The Student Room Group

Ba (hons) Fashion Design In Central Saint Martins

Hi everyone!
I am new at students room and I have some questions about above subject..
Is it compulsory to have study and/or work experience to be able to be admitted to Ba Hons Fashion course(womenswear) in CSM?Besides portfolio do I have to get studied/worked in fashion before?
I well know how it is hard to get into this course..I have no work/study experience in this field.But but I am really confident that my portfolio is strong even I have national&international awards in fashion.
Especially if anyone from CSM could reply to me,I will be happy.Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Firstly, I underwent this course at CSM. To put it simply, it's not a requirement to have undergone any fashion experience. I would suggest, if you haven't already, viewing the course section on the CSM website, paying particular attention to the course leaflet:

http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/fashion.htm

http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/docs/course-info/ba-fashion-design-course-info.pdf

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much!!!I have read all threads about subject matter and seen that you replied all questions asap,very helpful you are,many thanks again..
I was told by international office that with no study&work experience it is not possible to enter to this course.I think most important criteria should be portfolio,do you too think so??I will make it certain this matter with int.office again....
Another question,how is it possible to take a part in London fashion week as a CSM fashion graduate??I think everyone has not equal chance to take part in final graduate show?How do the tutors determine which students take part in there?Especially as per international students side?
I am international so I will send my portfolio by postal.Do you think best way to present it by cd OR sketchbook?
I have not techinal drawings,I have artistics drawings only,do you think that it is a problem?
Is it possible to work parttime during study?Internationals have 20 hours permit only..I know you were also international,what do you suggest to me?
Sorry for many questions & many thanks for your help:smile:
Reply 3
MARE
Thank you so much!!!I have read all threads about subject matter and seen that you replied all questions asap,very helpful you are,many thanks again..

Not a problem and I'm glad my advice elsewhere on this forum has been of some use. :smile:

When I say 'fashion experience', I'm referring to working in the fashion industry, in some capacity. From my understanding, they do not expect this from you to gain acceptance onto the course. The wide majority of the students that entered my course were new to fashion design, let alone working in the industry as one. Many came directly from CSM's foundation course, which endeavoured to teach them the general principles of art and design (so, a mixture of everything, ranging from fine art to graphic design, not just fashion design). As such, CSM will not be looking for a portfolio of work that is strictly fashion design orientated, nor will they be looking for finished pieces only. They are far more interested in the development of your ideas leading up to your final piece. In other words, your creative process. This is detailed in the course leaflet I linked above.

I was told by international office that with no study&work experience it is not possible to enter to this course.I think most important criteria should be portfolio,do you too think so??I will make it certain this matter with int.office again....

I can't comment on what the international office told you, only from my own experience when I gained acceptance and from what students on the course told me. Furthermore, the CSM website does list everything you need to know regarding entry under the 'Entry Requirements' tab. As you've rightly stated, the primary criteria for entry will be your portfolio of work. It does not state anywhere that you need prior work experience. In retrospect, maybe I misunderstood what you meant when you said 'fashion experience'. In any case, it's also not a requirement to be a fully fledged fashion designer either, that's what you'll learn to become on the course.

Another question,how is it possible to take a part in London fashion week as a CSM fashion graduate??I think everyone has not equal chance to take part in final graduate show?How do the tutors determine which students take part in there?Especially as per international students side?

Each 'fashion design' pathway (womenswear, menswear and knitwear) will select a group of students to participate in London Fashion Week. Unfortunately, it's not possible to give every student the opportunity, due to the restriction and budget. How they determine who does and who doesn't? I can't really answer this question definitively, especially since the course team seems to have changed somewhat since I was a student. Generally, they like students who break convention and try something entirely different. They want beautiful catwalk pieces that will inspire and surprise. I would suggest looking at the work of CSM alumni like Gareth Pugh and Hussein Chalayan, both from this course, that were chosen to exhibit at London Fashion Week and have since become internationally renowned. Sadly, not everybody will attain this fame, that's part of the business. I ended up working in graphic design (advertising and branding), branching away from fashion design, which I didn't expect when I underwent the course all those years ago.

If you haven't already seen this, here is CSM's contribution to London Fashion Week:

Hopefully, this will give you an idea of the type of work they'll be looking for. Obviously, they're not expecting you to mimic what's shown in this video, but to have same approach to your work.

I am international so I will send my portfolio by postal.Do you think best way to present it by cd OR sketchbook?

I can't answer this definitively. Do you have the opportunity to present both, both CD and sketchbook? If not, I would suggest making sure that the work on the CD is easily accessible. The most easiest would be a PDF file, but you can also make something in PowerPoint, should you wish. It's important to clarify how you should present your work with the college and/or international office.

I have not techinal drawings,I have artistics drawings only,do you think that it is a problem?

I don't believe so, it's not a requirement to have flats (technical drawings). If anything, they want to see that you have the ability to draw, which is what you have.

Is it possible to work parttime during study?Internationals have 20 hours permit only..I know you were also international,what do you suggest to me?
Sorry for many questions & many thanks for your help:smile:

It's possible to work part time, yes. I worked once a week on a Sunday at a clothing store (Miss Sixty) during my first year. It's possible, but you need to manage your time around it. When you're not in class, you will be expected to produce work. I stopped working during my second and third year, because they're more important. It just depends on how good your time management is, and whether you're handling the work okay. It's dependent on the individual.

Hope this helps, and if you have any further enquiries, do not hesitate to ask. :smile:
Reply 4
I agree with you that portfolio advise in the course leaflet seems helpful.As far as I understand from leaflet and from your experience&advises,I need to put into it much more stuff except my drawings/illustrations..Something like you said that are taught in foundation..a mixture of everything, ranging from fine art to graphic design.
For example things,photos,persons,figures,prints that inspired me while creating my collection ....may be some prints/figures created by me and was used in final piece/design..I mean they would be happy when they see all related things that I did whilst my design process..But key is that all other creative stuff except my drawings must be related to my final piece,right?I need clarification about this.
About London fashion week,thanks for the video:smile:There must be a fine race between students during study:smile: And yes,you are right that everyone can not attain this fame.
Many thanks again,for your kind help :smile:
Reply 5
Hey Aiko!What do you advise to me about above?Thanks...
Reply 6
Original post by Aiko
Not a problem and I'm glad my advice elsewhere on this forum has been of some use. :smile:

When I say 'fashion experience', I'm referring to working in the fashion industry, in some capacity. From my understanding, they do not expect this from you to gain acceptance onto the course. The wide majority of the students that entered my course were new to fashion design, let alone working in the industry as one. Many came directly from CSM's foundation course, which endeavoured to teach them the general principles of art and design (so, a mixture of everything, ranging from fine art to graphic design, not just fashion design). As such, CSM will not be looking for a portfolio of work that is strictly fashion design orientated, nor will they be looking for finished pieces only. They are far more interested in the development of your ideas leading up to your final piece. In other words, your creative process. This is detailed in the course leaflet I linked above.

I can't comment on what the international office told you, only from my own experience when I gained acceptance and from what students on the course told me. Furthermore, the CSM website does list everything you need to know regarding entry under the 'Entry Requirements' tab. As you've rightly stated, the primary criteria for entry will be your portfolio of work. It does not state anywhere that you need prior work experience. In retrospect, maybe I misunderstood what you meant when you said 'fashion experience'. In any case, it's also not a requirement to be a fully fledged fashion designer either, that's what you'll learn to become on the course.

Each 'fashion design' pathway (womenswear, menswear and knitwear) will select a group of students to participate in London Fashion Week. Unfortunately, it's not possible to give every student the opportunity, due to the restriction and budget. How they determine who does and who doesn't? I can't really answer this question definitively, especially since the course team seems to have changed somewhat since I was a student. Generally, they like students who break convention and try something entirely different. They want beautiful catwalk pieces that will inspire and surprise. I would suggest looking at the work of CSM alumni like Gareth Pugh and Hussein Chalayan, both from this course, that were chosen to exhibit at London Fashion Week and have since become internationally renowned. Sadly, not everybody will attain this fame, that's part of the business. I ended up working in graphic design (advertising and branding), branching away from fashion design, which I didn't expect when I underwent the course all those years ago.

If you haven't already seen this, here is CSM's contribution to London Fashion Week:

Hopefully, this will give you an idea of the type of work they'll be looking for. Obviously, they're not expecting you to mimic what's shown in this video, but to have same approach to your work.

I can't answer this definitively. Do you have the opportunity to present both, both CD and sketchbook? If not, I would suggest making sure that the work on the CD is easily accessible. The most easiest would be a PDF file, but you can also make something in PowerPoint, should you wish. It's important to clarify how you should present your work with the college and/or international office.

I don't believe so, it's not a requirement to have flats (technical drawings). If anything, they want to see that you have the ability to draw, which is what you have.

It's possible to work part time, yes. I worked once a week on a Sunday at a clothing store (Miss Sixty) during my first year. It's possible, but you need to manage your time around it. When you're not in class, you will be expected to produce work. I stopped working during my second and third year, because they're more important. It just depends on how good your time management is, and whether you're handling the work okay. It's dependent on the individual.

Hope this helps, and if you have any further enquiries, do not hesitate to ask. :smile:

Thank you for all the information you've put on here ! it's helped me also. I've applied for Fashion Design (womens) at CSM, bit nervous but havn't heard anything back yet, just wondered what your experience of CSM was like, as i've heard mixed reviews. Thanks :smile:
hi can anyone advise me on how many people doing LCF and CSM BA womenswear courses have previously done foundation courses in england for two years, the reason i am asking is because due to the recent increase in tuition fees i can no longer afford to study a foundation course at up to 9,000 pounds a year, can anyone help me i am so stuck on what to do but still very very passionate about studying BA fashion at a good uni!!

Quick Reply

Latest