The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am concerned that university admissions tutors look here so that is why I got a name change requested.

Also - I don't want to get done for slander as I have written a lot of PPPs (poison pen posts) about my last university.
Reply 41
bigmo7
:rofl:

Loving the sig btw! A jealous Ronaldo (it is him right?) :p:

yep it is. :biggrin:
wrooru
some people on this forum are hellbent in keeping their TSR account secret from people irl. most notably the people with the best accounts (high reputation, high post count, 'famous' on this website, moderators, so on and so forth). surely if people spend (or waste) hours of their life on TSR, people IRL will wonder what you are doing in your time? is it not an achievement that you should show off if you have lots of reputation and lots of posts on a student internet forum? honestly, I dont get why some people are so secretive about their TSR account to people irl when there is no need to be:s-smilie:

No. Not it any way shape or form. If anything it is an anti-achievement.
Because it is quite an embarassing thing to be a member of.
CrazyPyramid
No. Not it any way shape or form. If anything it is an anti-achievement.

I agree. I didn't set out to have 3000 odd posts and my current reputation when I joined TSR. I think it is just the by-product of currently being out of education and nothing I am proud of.
I couldn't possibly tell you why I'm so determined that my TSR account can't be linked to my real life.
It's because a lot of people are afraid that if anyone finds out they will poo poo them for being a part of this community. :yes:
I bring TSR up in conversation sometimes, but I feel like I should only if I'm talking about uni. Like, say I wanted to see what Bristol uni was like and I had a check on TSR to see what people said about it - I would then share this with other people if it arose.

One of the worse things I have very nearly done on many occasion is when listening to an opinion someone gives, remembering the same opinion being given on TSR and then saying something like 'oh yeah someone else was saying that'. It inevitably leads to the question of who, then if you say TSR you look like a complete loser:P
Reply 48
Meh, I only came on here for coursework help. And I stayed. It's not something I'd hide and it's not something I'd yell to the world.
Cultivated
.. Which is why I ain't coming to any of the TSR meets :colondollar:

lol, you should still come though, it'll be fun. Besides you'll liven the plce up a bit :smile:
wrooru
some people on this forum are hellbent in keeping their TSR account secret from people irl. most notably the people with the best accounts (high reputation, high post count, 'famous' on this website, moderators, so on and so forth). surely if people spend (or waste) hours of their life on TSR, people IRL will wonder what you are doing in your time? is it not an achievement that you should show off if you have lots of reputation and lots of posts on a student internet forum? honestly, I dont get why some people are so secretive about their TSR account to people irl when there is no need to be:s-smilie:

I am one of those who tries not to reveal identifiable information - pictures etc.

It's not about being secretive about how much time I spend on here - I don't come one here everyday anyway - but I was bullied at school, and other stuff, so I'd rather not be able to be identified completely. I quite like TSR for a number of reasons so wana be able to come on and talk with zero hassle.

I have a feeling that some people on here know who I am but that's fine provided that I don't get any hassle from it :smile:

(I know I'm 21 but it does still worry me a bit)
Reply 51
It comes down to people think they can act differently on the internet than they would in real life and I think a lot of the time the internet is worse off for it

20~ people on here have met with in real life and it's never been a problem. I think it's pretty funny that people post stuff they're ashamed to be associated with.
Reply 52
I mention TSR to friends, and I'd be really easy to find, although I've said quite a few things (in one chat thread, in particular) that I'd rather them not see. Essentially I rely on the people who would make a big deal out of certain things I've said being too lazy to go looking.

On some other forums I'm in I signed up with a different username to my usual one, because I wasn't out yet. Nowadays I don't bother hiding who I am.
Reply 53
The most obvious answer is that people act differently on the internet. You can be a different person on here if you want due to anonymity. Also, some people use TSR to vent about things that happen in IRL and wouldn't want people they know to find out about this.
I don't care, someone I know did recognise me on here =D
I don't really mind :h: well, I'm pretty sure my friends know I come on somewhere like this, they just don't know the exact place and I'm fairly sure they don't care either. I haven't really posted anything on here that I'd want to hide, or I wouldn't post it :p: it'd just be weird, most people I know don't really use forums so I'm a bit out of the ordinary in that respect, but meh.

Plus I doubt they "wonder where I am", considering I see my friends at least once every day :rolleyes:

Though, the other day I was in the 6th form IT room and some people from the year above were behind me talking about RHUL offers or something, and one of them went "check on the TSR :bsmle:" and they all started slagging it off! I was like, oh ****, now would be THE worst time >_<
Reply 56
I think I generally don't have anything to say that I would mind other people seeing. I have written a couple of stupid or weird posts that I'd rather didn't surface, but no one will ever go looking for them.

The idea that someone has written several posts on a forum is apparently very weird to non-forumers though. Someone in my sixth form introduced me to this website as a university research resource. They happened to see that about two months after they had first shown me the website I had written just over 100 posts. This was shocking - over 100 posts?! Do I live on this forum?!
Undiscovery
I am concerned that university admissions tutors look here so that is why I got a name change requested.

Also - I don't want to get done for slander as I have written a lot of PPPs (poison pen posts) about my last university.

How can universities find you through your username? :s-smilie: It's not as if you've written 'Hi, I am Undiscovery @ TSR" on your personal statement and the search function only works on usernames ..
Cultivated
How can universities find you through your username? .

A quick look at old posts is surprisingly effective.
We know from your posts that you are female, 19 years old, 5 foot tall, brown skinned, have long hair, your name may be Heifa,
you are Muslim, and are quarter Colombian and half Arab.

And if the university in question, has interviews it would be easy to figure out who you were.
flugestuge
A quick look at old posts is surprisingly effective.
We know from your posts that you are female, 19 years old, 5 foot tall, brown skinned, have long hair, your name may be Heifa,
you are Muslim, and are quarter Colombian and half Arab.

And if the university in question, has interviews it would be easy to figure out who you were.

I'm pretty screwed, huh? :erm:

Latest

Trending

Trending