The Student Room Group

Germany 1800-1900 depth study coursework Edexcel - Wilhlem II

Greetings I am currently in the process of writing up my coursework and I would appreciate any input/advice/positive criticism you braniacs have to give :smile:

Having looked through this specific section of the forum, I have concluded that there is no other topics dedicated to this specific piece of coursework from the Edexcel exam board, it is concerned with the depth study of Germany 1800-1900 and the title is as follows:

Essay Title: 'In considering the making of Modern Germany in the years 1800-1900 how far do you regard the accession of Wilhelm II as a key turning point in the process?'

We have been advised to dedicate two-thirds of the essay to the Accession
and one third to the breakdown of the time line, specifically the key dates: 1815 (german confederation); 1848 (year of the revolutions);1871 (declaration of the german empire)

We have been told there is no specific historiography requirement for the essay also that,

We should define the essay in terms of Economic issues, Social issues, and Political issues, with the weight of the essay focused on the political backwardness of Germany as a result of the prolonged autocracy under Wilhlem II. (anachronistic + regressive)

Thanks for any fourthcoming advice people, really is appreciated :smile:
Well I guess you could add the following points associated with this time period
Realpolitik is associated with Bismarck but
Weltpolitik is associated as a development through Von Bulow

This policy, it has been argued, formed the basis of some of the expansionary aims Germany had. Germany wanted to become a World power, perhaps even more than the British. Wilhelm believed that their world prestige was not as great as the British (he had a love-hate relationship with the Brits as well). I think Weltpolitik has a huge part to play in the shaping of Modern Germany till 1917
Other key themes or people to look at apart from them include
- Bethmann Hollweg
- Schlieffen Plan
- Austro-Hungary and Ottoman Empire's position with Germany
Reply 2
So is your coursework on the rise of prussia to form Germany?
Reply 3
Stricof
Well I guess you could add the following points associated with this time period
Realpolitik is associated with Bismarck but
Weltpolitik is associated as a development through Von Bulow

This policy, it has been argued, formed the basis of some of the expansionary aims Germany had. Germany wanted to become a World power, perhaps even more than the British. Wilhelm believed that their world prestige was not as great as the British (he had a love-hate relationship with the Brits as well). I think Weltpolitik has a huge part to play in the shaping of Modern Germany till 1917
Other key themes or people to look at apart from them include
- Bethmann Hollweg
- Schlieffen Plan
- Austro-Hungary and Ottoman Empire's position with Germany

Thanks, funnily enough this piece of work has to be in in 3 weeks, and the teacher isn't marking it at all because it's illegal as you probably know. He is also unsure whether we should include foreign policy in this essay, which as you can guess fills me full of hope!

He has expressed that if it is to include foreign policy, the essay will be entirely different than if it were to be excluded.

:o:
Reply 4
tknight7
So is your coursework on the rise of prussia to form Germany?

Hey, I am not really sure, I imagine so, its what's called a depth study over a period of 100 years, the question i think when simplified is asking 'germany has modernised by 1900, but how far do you think the accession was a key turning point in this modernisation process, then i would try to define the modernisation in terms of social, political and economic issues, and its the politically regressive nature of Wilhelm that is prolonging the autocracy making it anachronistic. Socially, Germany had issues as the middle class was barred out from politics even though they were billionaires......and economically, Germany was pretty much modernised in 1888 (the accession) ....as much modernised as it was going to be by 1900 anyway!

:smile:
Jakko247
Thanks, funnily enough this piece of work has to be in in 3 weeks, and the teacher isn't marking it at all because it's illegal as you probably know. He is also unsure whether we should include foreign policy in this essay, which as you can guess fills me full of hope!

He has expressed that if it is to include foreign policy, the essay will be entirely different than if it were to be excluded.

Do what you believe is strongest in your opinion. If you feel you can write an essay including foreign policy real well then do it. Also, ask your teacher to mark on structure not on content. That isn't illegal i thought, although I would check it.
Reply 6
Jakko247
Hey, I am not really sure, I imagine so, its what's called a depth study over a period of 100 years, the question i think when simplified is asking 'germany has modernised by 1900, but how far do you think the accession was a key turning point in this modernisation process, then i would try to define the modernisation in terms of social, political and economic issues, and its the politically regressive nature of Wilhelm that is prolonging the autocracy making it anachronistic. Socially, Germany had issues as the middle class was barred out from politics even though they were billionaires......and economically, Germany was pretty much modernised in 1888 (the accession) ....as much modernised as it was going to be by 1900 anyway!

:smile:

Well if ya want any help with 1815-1871 just give me a PM with ya email address and il send you some of my old essays/notes if ya want? :flip: Its a great period to learn actually - i thought i would find it really boring, but i was quite suprised!
You guys are lucky - at my school we did edexcel too, but we didn't have the option of cw and had to sit a stupidly hard synoptic paper instead - i c*cked that up, and it cost me my uni place last year :yucky:
Reply 7
tknight7
Well if ya want any help with 1815-1871 just give me a PM with ya email address and il send you some of my old essays/notes if ya want? :flip: Its a great period to learn actually - i thought i would find it really boring, but i was quite suprised!
You guys are lucky - at my school we did edexcel too, but we didn't have the option of cw and had to sit a stupidly hard synoptic paper instead - i c*cked that up, and it cost me my uni place last year :yucky:

Thanks, I would be so greatful for that !
I am also finding it a very interesting topic, it makes learning it far more easy/enjoyable. I also found Russia 1800-1940 very interesting and my favourite study period! unlike anglo-irish relations (IRA, sinn fein, gladstone, disraeli, IPP etc! haha) :confused:

I have to resit both Russia and anglo-irish relations this coming january as I broke my ankle in the run up to the exams! and was in hospital at the time of the exams haha. :smile:
Reply 8
Stricof
Do what you believe is strongest in your opinion. If you feel you can write an essay including foreign policy real well then do it. Also, ask your teacher to mark on structure not on content. That isn't illegal i thought, although I would check it.

Thanks for that advice!
I will inform the illinformed teacher haha! i was the one who had to tell him there was a 4000 word limit on these two essay courseworks! you just can't get the staff lately! he is just holding out for his pension, so he's become apathetic about chasing grades etc....I don't think he checks up on new specifications, rules and regulations, which is detrimental to me and the class! but oh well!

Latest

Trending

Trending