The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How are deaf people going to use them then?
Reply 2
I don't know exactly how loud 80dB is, but on principle alone, no, of course not. That's stupid. Put warnings on the packet, fine, but don't make it compulsory.
Reply 3
I can see where they're coming from, but there are so many ways to do in your hearing like turning your speakers up on your PC, hi-fi, TV etc.

If they're going to put an initial limit on of 85, then that's fine; but keep the ability to change the limit and accompany it with a warning stating some dangerous levels for hearing.
Trouser Snake
EU has called for volume limits on MP3 players, stating that they should have their volume controls limited to prevent hearing damage.

The default setting on all personal music players would be 80db

What do you think?

just so you know 80dB isnt a volume..

80dB alone means nothing.. it needs a reference such as SPL or AV ect ect :P
People would just find ways to take the restrictions off, especially for popular devices like iPods.
go for it.
Reply 7
But as a result of people not wearing headphones to use their PC, many people turn their speakers up louder. I reckon the intensity would still be the same at the point where it reaches your ears, thus, having the same negative effect.
Reply 8
No, because speakers are used also, not just headphones.
Reply 9
How do you know? I can hear my neighbour's music right now, through 2 layers of brick and insulation, and I don't even think he has a subwoofer or anything to up the bass. I'd say he's doing a fair bit of damage to his ears.
Reply 10
i thought that the uk already had a limit as i have seen adverts for American ipods which says 'no volume limit' which suggests that the uk ones do have a volume limit =/ :s-smilie:
I thought it was 80db which could be changed by the user to 100db max or something similar?

Anyway I think its a good idea. Taking aside usual prejudice against EU regulation and 'nanny state' I think it would be very beneficial, lets be honest most people don't know what level is safe for their ears and this would help to stop them causing serious and costly long term damage.
Reply 12
The problem with this is that an 80dB limit is meaningless - I've got a decent pair of noise isolating earphones, and a pair of open headphones. The earphones are painfully loud with my iPod on half volume, but even full volume leaves the headphones a bit underpowered. It depends on the sensitivity and impedance of the headphones. I don't mind a preset limit as long as I can bypass it (and not just to 100dB on some arbitrary pair of earphones).
I already have this thread running 4 minutes before yours.
They already do this.
At least it would stop the plebs who have a combination of sound leaking headphones and high volume in public, not a good combination.
He has like a normal set of speakers, nothing impressive.

Let me put it another way.

They're going to limit it to 85 with increase to 100.

From one study:
Headwize reports that a study conducted on music listeners using headphones revealed that while indoors with no background noise, the participants were comfortable with their music at 69 decibels. Outdoors, where the background noise was recorded at 65 decibels, participants using their headphones turned the volume up to 82 decibels and as high as 95 decibels to drown out the surrounding noise.

That's not over 100, at any time.

Of course the odd person will crank it up to over 100dB, but that odd person is probably the same person who has their music blaring above 120dB in their home.
Indeed it would, hence I suggested removing the 100 limit and warning people of the health risks.
Well my sony has one, and I'm fairly sure lots do, though you can turn it off. It they change it so you can't turn it off they can go screw themselves. (Having said that, I don't really go over the limit anyway)
Oh whatever, if we can just ignore it I don't care much. If it'll keep the EU happy, might as well :P

Latest

Trending

Trending