The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Combined Honours in Arts/Social Sciences Applicants 2010

I've noticed there's a lot of us here who are applying for Combined Arts/Social sciences, and thought it might be nice to have a thread for us, seeing as the history applicants have one :smile:

So, which one is everyone applying for? Arts or Social Sciences? What subjects are you wanting to study and what college have you applied to?

And has anyone's application been passed to a college/a decision been made yet?

Name : Debbie
Applying to : Arts
Subjects: History and Philosophy
College: Trevs
Decision: Don't know yet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helloo :smile:

Name : Alice
Subjects: Maths and french
College: Grey
Decision: still waiting..
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
That's a good idea, every second post in the general thread has been about Combined honours during the past days, since there seem to be a few of us... :biggrin:

Name : Anni
Applying to : Social Sciences
Subjects: Politics, International Relations and Psychology
College: Castle
Decision: In college
Reply 3
Yeaaah thought we needed one of these.
Name: Rose
Applying to: Arts
Subjects: Italian, Maths and French
College: Cuth's
Decision: Still in department :frown:
Reply 4
Yay, glad to have this thread! :smile:
Name : Lucy
Subjects: Latin and Spanish
College: Hatfield...wish I'd picked Cuth's.
Decision: Department...at least all the arts people still seem to be there...
Reply 5
Can you guys all just like, go back in time and do slightly worse in GCSEs and ASs so I might have a chance? Thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Hopefully we'll hear soon, but does anyone know when last years Arts applicants heard?
Reply 7
Hi guys...I applied last year (for CSS). I don't know any home students who heard before March - so don't worry that your applications are still in the department!

Good luck ;o)
Would I be right to assume, it is unlikely to get an offer, if you didn't get straight A's at GCSE and only got AAABC at AS!
Reply 9
ollieAGS2010
Would I be right to assume, it is unlikely to get an offer, if you didn't get straight A's at GCSE and only got AAABC at AS!

I'd hope not! I didn't get straight As at GCSE. I guess your ASs lower your chances a bit but you still have 3 As, and 3 is what you need for the course so you still have a chance I'd say. I'm trying to stay positive about my application but it's not too easy lol! Good luck!
Reply 10
There's always a chance. It is very competitive, but so long as you're predicted AAA (at least) you could get an offer, with a good personal statement. Was the school you did your GCSEs in a below-average one, because if so, they'll take that into account? Obviously, straight As wouldn't hurt, but it's not the only thing they look for.

I'm only applying this year, so don't take what I say as absolute correct cos it might be wrong, but that's what I understand from what I've heard.
Nope I go to a grammar school, and I got 3A*, 6A and 3B which is alright, but not convinced it is enough! Got rejected from Exeter because my GCSE english was only B, not confident, but i can only wait i suppose!
Reply 12
Those grades aren't bad at all! They are majority A/A* anyway, and nothing lower than a B.

No one's guaranteed a place, not even people with straight A*s, there's so many factors that come into it, so we're all going to have to wait and see.

On the bright side (well, it's horrible for the people who it's happened to so not a very bright side I guess) some people have already been rejected, so they've started going through the applications. No news is good news.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 13
Does anyone know if you can swap from Arts to SS? I've applied for Arts intending to do two arts and one social science but am now leaning towards 2 SS and one art...is that possible or no?
Reply 14
I think it is but I'm not sure. I remember reading that you can take whatever subjects and your degree title at the end will just be whichever you have more modules from.
lulalucy
Does anyone know if you can swap from Arts to SS? I've applied for Arts intending to do two arts and one social science but am now leaning towards 2 SS and one art...is that possible or no?

I don't know for sure, but I don't see why this should be a problem since the degrees are almost the same. :rolleyes: Maybe it would even work out to do what you were planning to do through the Arts route? I would just email the department to be sure though. Have you already had an offer? If not I'm sure it would be possible to switch and even if you have one, it might still be no problem.
Reply 16
d123
Those grades aren't bad at all! They are majority A/A* anyway, and nothing lower than a B.

No one's guaranteed a place, not even people with straight A*s, there's so many factors that come into it, so we're all going to have to wait and see.

On the bright side (well, it's horrible for the people who it's happened to so not a very bright side I guess) some people have already been rejected, so they've started going through the applications. No news is good news.

Good luck to everyone!

:eek: Didn't realise rejections had started going out! Argh this is getting worrying. I'm still waiting on two unis other than Durham though so hopefully I'll hear something from someone soon!
Reply 17
Bleurgh
:eek: Didn't realise rejections had started going out! Argh this is getting worrying. I'm still waiting on two unis other than Durham though so hopefully I'll hear something from someone soon!

Have you still not heard? I'm not sure how many of us are left without been rejected!
Name: Georgia
Subjects: Latin and French
College: Hatfield
Decision: Been passed to a college but BLERGH.

Most of the people at my school heard in the first half of December... and got offers!
lookingoutofthewindow
Name: Georgia
Subjects: Latin and French
College: Hatfield
Decision: Been passed to a college but BLERGH.

Most of the people at my school heard in the first half of December... and got offers!

They probably applied to less competetive courses or quicker departments. At least on here very few people (not counting those who pay international fees) were passed to a college before Christmas for Combined Honours and I'm still in college, too btw. I read there are only very few people in the Combined Honours department and therefore they are kind of slow. And the colleges tend to take some time anyways! :rolleyes:

Latest