The Student Room Group

A level maths

Hi, I just started year 12 a level maths and would like to know about any useful resources websites/revision books/channels youd recommend. Also how should i study it and on average, how many hours a week? Sorry for the many questions but any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by KittyKat451
Hi, I just started year 12 a level maths and would like to know about any useful resources websites/revision books/channels youd recommend. Also how should i study it and on average, how many hours a week? Sorry for the many questions but any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I did mine differently and I ended up with an A (unfortunately not an A*), so it works I suppose

I spent 600 hours in total - 300 studying and then another 300 for revision. I spent one month doing 10 hour days studying. For the exam, I spent 1 month straight revising, doing 19-20 past papers.

The more practical person would try to go over all the material and finish in the January prior to the summer when you take your exam e.g. if you take your exams in 2025 for example, I would make sure you have went through all the material before Jan 2025. After Jan, you would spend 3-4 solid months revising since you need time for the material to sink in.

The resources I have used included:

CPG A Level Maths revision guide, exam practice books - not because they were the best, but because they are the only publishers out there that still sell these sort of books

Note: all of the above (except for CPG) have their own YouTube channels with tutorials.

Prior to doing the A Level, I went on YouTube and binge watched videos of the candidates who scored As and A*s in their A Level Maths to get tips on how to score that high of a mark. (Probably watched like 20-30 videos before I called it quits.) I noted down all of their resources and tips. There is a longer list of resources than what I have provided above, but in a practical sense you don't have all the time in the world to go through each resource in depth and still use the material effectively, so I would stick to a handful like I have done above.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! Your advice was super helpful!!!

Quick Reply

Latest