

jeez

you are a grown man and you talk about whether girls judge face or six pack more (or something similar)..

god
Reply 22
Adonis I'l be honest from what I saw of your pic your face isn't ugly imo, not good looking but not ugly, just average in all honesty 5/10. Just one girls opinion, so stop the insecure threads :smile:

Just as all guys like different types of girls, girls like different types of guys some love very muscular bodies and others find them a turn off. Whats the point in keep posting threads about your body? Though I do admire your determination at the gym :smile:
Reply 23
lostintime
Adonis I'l be honest from what I saw of your pic your face isn't ugly imo, not good looking but not ugly, just average in all honesty 5/10. Just one girls opinion, so stop the insecure threads :smile:

Just as all guys like different types of girls, girls like different types of guys some love very muscular bodies and others find them a turn off. Whats the point in keep posting threads about your body? Though I do admire your determination at the gym :smile:

OMG

where the **** did insecurity in this thread stem from? [and others i've made]

did I ask the Q based on insecurity? no

did i even ******* ask, "hey girls, do u go for faces or body"

no, i asked as a case of curiousity on logic

even IF i asked, hey girls what do u think of X/Y/Z

it doesn't auto-mean PLEASE VALIDATE THIS

i am just merely curious about thought-processes

even if they have zero relevance to me
We get it, you think you're in good shape... but you're not.
I don't really know why you can afford to be shallow, or obsess about appearances so much.
I'm not trying to have a go, but you do you actually get a lot of girls?
Reply 26
You have such a peculiar writing format.
Good point. As several people've commented, judging faces is just as shallow but seems to be far more socially acceptable.
Reply 28
I don't think that's true really. People generally understand if you reject someone based on their ugly face or overweight body.

Maybe you should have asked: why is it okay to reject a guy based on his ugly face but not based on his penis size? Both are something they cannot help.
Reply 29
Retrospect
Good point. As several people've commented, judging faces is just as shallow but seems to be far more socially acceptable.

I'm sorry - where are you from? Newspapers are filled with articles about how overweight people are a threat to society and medical resources. This is perfectly acceptable - after all, it's their own fault for overeating, yeah? That is what "society'' thinks, anyway.
Reply 30
People only call you ugly because they see how vain you are and it annoys them (e.g. pouting in photos, going on about "fat girls" all the time, obsessing over appearance), and it's easier to attack your face than your body because you're obviously so proud of your body. You're not actually ugly.

In answer to the question at hand: I guess I think caring about the body is more shallow because I relate bodily attraction to sex and facial attraction to conversation/companionship. But that's partly because when I find a face attractive it's often to do with the person having kind eyes or a friendly smile. I'd rather someone had a face I liked to look at than a body I found desirable, because sex is less important to me than other aspects of a relationship.
Reply 31
Agree with the OP but tbh when has social interaction ever made sense?

Human beings by nature are complex and sometimes irrational creatures so this is no different.
Reply 32
I cba with this thread anymore.

since few people get it like;

Retrospect

but most can't actually answer the damn question without it being a 'I hate Adonis' thread.
I don't think Adonis has done anything wrong here actually. People on TSR just can't accept others opinions when it's different to their own, especially the girls. No offence though.

Adonis
I cba with this thread anymore.

since few people get it like;

but most can't actually answer the damn question without it being a 'I hate Adonis' thread.
Reply 34
Adonis
LOL

I love how illogical some people are

my latest negs.

you're always moaning about what fat girls think, man up and grow a pair. p.s you're ugly

-----------------

whinger you sound so insecure about your choices, who gives a damn, no fat chick gives a crap whether you find her attractive you're just some loser who overcompensates at the gym.

In this particular case, girls (generally) are in denial. They aren't as humane as they think they are.
Because if you're too picky about body it implies you just want her for sex. The face is more like the identity of the person and it's the one that will mostly stay the same throughout the persons life. If you don't like a face there's no way you can like someone.
Reply 36
Adonis
OMG

where the **** did insecurity in this thread stem from? [and others i've made]

did I ask the Q based on insecurity? no

did i even ******* ask, "hey girls, do u go for faces or body"

no, i asked as a case of curiousity on logic

even IF i asked, hey girls what do u think of X/Y/Z

it doesn't auto-mean PLEASE VALIDATE THIS

i am just merely curious about thought-processes

even if they have zero relevance to me

lol ok don't get all excited sorry but based on all your other self related threads it seemed like another question where you would relate the answers to yourself. I remember you said you were insecure in one of your threads threads I was trying to be nice but I can see how I was annoying instead.

To answer the question well I don't think its a simple case of the face is unchangable but the body can be changed. Faces can be made to look different and can be altered by lifestyle to an extent also. Eyebrow shaping, bags under eyes, make up, loss of weight, tanning, hair style can make a face look very different and can mean the difference between ugly and attractive for some. Also the face can reflect personality, someone who smiles a lot will seem a lot more approachable/pleasant with a better personality than someone who looks miserable all day.

Unlike a body, personality can be seen through a face so being selective about this makes more sense, in terms of choosing for a proper relationship, than just being selective about a body -which would probably indicate nothing more than sexual interest ie: being shallow as they say.
IMO people are selective about faces because the inital attraction has to be there, your body shape can change if you want it to but without cosmetic surgery your face will remain the same. Rejecting a beautiful female/male with a fantastic personality because their body shape ins't your ideal can be seen as shallow but you do need to be attracted to the whole package I suppose. You shouldn't be with someone if you want to change what they look like or how they act, any time spent dieting or in the gym should come from the individual not extrenal pressures.

That neg rep you posted was pretty harsh, I do beleive you were asking out of curiousity rather than insecurity. I am guessing your conduct on other threads makes you an easy target.
Reply 38
PrincessJasmine
IMO people are selective about faces because the inital attraction has to be there, your body shape can change if you want it to but without cosmetic surgery your face will remain the same. Rejecting a beautiful female/male with a fantastic personality because their body shape ins't your ideal can be seen as shallow but you do need to be attracted to the whole package I suppose. You shouldn't be with someone if you want to change what they look like or how they act, any time spent dieting or in the gym should come from the individual not extrenal pressures.

That neg rep you posted was pretty harsh, I do beleive you were asking out of curiousity rather than insecurity. I am guessing your conduct on other threads makes you an easy target.

I know I said I'm out, but since you providing me with the sweet sweet hypocrisy

I had to reply.

Tell me again, why is more acceptable and not deemed shallow

to say "oh I just wasn't attracted to their face" but the rest was find (or could be fine, but I didn't find out)

when the face, is pure genetics, sure you can do ur hair a certain way, etc .. but it's more genetics than a body is.

but not acceptable to say "sorry hot person, ur just 10lbs too heavy"

the face, u can't change, the body you can.

& a body is very telling that you are active, etc .. (or just good genetics, but it's more cos they worked for it) a very isn't always clear-cut, basing wheter someone is "sweet" based on an external cue such as a 'sweet looking face' isn't superficial how?

If you can't reject someone (or seen as bad to) based on their body, why can you reject or not even go for them based on their face? when it's clear u can't do nowt bout ur face? (to any great degree)

Isn't it shallow to say for example "I don't like Adonis. cos he has acne scars"

My acne is cos of hormones, it's getting better ...

no-one would have a hissy fit if a girl said no to me based on that

but if I were tubby (I know, right?) and a girl was like eww no, he's too chubby

it'd be omg superficial bitch !!

care to explain the hypocrisy here?
Adonis
I know I said I'm out, but since you providing me with the sweet sweet hypocrisy

I had to reply.

Tell me again, why is more acceptable and not deemed shallow

to say "oh I just wasn't attracted to their face" but the rest was find (or could be fine, but I didn't find out)

when the face, is pure genetics, sure you can do ur hair a certain way, etc .. but it's more genetics than a body is.

but not acceptable to say "sorry hot person, ur just 10lbs too heavy"

the face, u can't change, the body you can.

& a body is very telling that you are active, etc .. (or just good genetics, but it's more cos they worked for it) a very isn't always clear-cut, basing wheter someone is "sweet" based on an external cue such as a 'sweet looking face' isn't superficial how?

If you can't reject someone (or seen as bad to) based on their body, why can you reject or not even go for them based on their face? when it's clear u can't do nowt bout ur face? (to any great degree)

Isn't it shallow to say for example "I don't like Adonis. cos he has acne scars"

My acne is cos of hormones, it's getting better ...

no-one would have a hissy fit if a girl said no to me based on that

but if I were tubby (I know, right?) and a girl was like eww no, he's too chubby

it'd be omg superficial bitch !!

care to explain the hypocrisy here?

Gladly how is it hypocrisy on my part? I didn't say I judged people in that manner, I said I understood it. There is a clear difference. Imagine the scenario: very attractive girl facially yet body a bit too large for you taste vs a perfect body in your opinion but the face so bad you couldn't stand to look at. Which one would you prefer? people do need the inital attraction to want to pursue anything further, perhaps a reason why internet dating is so popular, you fall for the personality before the looks and when you meet the looks are no lnoger important.

I did say both could be deemed shallow if you wanted to define it. IMO the reason people critise you is because you openly slate many people on here but can't seem to take the critism back at all. You are entitled to your opinion and what you consider level of beauty, it is the way you carry on that encourages people to respond to you in the negative.

So you don't like bigger girls, plenty people don't but you don't need to go on about it so much. I personally would find an unattractive face much more of a turn off then a chubby or slender male. Perhaps people laugh at you on here because you slate people so much yet have very obvious flaws yourself, which normally screams insecurity if you have to mention others.

You openly admit that girls say to you they don't find you attractive and are only interested in your body. You are providing people with the ammunition to personally attack you. I would be mortified if any male said to me I was too ugly for a relationship but fine to shag, I have a more self respect than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending