The Student Room Group

Jan Exams - Revision not working (need to get from D's to A's)

I have Biology Unit 1 and Psychology Unit 1 in January.

Before the Hols I got D's in the mocks, but some topic grades vary.

I really want A's, but nothing seems to sink in when i do practice questions, or copy out, mind maps.

I havnt done as much as i should, but it is so disheartening when i cant see an improvement.

What should i do guys?? and are A grades achievable with lots of work from now on (except new years day).

Sorry for long post, im just gettin down about it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, it is possible.

I need to go from a C to an A this January if I want to go to uni at all, and revision is being stupid.
Don't worry about it, you'll pull it out of the bag, just wing it, just repeat 'I am king of the wing' 100 times in you head each night before you go to sleep.
Cesare Borgia
Don't worry about it, you'll pull it out of the bag, just wing it, just repeat 'I am king of the wing' 100 times in you head each night before you go to sleep.

I dont think winging it will work for AS, i did it at gcse and that was bad enought lolz.
Jingers
Yeah, it is possible.

I need to go from a C to an A this January if I want to go to uni at all, and revision is being stupid.

What exams have you got in jan?
And how much have you been revising and how?
Reply 5
I find using mind maps with colour helps stick things in my head, or just reading it over and again. Good luck anways :smile:
Reply 6
I read the title as, 'Revision, not working' - as in making revision and work two separate entities. If only...

There's no point in doing the practice questions until you've got the topic sussed in your head - make sure you understand it first. Read it over, think it over in your head until you can reason it out and see why it makes sense. I find the best way is to understand it and think it out rather than just copying out and learning paragraphs of facts off by heart. Then when it comes to the exam, you can think it through, even if you can't remember the exact phrase from the spec.

Hope that kinda helps... don't worry about it too much, take a day out from it tomorrow and give your head a rest. A new year might help it all to sink in, you never know! Best of luck :smile:
Irish_boy16
I find using mind maps with colour helps stick things in my head, or just reading it over and again. Good luck anways :smile:

Hi thanks, yh i started doing that. Stadetler fineliners are amazing. Box of 20 for £9 tesco.:smile::smile:

It works a bit for me, still in need of mega help.

Thanks for post tho.

BTW have u got any exams in jan?
Reply 8
I got 300/300 UMS for AS Biology with proper technique, quality > quantity!
Reply 9
just keep at it! if you print off the specs and practise past paper questions topic by topic before doing a whole paper, it usually works best.

I got a U in one of my maths papers, grades came out in march, and by the may exam i got an A!

Nothing's impossible, just keep your head up. if you want it bad enough you'll get it!
fishpie57
I read the title as, 'Revision, not working' - as in making revision and work two separate entities. If only...

There's no point in doing the practice questions until you've got the topic sussed in your head - make sure you understand it first. Read it over, think it over in your head until you can reason it out and see why it makes sense. I find the best way is to understand it and think it out rather than just copying out and learning paragraphs of facts off by heart. Then when it comes to the exam, you can think it through, even if you can't remember the exact phrase from the spec.

Hope that kinda helps... don't worry about it too much, take a day out from it tomorrow and give your head a rest. A new year might help it all to sink in, you never know! Best of luck :smile:

Thanks for the good advice. Have you got any exams in january??

What other revision techniques would you advise for after i have learnt the topics, or to help learn the topics. (mind maps, posters, flash cards etc...) before past papers and practice questions.
whatistheanswer???
Hi thanks, yh i started doing that. Stadetler fineliners are amazing. Box of 20 for £9 tesco.:smile::smile:

It works a bit for me, still in need of mega help.

Thanks for post tho.

BTW have u got any exams in jan?

No all my AS exams in May, Had mocks before christmas. Another thing that helped me with my GCSE's was to make revision cards and make short points, Helped me a lot.
Gunnerzman!
just keep at it! if you print off the specs and practise past paper questions topic by topic before doing a whole paper, it usually works best.

I got a U in one of my maths papers, grades came out in march, and by the may exam i got an A!

Nothing's impossible, just keep your head up. if you want it bad enough you'll get it!

Thanks for post. And yh i will try out your advice. :smile:
Irish_boy16
No all my AS exams in May, Had mocks before christmas. Another thing that helped me with my GCSE's was to make revision cards and make short points, Helped me a lot.

ok cool.
xSkyFire

Proper technique?
xSkyFire

What do you mean by quality > quantity? As in actually understanding the material is better than simply trying to learn it off by heart?
Reply 16
Give yourself an incentive. Little ones every now and then and a big one at the end after your exams. That's what I've started doing and it works really well :yep:
skinnyeddy
Give yourself an incentive. Little ones every now and then and a big one at the end after your exams. That's what I've started doing and it works really well :yep:

Can you give me and example of incentives that you have used?
Reply 18
I Have No Imagination
What do you mean by quality > quantity? As in actually understanding the material is better than simply trying to learn it off by heart?

Well that's true, which is why many people balls up their synoptics exam, but for me downloading every past paper and writing short essay-based answers for each question while cross referencing with multiple text books was the best way forward.

whatistheanswer???
Proper technique?

Yes ^^
Once you've got a broad understanding of the various topics, then doing past papers, looking at the mark schemes and working out where you went wrong can really help. Obviously it's much easier to do with subjects such as maths with set answers than essay subjects such as English lit. That way, you'll get an idea of what types of questions examiners like to ask and which topics you need to work at.

Latest